LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-18-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thinking about buying a BiTurbo

Hi there,

I'm thinking about buying a Biturbo, and wondered what people's opinions where on this Biturbo on eBay.

Link.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-19-2010, 08:16 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,767
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
In general, all cars of that era (biturbo, 224, 222, etc) are considered junk, and for good reasons.

Historically, Maserati went bankrupt because of those cars, they were a complete failure, so they hold no real historical value (didn't win any races or whatever). They were made because of a stupid idea that some idiot (Mr. Tomaso) had, to make cars that were supposed to "take over the US market". End result, the cars were junk from the factory, full of problems and what made Maserati's bad name of reliability.

Anyway, about the car you posted above, it has a lot of rust and needs a lot of work. Are you willing to spend so much money? If you are an engineer yourself, then you might be willing to work on the car on your free time, otherwise the money required to bring that car to good level is too much.

Also, finding parts for that car will be a problem, unless you buy ANOTHER biturbo of the same type and just strip it from the components that you need.

--

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-22-2010, 02:11 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 52
Lester.
What blue is saying is not necesarrily the case. He is right about the one on ebay. i have a 85 biturbo and thank god it is a well sorted one. No real issues and runs like a mother when the twin turbos kick in.
These cars can be alot of fun but they can be tempermental and are not the best daily drivers.
Look for one that has had the infamous fuse box replaced as the ones with the original fuse boxes cause alot of problems. Swapping the fuse box is the first order of business if you buy one with the original box.
The next thing to look at is the turbos. White smoke run, blue smoke run. The turbos can run 1000.00 US to rebuild and another 1000.00 to install. I know i replaced mine due to cracked wastegate seals. Which most of these cars have due to high heat. They still work with the cracked seals but dont get full or keep the boost at max.
Anyway dont be discouraged if you love the car you should get one. If you only like the car maybe not.
Parts are always available thru ebay or david askew in the UK.

Good luck.

85 Biturbo
88 911 Turbo
90 Esprit Turbo

post #4 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 12:39 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 32
I liked mine, granted it was far from stock...made mine into an autocrosser. They're size made them perfect for autocross. With that said, they're a nightmare to find parts for....luckily there are lots of parts cars around (my area at least).

Maz-er-ah-tee....that's how the Canadians say it.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Master Mechanic

Maserati Life Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to JoshH
That one on ebay is a hoopty. I just bought one for $600, 60,000mi 3 owners solid body. The turbos went bad so the last mechanic removed the engine and began diassembly to rebuild and fit bigger turbos.

Are you looking for a project/fixxer upper or a completely sorted out car?
post #6 of 16 Old 01-26-2011, 01:01 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 117
Try Mecum

1985 Maserati BiTurbo E

Selling at Mecum Auction, Kissimmee, FL, with no reserve, on January 27, 2011.

Scheduled to be sold Thursday at 9:10PM.

Televised on HD Theatre.

1985 Maserati Bi Turbo E NotchBack Cpe 185 HP, 5-Speed for sale by Mecum Auction

2004 Coupe GT Grigio Alfieri/Nero - Larini X - Leonardo Rear Cans
2009 Toyota Venza Graphite/Grey
2011 Ford Escape Hybrid Lime Squeeze
post #7 of 16 Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 4
It will be hard to get in well maintaned condition. They become more and more rare on the roads. Howeve, you may try Buy, Sell & Charter Yachts, Watches, Private Jets, Boats, Cars, Motorcycles & Helicopters on JamesList.com or Classic Cars for Sale on Car And Classic, www.carandclassic.co.uk. FREE Private/Trade Classified Adverts for Buyers and Sellers of Old/Used Cars advertising pages - maybe some examples will be found.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 4,087
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
BTW that sold for $5,250 according to website

2005 Coupe GT (true manual) Grigio Palladio/Cuoio
2015 FIAT Abarth Granito Lucente/Nero
2006 GranSport Grigio Alfieri/Nero (fled to the Pacific Northwest)
2005 Quattorporte Blu Nettuno/Cuoio (Gone to parts unknown)
2002 Coupe CC Quarzo Metalica/Cuoio (now the property of our own PhillyMaser16)
post #9 of 16 Old 02-10-2011, 11:35 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 175
Apparently there are a couple of good Biturbos for sale on the DC craigslist, all you have to do is come up with his/ her $19,000 asking price for both cars. That should not be read as a judgement of the owner (in case he reads this). Had I such disposable income I would have bought them straight away when the ad first appeared, even if I was too young to drive.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 4,087
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bski7908 View Post
Apparently there are a couple of good Biturbos for sale on the DC craigslist, all you have to do is come up with his/ her $19,000 asking price for both cars. That should not be read as a judgement of the owner (in case he reads this). Had I such disposable income I would have bought them straight away when the ad first appeared, even if I was too young to drive.
These have been for sale for several years now. Never looked at them personally. The owner is a character (I mean that in a good way), has names for each of them. IIRC they are Carmella and Sofia

2005 Coupe GT (true manual) Grigio Palladio/Cuoio
2015 FIAT Abarth Granito Lucente/Nero
2006 GranSport Grigio Alfieri/Nero (fled to the Pacific Northwest)
2005 Quattorporte Blu Nettuno/Cuoio (Gone to parts unknown)
2002 Coupe CC Quarzo Metalica/Cuoio (now the property of our own PhillyMaser16)

Last edited by veloce49; 02-11-2011 at 04:46 PM.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-11-2011, 04:31 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 15
Bad cars

I have a Biturbo 425 and it is brilliant.As for bad cars I suppose we can start a debate about the subject-1.7 million recalls for Toyota in 2010.However, I agree the Biturbo is temperamental-lots of love and care needed.But hell, I enjoy mine!!
post #12 of 16 Old 10-27-2018, 03:58 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
just bought a 84 NO rust...... help?
post #13 of 16 Old 10-30-2018, 06:43 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 13
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you can find a late model with the 4 valve engine that has been looked after - they are great. If your budget will stretch, then find an early well looked after Ghibli. If you are in the US, these are getting very close to the 25 year rule.

Performance enhanced 1994 222 4V
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane....
post #14 of 16 Old 12-06-2018, 08:12 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 3
Garage
I have an '87 Spyder with FI and it runs well, low miles, no rust, original everything. only issue is the windshield is starting to delaminate as these are known to do.
It's not a practical daily driver, but its great in the summer in good weather.

I haven't had any problems finding parts, there's a place in Italy that seems to have every nut and bolt for the car, the prices are not any worse than any other exotic, only bad cost is the shipping.

Probably I should sell mine or swap it for something more practical that I could drive in the NY winters.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-31-2018, 06:48 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 797
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Rust is a killer on these. If there's any, walk away. They're also very low to the ground. Oil plans can get sheered off like nothing. Emissions equipment is awful.

When the car is running at 90% or better they are ton of fun. GTV6 is a better 80's Italian car IMO. If you can find the tail end of the Biturbo cars they are a lot more interesting. Ghibli coupe is neat.

Former '85 Biturbo E owner 25+ years ago.

Current cars: 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription | 2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport | 2012 Aston Martin Rapide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List
mike over

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode