LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-02-2019, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Potential Maserati Biturbo owner?

Hello all!

So I found an 87 biturbo Si for sale on facebook marketplace. I'm interested, however, I know these cars can be an absolute piece of trash if its not a tip top condition one! So what better place to ask advice than here? Basically the jist of it is that it looks pristine inside and out, has no rust and has 57,000 original miles. the part I'm worried about, however, is the internals. The seller says that both turbos have recently been rebuilt but one of the turbine shafts has some pitting that's leaking oil into the exhaust. He sourced one on ebay from a isuzu rodeo? Not 100% sure that would fit but he seems pretty confident. It's a garage kept 3 owner car, he being the 3rd. He says it has not seen regular road use since 2006. The second owner quit using it due to a leak in the clutch cable that the 3rd owner fixed. He says it starts, idles, shifts, and drives well. He used it for the first month or so of ownership and then found the leak in the turbo and quit using it. Basically I'm mostly conflicted on the fact it's been sitting so long and the other is time. I plan on doing most of the maintenance myself. Is this gonna suck me in like I've read it will? Just looking for some opinions from current and former owners. Any help will be massively appreciated. I'll post a link to the car below.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ssenger_banner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-02-2019, 02:48 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,406
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Not super familiar with these old ones, but I have worked on a few..Not the pinnacle of engineering excellence...For $3600.00 that is a pretty cool old car, but you probably need to do all the work yourself for it to make sense.....Not that hard to fix honestly....Jason

ASE Master Tech. 29 years experience
Ferrari, Maserati, Land Rover, & Jaguar technician.
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-03-2019, 05:13 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 878
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
These cars are very temperamental. They can be very fast, though. Only pointers I can give are:

1. Change the oil every 2K miles with synthetic. Otherwise the turbos will overheat and have problems;
2. Grease the driveshaft bushings. It's in the service paperwork. Otherwise they will wear prematurely and you'll get the trademark vibration;
3. Check/test all the electronics. The fuse boxes have weak conductor boards and they will begin to separate. I had to replace mine. It was a direct Ferrari Mondial swap.

It has been years since I've owned these but it was very hard to find a well sorted example, and that was in the 1990s! The '89-'92s are the best to get but nowadays they are unicorns.

Erik Di Somma
2005 Quattroporte
1989 228 (past)
1985 Quattroporte III (past)

post #4 of 5 Old 07-04-2019, 03:49 AM

I own an 87 SpyderI and am just putting it back on the road after an 8 year stint as a conversation piece. You will most likely have issues with leaking steering rack, clutch hydraulics, and brakes (no surprise - same with any car) if you buy it. Issues are some of the parts - especially rear brake parts are very hard to get and pricey. Car starts first spin every time and is a blast to drive - but I never let my AAA card get far from reach when I leave home. It has not let me down yet, but there have been moments......... Filling it up with fuel on a hot Florida is a challenge - one must be patient as it tends to spit back at you, which given the location of the filler neck is not so great for the paint or the boot cover.
Don't plan on making any money, drive it and enjoy it - the naysayers who have never driven a later model injected/5 speed car have no clue what they are talking about. Love the gearbox and the exhaust note with the top down, this car is slowly but surely chipping away at my Jag loyalty.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-04-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Hey there Erik. Thanks for the input. I've been investigating the fuse box issue on the whole and, gleaning from an older thread, it turns out there is some kit to reroute the turbos to another device to lighten the load on the fuse box. I've also read there is a guy here in Texas by the name of Ron Carlson that does good work on them. But I can't find anything else on him. And since you mentioned the turbos, I heard tell of one guy removing both turbos from his. Aside from reducing the horse power, I wonder if that did anything to improve the reliability of the engine... But yeah I'll keep all of this in mind! Thanks again. Here's a link to that thread
https://www.maseratilife.com/forums/...liability.html

Last edited by Biturboguy; 07-04-2019 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode