Catalyst failures, 4200s.....how many? - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 Old 06-26-2010, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Catalyst failures, 4200s.....how many?

In the UK we are concerned about this issue. We are trying to esablish, how many have failed, in or out of standard warranty, expected life of the catalyst and whether Maserati USA have acknowledged that his is a serious issue ( especially due to huge replacement cost!), have Maserati been taken to task about the poor quality, premature failure and has anyone had any luck in getting Maserati to contribute towards a repair?

I await your replies with interest and will feedback info to this board from the UK forums.

P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 06-26-2010, 11:26 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 5,887
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reports of failures are rare on this forum (athought there have been a few). However, Maserati is required to cover any emissions related component for 8 years from the in-service date by US law. 2002 models may just now be uncovered by warranty.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

https://www.instagram.com/revtravis/

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
post #3 of 74 Old 06-27-2010, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that TravisJ, whilst they aren't common over here, we have to remember the very small number of cars sold in the first instance, nevertheless if members could let us know if failures have occurred at an early stage (either years or mileage) it would be very useful!

I had done a search of course before starting this thread, but didn't un-cover anything.

So Maserati USA have footed the complete bill for these premature failures?

P

post #4 of 74 Old 06-27-2010, 12:35 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 688
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I also think it has to be 100,000 miles also in the US. I sold a 90 Toyota MR2 turbo to a girlfriend and the Turbo went out around 50K. My first Turbo car so it was used. I pushed the fact that the turbo is part of the exhaust which part of the emmisions system and must be covered by the federal warranty. At first they said no way. I said well lets ask the Feds what they think if its part of the exhaust and emmisions. They replaced the Turbo for them at NC. I think they were afraid of getting a ruling in court.
What cost them far more down the road on Turbos.

Tom

2005 Coupe GT Gregio Alfieri/ Bordeaux
Larini Mufflers, Larini X Pipe,Larini Silenced De Cat,BMC Air Filter,
2017 Audi S6 murdered out
2012 VW Beetle Turbo 6 speed
2004 Dodge 2500 Diesel 6 Spd
6" lift, 35's, Bully Dog for POWER
2001 Baja 25 Outlaw 502
2009 Ski Doo Summit 146 w/AreoCharger-New Happy switch. Upgraded to Bikeman 880 this season.

No stinking auto's in this house. We all row the gears.
post #5 of 74 Old 06-27-2010, 02:46 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 5,887
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisien View Post
So Maserati USA have footed the complete bill for these premature failures?
If a catalyst, or any emissions related component, fails, the auto manufacturer is required by US law to pay for all repair costs if within the 8 year service period. With that said, there have been stories of Maserati denying such a claim if the failure can be linked to any sort of damage.

Very tricky subject. As you pointed out, there aren't all that many car on the road and the number of catalyst failures are VERY small. Of those failures, an even smaller number will post on any given internet forum. Any feedback we get will be insignificant.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

https://www.instagram.com/revtravis/

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
post #6 of 74 Old 06-27-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

TravisJ, when it failed on mine ( under the first owner), the thing broke up at 5 years old and 30,000 miles, and the concern is that it gets sucked back into the engine and causes complete engine failure too. I am not sure if I read about this happening on this forum but maybe someone can let me know.

It states on my invoice that it was compression tested to ensure it wasn't damaged, a huge loss if it happens!

P

PS The catalyst alone cost $3313 at an exchange rate of $1.50 to the pound sterling!!! Plus fitting.

PPSS As the USA market is the biggest for maserati, plus we imagine a lot of the guys are on the net...hoping to get a fuller picture!
post #7 of 74 Old 06-27-2010, 10:55 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,258
Quote:
TravisJ, when it failed on mine ( under the first owner), the thing broke up at 5 years old and 30,000 miles, and the concern is that it gets sucked back into the engine and causes complete engine failure too. I am not sure if I read about this happening on this forum but maybe someone can let me know.
I know for a fact that Buzz had this happen... I definitely recall seeing a post wherein he mentioned this, and in fact (IIRC) had the entire engine replaced under warranty as a result of front-Cat debris being sucked up into the engine; but I can't find that thread at this time - and I looked quite a bit - maybe you could PM him for further details? I also seem to recall one other person here mentioining this, but I can't recall who it was.

'02 CC Coupe
'75 Merak
post #8 of 74 Old 06-28-2010, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that Desertdawg......will do, and will also bump this thread on occasions to keep it visible to ensure I get as much info as I can!

P

DD...I only see one Buzz listed.......and as Buzz48317...and nothing about catalyst in his posts....someone else?
post #9 of 74 Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,767
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I've seen this happen once on a 4200, the car had the US CATs. The CATs started failing after the driver hit a speed bump on the road and scratched the CATs underneath. Apparently that was enough to make them fail after a few weeks.

--

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it.
post #10 of 74 Old 06-28-2010, 01:30 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,685
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DD's right! My pre cats failed and ultimately killed the engine. When they inspected the pre cats both were completely empty and they assumed I did it on purpose. After bitching to MNA, they inspected the exhaust and found debris stuck in the pinched portion of the pipes. They replaced them under warranty. A short time later my motor started tapping really loud. They found some honeycomb material stuck in one of the oil pumps and decided to replace the engine, again under warranty.

2005 Nero Coupe' CC Vintage
2005 Audi A8L Quattro
2005 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab
post #11 of 74 Old 06-28-2010, 01:38 PM

Did you scratch/hit them from underneath? Its rather strange for the CATs to fail after 5K miles.

--

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it.
post #12 of 74 Old 06-28-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserati Blue View Post
I've seen this happen once on a 4200, the car had the US CATs. The CATs started failing after the driver hit a speed bump on the road and scratched the CATs underneath. Apparently that was enough to make them fail after a few weeks.
Were they replaced under warranty...or put down to accidental damage? When you say "hit".....how badly damaged were the outer covers? Any other info?

P
post #13 of 74 Old 06-28-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeYouZeeZee View Post
DD's right! My pre cats failed and ultimately killed the engine. When they inspected the pre cats both were completely empty and they assumed I did it on purpose. After bitching to MNA, they inspected the exhaust and found debris stuck in the pinched portion of the pipes. They replaced them under warranty. A short time later my motor started tapping really loud. They found some honeycomb material stuck in one of the oil pumps and decided to replace the engine, again under warranty.

I can only assume they failed for no good reason other than poor quality/design etc......like those on my car.....any other info BYZZ?

P
post #14 of 74 Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Were they replaced under warranty...or put down to accidental damage? When you say "hit".....how badly damaged were the outer covers? Any other info?
They were the US version of the CATs, the two primary ones which are welded into the down-pipes.

Their bottom was... scratched with a small indentation. I couldn't see other real damage.

I don't know the owner of the car, I never asked how he paid for the damage.

--

post #15 of 74 Old 06-28-2010, 02:10 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,685
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserati Blue View Post
Did you scratch/hit them from underneath? Its rather strange for the CATs to fail after 5K miles.
There was no indication of any scratching or denting. That's why they had thought someone purposely gutted them.

2005 Nero Coupe' CC Vintage
2005 Audi A8L Quattro
2005 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode