6MT guys - if you are having shifting problems read this - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 05-10-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 159
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
6MT guys - if you are having shifting problems read this

Hellllllo Maserati Life, its been awhile......

Last night I discovered a little trick which I have yet to see posted on any M138 forum anywhere. As I am going into story time shortly I will summarize first:

If you own a 6MT and are having problems with your car going into gear, shifter not centering, going into reverse, or just generally poorer/slower shift than remembered, try removing the pivot arm for the gearshift lever and greasing it. I did so last night and it resolved a nearly two year battle with shifter issues. It took roughly 15 minutes to accomplish, and I now have buttery smooth shifting. Below a link to a picture below highlighting the part (drivers side of the transmission towards the rear for location reference):

https://imgur.com/oQiZ8p7

Now for the story:

For the past two years or so my shifter has been getting progressively more difficult to shift. I had played around with adjusting shifter cables and whatnot, but no matter what efforts I did the shifter refused to auto-center, and I would have to use excessive force to pull it into reverse. I had reserved myself to the fact this was a problem in the shifter assembly and I would have to have the trans/torque tube dropped to replace.

Well, last night I went through a last ditch effort of adjusting the shift cables and turnbuckle again - a process that Maserati should have added the following disclaimer to their service manual: "Warning, this looks line on of the easiest service items you will ever tackle. Jokes on you - we put a crossmember right in the way and left midget hand levels of clearance"

After wresting around with this for the better part of an hour and a half (don't judge - I have no lift yet and working with 6-8" of clearance over your head is not efficient) I connected everything back up, aaaaaaand BAM, not a damn thing changed. Needless to say my level of content with my car was at a record low. As it was a damn nice night and I am still finding excuses to listen to my newly installed garage stereo, which is awesome, I thought I would reverse trace everything to come to the conclusion I knew was inevitably coming - my shifter or cables had some serious resistance and needed replacement.

I disconnected the cables from the ball/socket joints at the trans and proceeded to push/pull. Much to my surprise there was nearly zero drag on them. So I moved to the shift rail. The in/out motion worked a treat, but I could not rotate the rail on axis. So now I had a transmission problem.........just great.

Visions of flatbeds and multi thousand dollar repairs started swirling through my head but I figured I would take the turn buckle off the two balljoints for shits and giggles as I had come this far already.

Elated would be an understatement when I discovered that the rail, once totally isolated, rotated freely. However, the damn pivot bracket was (at this point) frozen solid its shaft. One 13mm wrench, a finger full of grease, and 15 minutes later the bracket was freely moving. Connected everything back up and voila - better shifting than I have had since purchasing the car 3 or 4 years ago.

I was quite surprised by this as I am the type of person to search all possible solutions via various forums when something goes amiss. In this case I have never seen this as a potential issue/solution anywhere, hence this post.

Total time spent on diagnosis/reassembly last night: 2.25hrs. Total time to fix: 12 minutes. Cost: free

For the first time in a loooong time, I am stupid excited to drive my car today!

EDIT: Its raining - go figure

Last edited by Sanmiam; 05-10-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-10-2018, 02:22 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 122
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Interesting post. Never had that issue, but good to know.

To bad there were not more manuals. I think the value of the cars would be a lot higher if there were. People are afraid of CC maintenance costs, wich are overblown somewhat as long as you have a good mechanic.
post #3 of 41 Old 05-10-2018, 02:55 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Very very nice and thank you much for posting!

2002 4200 6MT
1984 Biturbo / Sold after 24 years of ownership!

post #4 of 41 Old 05-10-2018, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Tommy View Post
Interesting post. Never had that issue, but good to know.

To bad there were not more manuals. I think the value of the cars would be a lot higher if there were. People are afraid of CC maintenance costs, wich are overblown somewhat as long as you have a good mechanic.
I saw a number floating around somewhere of 503 for the total model run. That is a ridiculously low number. Granted, the transmission is a dog on comparison to something like an S2000, but I would take it over a CC every day. Nothing against CC's, I just like rowing gears.

I am not, however, surprised by the numbers discrepancy. These were 100K+ cars when new. As the CC was being marketing akin to the greatest advancement since fuel injection, why would someone NOT shell out the additional 5-7K on the option.......unless they were hellbent on a third pedal.
post #5 of 41 Old 05-10-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanmiam View Post
I saw a number floating around somewhere of 503 for the total model run. That is a ridiculously low number. Granted, the transmission is a dog on comparison to something like an S2000, but I would take it over a CC every day. Nothing against CC's, I just like rowing gears.

I am not, however, surprised by the numbers discrepancy. These were 100K+ cars when new. As the CC was being marketing akin to the greatest advancement since fuel injection, why would someone NOT shell out the additional 5-7K on the option.......unless they were hellbent on a third pedal.
I was around when they were selling them and you could not find a 6 speed at any dealer. They also only produced CC's on the early US cars so you had to wait for a manual if you wanted one. Many people gave up and took a CC. The Italians thought the CC was the second coming because Ferrari also used it The production was pre planned at the percentage rate you see without any thought of sales requirement. You bought what the Italians made and liked it.

By the way, I think the 6 speed is not bad at all. Not the best box I have driven but when sorted it is a fast shifter. My main problem with the 4200's is the stock soft suspension. That can be fixed with FD parts but the rear sway bar is a bitch to install!!
post #6 of 41 Old 05-10-2018, 05:10 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 143
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Thank you for the post! I have a 6MT too and when I first purchased the car it was a pain in the arse to get it in reverse and 6th gear. I thought it was just me...maybe something I was doing wrong. It seems much better now (maybe the previous owner never used R and 6 much). All shifts fine now, but every so often I do have difficulties getting into reverse.

Luckily I have a lift at work so the next time I have it up - I will remove an lube that shaft.

Again - Thanks for the post.
post #7 of 41 Old 05-10-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin247 View Post
Thank you for the post! I have a 6MT too and when I first purchased the car it was a pain in the arse to get it in reverse and 6th gear. I thought it was just me...maybe something I was doing wrong. It seems much better now (maybe the previous owner never used R and 6 much). All shifts fine now, but every so often I do have difficulties getting into reverse.

Luckily I have a lift at work so the next time I have it up - I will remove an lube that shaft.

Again - Thanks for the post.

You might be having a problem with the microswitch. Does the reverse beeping sound also go away sometimes?? If so that could be caused by a bad switch. You can see the switch and wire plugged into the bottom of the shifter if you lift up the shifter leather cover.
post #8 of 41 Old 05-10-2018, 05:37 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
I have a 6MT Spyder and love the car. The buy of a lifetime. Thanks for the post about lubricating the pivot arm, sounds like a good idea.

I'd add two comments to the shift mechanism discussion. First, the link in the photo with the 76 mm label looks like a turnbuckle, but it is not. The link determines the 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6 shift locations transversely. You have to take if off and adjust one end or the other to change its length. I find the the best adjustment is that when in second gear you can push the gear lever over to the left about 3/4" to the stop. Everything else then falls into place.

As far as shifting goes remember this is a rear transaxle and you have to synchronise the mass of the drive shaft as well. Yes, it's not a Honda but it probably shifts more like a Ferrari 330/365 which have a similar setup and I'd pay money for that.
post #9 of 41 Old 05-10-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
You might be having a problem with the microswitch. Does the reverse beeping sound also go away sometimes?? If so that could be caused by a bad switch. You can see the switch and wire plugged into the bottom of the shifter if you lift up the shifter leather cover.
I am aware of this microswitch as mine became detached from its mounting location. I also added a back up camera when I upgraded my radio/speakers.

I don't see how that would make it difficult to get in to reverse or 6th.
post #10 of 41 Old 05-10-2018, 06:01 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 53
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanmiam View Post
For the first time in a loooong time, I am stupid excited to drive my car today!

EDIT: Its raining - go figure
Good - then join us on my "Trash Mountain Tour" on Saturday morning! We're starting in Ottsville in case you didn't see the email yesterday. Anyone else in the Doylestown/Bucks area wanting a quick/fun drive on Saturday, PM me for details.

2005 GranSport
1959 Giulietta Sprint
Other older sports/race cars....
post #11 of 41 Old 05-10-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin247 View Post
I am aware of this microswitch as mine became detached from its mounting location. I also added a back up camera when I upgraded my radio/speakers.

I don't see how that would make it difficult to get in to reverse or 6th.

True, I only had a problem like that when the clutch pump was going out. Then it would not go into reverse, 1st and 6th gear. The switch did cause issues going into reverse and also 1st gear. I am lucky I have low mile car that everything was adjusted by the dealer correctly. The only thing I did over the winter was install FD sway bars. I already had the FD springs and it makes a huge difference along with a Larini exhaust. Everything else including the early 4200 wheels are stock.
post #12 of 41 Old 05-10-2018, 06:50 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 239
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
I have a 2006 GT. Beeping noise? I only get slow beeping noise when key is turned, maybe 5 seconds. Faster beep if key is left in ignition and door is open. No beep at all in reverse.

post #13 of 41 Old 05-10-2018, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geflackt View Post
Good - then join us on my "Trash Mountain Tour" on Saturday morning! We're starting in Ottsville in case you didn't see the email yesterday. Anyone else in the Doylestown/Bucks area wanting a quick/fun drive on Saturday, PM me for details.
I saw Steve's e-mail, and trust me - I would like nothing better than to go for a drive on Sat. Unfortunately I have to go to the shore to re-attach a floating dock ahead of my in-laws visit on Memorial day weekend. This Sat is the the last I have available before then.

First world problems, I know.
post #14 of 41 Old 05-10-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
I have a 2006 GT. Beeping noise? I only get slow beeping noise when key is turned, maybe 5 seconds. Faster beep if key is left in ignition and door is open. No beep at all in reverse.

I think all early cars have a built in safety switch that makes a beeping noise when you put it in reverse. Maybe it is only on the back up sensor cars?? I feel like I am in an UPS truck
post #15 of 41 Old 05-10-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
True, I only had a problem like that when the clutch pump was going out. Then it would not go into reverse, 1st and 6th gear. The switch did cause issues going into reverse and also 1st gear. I am lucky I have low mile car that everything was adjusted by the dealer correctly. The only thing I did over the winter was install FD sway bars. I already had the FD springs and it makes a huge difference along with a Larini exhaust. Everything else including the early 4200 wheels are stock.
Tommy are you talking about the F1 cars or Manual Transmissions?

This is all a Manual Transmission Thread/Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode