MASERATI Ghibli 2.8 in USA - Maserati Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
 
mosesbotbol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Maserati Life Posts: 797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Question MASERATI Ghibli 2.8 in USA

Anyone own a MASERATI Ghibli 2.8 in the US?

If not, anyone here own in in EU? Wondering how they are to own. Thoughts? They look like it would neat to import one with little hassle.


Former '85 Biturbo E owner 25+ years ago.

Current cars: 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription | 2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport | 2012 Aston Martin Rapide
mosesbotbol is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-07-2019, 02:04 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Maserati Life Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have one in the EU.

The car in your photo is an early car, with 16" wheels, no ABS, points ignition and the old diff.
I would avoid those cars for various reasons.

Also EU got two engines, one was the 2.0 for Italy and the 2.8 for the rest of Europe.
The 2.0 is more powerful, revs more and has a 6 speed box, the 2.8 is a bit torquier and gets a 5 speed box or an auto.

The later GT and Cup cars with 17" wheels, ABS, new rear subframe, Ferrari diff are the ones to go for.
They are reliable if maintained properly and very nice to drive.
Some parts are now becoming very hard to find.

I think values are set to go up.
dt95aac is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
 
mosesbotbol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Maserati Life Posts: 797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt95aac View Post
I have one in the EU.

The car in your photo is an early car, with 16" wheels, no ABS, points ignition and the old diff.
I would avoid those cars for various reasons.

Also EU got two engines, one was the 2.0 for Italy and the 2.8 for the rest of Europe.
The 2.0 is more powerful, revs more and has a 6 speed box, the 2.8 is a bit torquier and gets a 5 speed box or an auto.

The later GT and Cup cars with 17" wheels, ABS, new rear subframe, Ferrari diff are the ones to go for.
They are reliable if maintained properly and very nice to drive.
Some parts are now becoming very hard to find.

I think values are set to go up.
How's been to own and maintain? Can you find parts easily enough? Any rust issues? The picture I choose was due to the only or best one on autoscout24 at the 25 year old mark. I too think values will go up as I see these as the last of the "real Maserati" and just cooler looking than what they are selling today.

Former '85 Biturbo E owner 25+ years ago.

Current cars: 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription | 2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport | 2012 Aston Martin Rapide
mosesbotbol is offline  
 
Old 02-07-2019, 03:06 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Maserati Life Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
How's been to own and maintain? Can you find parts easily enough? Any rust issues? The picture I choose was due to the only or best one on autoscout24 at the 25 year old mark. I too think values will go up as I see these as the last of the "real Maserati" and just cooler looking than what they are selling today.
You need to have to either have a mechanic who knows their peculiarities or to be able to invest time yourself.
The engines although very reliable, are quite complex, so with no real time diagnostics (they weren't available at the time) it's not easy to diagnose when something goes wrong.
Parts availability as mentioned is not great, but many parts no longer offered by Maserati are just rebadged Fiat, Lancia or Citroen items which are still available cheaply , so if you're willing to do your homework you can find solutions.

Rust is not a major issue, but it's still a 90s Italian car, so don't expect Japanese levels or rust protection.
Wheel arches and firewall need to be checked thoroughly before buying.

There is a Yahoo group called Biturbo Zentrum, which contains a wealth of information and knowledgeable owners.
dt95aac is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
 
mosesbotbol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Maserati Life Posts: 797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
There is a top notch Maserati indy repair shop near my house. They know the biturbo era cars probably the best in the north east of the US. I know my '85 biturbo would rust just looking at it.

Former '85 Biturbo E owner 25+ years ago.

Current cars: 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription | 2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport | 2012 Aston Martin Rapide
mosesbotbol is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 03:58 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Maserati Life Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The earlier biturbos were horrible cars in my opinion.
Badly designed, rust buckets with shitty electrics and temperamental engines.

Ghibli II GT and Cup are not like this.

They were developed with funding that came from Fiat's takeover of Maserati and benefited from access to their parts bin.
The electrical issues were sorted, the rust proofing is much better, the mechanical side of the engines was improved by Cosworth and the electronics
used were the same as the most advanced turbo cars of the era (F40, Lancia Integralle, Ford Escort Cosworth).

I use mine daily without issues.
dt95aac is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
 
mosesbotbol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Maserati Life Posts: 797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt95aac View Post
The earlier biturbos were horrible cars in my opinion.
Badly designed, rust buckets with shitty electrics and temperamental engines.

Ghibli II GT and Cup are not like this.

They were developed with funding that came from Fiat's takeover of Maserati and benefited from access to their parts bin.
The electrical issues were sorted, the rust proofing is much better, the mechanical side of the engines was improved by Cosworth and the electronics
used were the same as the most advanced turbo cars of the era (F40, Lancia Integralle, Ford Escort Cosworth).

I use mine daily without issues.
What are the first model years for Ghibli II GT and Cup? What are you thoughts on the Shamal?

Former '85 Biturbo E owner 25+ years ago.

Current cars: 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription | 2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport | 2012 Aston Martin Rapide
mosesbotbol is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 04:11 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Maserati Life Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
What are the first model years for Ghibli II GT and Cup? What are you thoughts on the Shamal?
Late 1995 for the GT and 96 for the Cup if i'm not mistaken.

The Shamal is a different beast.
Shorter, more powerful and torqey and with narrower tyres than a late Ghibli it can be a handful to drive.

Visually for me they just don't work, but most other people love them.
Price have now gone up significantly so I don't think they are a bargain any more.

Parts were mostly from the biturbo cars of the era, apart from the engine which I think is quite rare.
dt95aac is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
 
mosesbotbol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Maserati Life Posts: 797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt95aac View Post
Late 1995 for the GT and 96 for the Cup if i'm not mistaken.

The Shamal is a different beast.
Shorter, more powerful and torqey and with narrower tyres than a late Ghibli it can be a handful to drive.

Visually for me they just don't work, but most other people love them.
Price have now gone up significantly so I don't think they are a bargain any more.

Parts were mostly from the biturbo cars of the era, apart from the engine which I think is quite rare.
I asked too soon. Looked up prices on the Shamal and they're like 90K CHF! Wow.

21 year old cars can be imported to the US without concern of Emissions and 25 year old cars can be imported without safety concerns. Not sure where the 21 year old Maserati's fit into category one. If they can be imported to the US without a hassle.

Former '85 Biturbo E owner 25+ years ago.

Current cars: 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription | 2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport | 2012 Aston Martin Rapide
mosesbotbol is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:36 PM
 
94massa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cape Cod, USA
Maserati Life Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Recently imported my 94 222 4V from Australia. It is basically an early Ghibli with a few differences. Have owned it for nearly 15 years, and it was a daily driver in Sydney.
Have made a lot of "enhancements" over the years and the car has been awesome. Now much quicker than a Shamal too!

Who is the Boston service shop - is it the guy in Allston?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2224v1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	121175  

Performance enhanced 1994 222 4V
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane....
94massa is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
 
mosesbotbol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Maserati Life Posts: 797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94massa View Post
Recently imported my 94 222 4V from Australia. It is basically an early Ghibli with a few differences. Have owned it for nearly 15 years, and it was a daily driver in Sydney.
Have made a lot of "enhancements" over the years and the car has been awesome. Now much quicker than a Shamal too!

Who is the Boston service shop - is it the guy in Allston?
Is your car on the Cape? I'd love to see. Send me a PM if that's the case (or if anywhere in MA for me to see).

John at Motorsport is an option, but I was referring to Accel Automotive in Waltham. You must be familiar with them if you own a Biturbo (next to Aston Martin dealer). They are masters at older Maserati and Italian cars. European Engineering in Framingham can also handle a lot of the service items.

Former '85 Biturbo E owner 25+ years ago.

Current cars: 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription | 2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport | 2012 Aston Martin Rapide
mosesbotbol is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:56 PM
 
94massa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cape Cod, USA
Maserati Life Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow - that's good to know. Have not been here long and had not heard of them at all. Car is currently at Black Horse Garage in Connecticut getting timing belt, water pump and a few other things done.

Will have it back on the Cape in a few weeks probably. Not even sure if I am going to register it here yet. Will have to see. Will PM.

Thanks!

Performance enhanced 1994 222 4V
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane....
94massa is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
 
mosesbotbol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Maserati Life Posts: 797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94massa View Post
Wow - that's good to know. Have not been here long and had not heard of them at all.
Where the Aston Martin - Lotus dealer is, was an Alfa & Maserati dealer previously. When both marques left the US, the dealership closed and AML moved into it from their old location in Brighton.

The mechanics of the previous dealership (High Performance Cars) opened Accel Automotive. One of their mechanics, Leroy is considered one of the best Alfa mechanics in the country. Accel is a no frills kind of repair shop. They'll fix it right the first time and not charge an arm & leg. Boston Sports Car in Weston, Independent Ferrari in Easton along with Aston Martin - Lotus are all other places you could go. Would be crazy to go to AML with Accel next door. Most likely AML will walk next door to get parts. At least Accel has parts and connections to minimize down time. AML has the computers for the newer & current models should owners not want to go to the Maserati dealer for service.

Former '85 Biturbo E owner 25+ years ago.

Current cars: 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription | 2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport | 2012 Aston Martin Rapide
mosesbotbol is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:51 PM
 
94massa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cape Cod, USA
Maserati Life Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
PM sent....

Performance enhanced 1994 222 4V
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane....
94massa is offline  
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









User Tag List

Thread Tools



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List of USA Maserati dealers ranked by # of sales I love pizza Maserati Lounge 1 11-23-2008 10:46 PM
Maserati Service in NC, USA Ron S Vintage Maserati 0 11-06-2007 02:05 AM
Do people from maserati-usa return phone calls? mmmmmm68 Modern Maserati 7 07-01-2006 08:08 AM
Maserati USA, Went Completely above and Beyond.. demoe Modern Maserati 2 12-22-2005 01:02 AM
Contacts as Maserati USA in New Jersey kbrookings Modern Maserati 3 12-20-2005 04:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome