Maserati Forum banner

Recent Alfieri and GranTurismo Info

30K views 90 replies 29 participants last post by  Sargepug 
#1 ·
#44 ·
Today I heard that the Alfieri will not be coming out and it's strictly rumors. Because the Alfa Romeo 6C is coming out in a few years, FIAT doesn't deem it necessary to have the same car (Maserati and Alfa Romeo) be in the market. Plus, Alfa Romeo needs another car in their lineup. I heard this from a Maserati dealership but it is what I heard so I don't know how credible it is.

#45 ·
I have heard similar and that they will try and do a lighter, stripped out, V6 version of the new GranTurismo to fill the gap.

Timing of the new GranTurismo sounds uncertain and it could easily be as late as 2019. There is talk of the current car not meeting European emissions and having to stop sales come end of 2016. If so I presume they will keep it running to ROW as the 4C won't be enough to keep Modena busy?

#47 ·
FCA seem to be investing in Alfa at the moment. Even if the Alfieri is coming there seems to be little signs of information, mules out running etc. Ditto for the GranTurismo replacement for that matter. I guess it all depends on how much cash the Levante pulls in.

#52 ·
Recent? No... Last I read Bigland said the Alfieri was in an indefinite "holding pattern" and there was a "possibility" of a GT replacement for 2020. I would think that, given the recent refresh, the current incarnation would still be produced for another year or two simply to ensure Mas has a GT in their lineup.

#54 ·
Hello Merak1974, how are you doing (I was away from Maserati for a few years)?

Definitely great news about the Alfieri, can't wait to see the final version.

#56 ·
WO WO WO STOP THE CLOCK! :grin2:

I'm turning 50 in 2020 and was going to splurge on a new Ferrari, Mclaren or the likes. If this is really happening and it will have blistering performance in the 2 sec 0-60 range, I'm in!
My '18 M5 is in the 2 sec crowd and it's insane, but to have an exotic goddess like this do the same.....!

#62 ·
Current focus is on the "little" SUV (based on the Alfa Stelvio) and on the GT successor which which must be able to accommodate all three engine concepts (ICE, Hybrid and full electro). The GT successor should come in 2022 on the market. The production of the current GT will definitely be discontinued by the end of this month.

They also work on a 2-seater mid-engined sports car with carbon chassis (positioned somewhere in the segment of Audi R8/McLaren GT), but its production is not safe.

Ghibli and QP still get a facelift. It is checked whether these two product lines are brought together again. That could mean that there will be no Ghibli with the new model generation. Only the QP, which will cover both segments. Reason: the QP has a more consistent history with better marketing potential, while the current Ghibli just does not fit with the first model. In other words, the Ghibli sells massively below expectations, these two product lines require a great deal of action.

But as it is, at Maserati you are never sure what will happen. But one thing is certain, the Alfieri id dead.

#67 ·
That would make sense, making Maser's line-up:

An SUV or two
A sedan or two
A sports car
A luxury GT

It sounds like the "sports car" offering is merely a concept and marketing study at present, with no confirmed/approved plan to launch (completely unsurprising).

What is surprising is that its still unclear on the timing for a new Luxury GT?

Can anyone shed some light on when the GT replacement is coming out?

Is it even confirmed publicly by Maser?

If so, why no sightings of prototypes running around?

No pics of...well...anything to prove its being developed, let alone nearing public launch and sale?
I wrote it a few lines above, the GT successor should come in 2022 on the market, not earlier (the car will use all drive technologies). My colleague told me he saw some desing pictures of the new GT which were not yet concrete, he saw just a beautiful car with a collection of today well known style elements (a Levante Trofeo compressed to a GT). He said the design direction is clear and he is sure that Maserati is still working on some exclusive design elements.

#68 ·
I wrote it a few lines above, the GT successor should come in 2022 on the market, not earlier (the car will use all drive technologies). My colleague told me he saw some desing pictures of the new GT which were not yet concrete, he saw just a beautiful car with a collection of today well known style elements (a Levante Trofeo compressed to a GT). He said the design direction is clear and he is sure that Maserati is still working on some exclusive design elements.
Ah, thanks. Sorry I missed that. Leads to another question:

Why are they stopping making/selling the GT for 2 years (or more) before the replacement comes out?

That's highly unusual...not to mention economically interesting...I wonder what is causing them to take that decision?

#60 ·
LOL. This thread started in 2014! The current GT platform started in 2008 (designed before and ready to go in 2007). You can't make this stuff up! In 2007 Ferrari were on the 430. Then the new platform 458. It even got two major refreshes along the way in the 488 and the just-launched F8. Porsche were on the 997 back in 2007. Even Aston has long-since launched an all new Vantage (with their limited resources). This is embarrassing for Maserati.

#74 ·
At any rate, a prototype looking so fantastically good as the Alfieri, and stirring so much interest, even if cancelled as a regular series model, should have been allowed to be built as a small-series project. I really think Maserati lost out on an opportunity here...

#77 ·
Cross-posting this from my post in the GT forum:

Its "official" from their investor conference yesterday (at least as official as anything from Maserati can be):

A new 2-seat sports car (aka the car that they have promised since they showed the Alfieri concept car) AND a new GT (finally).

Alfieri (or whatever it will be called and whatever it will look like) in 2020

New GT in 2021.

2021? Only what...14 years after the original? Not bad :cautious:

#78 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.