Bora crash story - Cica about 1997 - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 08-02-2016, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bora crash story - Cica about 1997

I live near Seattle and saw this ad. for a Bora for sale. At that time the owner wanted about $40,000 for it. I had ridden in one years before, had owned Ferrari's and thought Bora's were pretty cool cars. The owner lived in Bellevue. The car had a repaint and mechanicals gone thru, but interior was stock and pretty shabby. Tires were worn which contributed to the crash.
So it was a Saturday morning abut 10:00 and drizzle was falling - typical NW weather. The owner seemed like a normal guy and I smell no alcohol on him. We head out east on Hiway 90 going up towards Snoqualmie pass thru the cascades. The drizzle has now turned to light rain and the wipers were intermitant at best and moved when they felt like it - typical worn Italian electrics. We were going about 80 mph and I was getting a little concerned he was driving too fast for the conditions, rain, worn tires etc. I asked him to slow down and he pretty much ignored me. So on we go slowly increasing in speed. The last time I looked at the speedometer we were going 100mph. About then we came upon a large puddle in the lane we were in - probably 20' in diameter. We hit this puddle and started to hydroplane immediately. We did a couple of fast fish tails then lost control spinning 360 degrees and started sliding towards the guard rail on the side of the freeway. Thank god the car has a low CG as we hit the guard rail going backwards at around 90mph with the left rear of the car, so the engine's mass and body and suspension took most of the force. We spun around again clipping the front left corner of the car and finally coming to rest with the left rear on top of the guard rail pointing back into traffic. We smelled gas and got out of the car fast. Neither of us got hurt at all, but the car was totaled.
The cop showed up and interviewed some other drivers that said we passed them like they were standing still. The cop wanted to take possession of the car and jail the driver. The driver talked the cop out of it in the ensuing hour it took for the tow truck to show up and lift the Bora off the guard rail. He ended up with a $500 ticket for speeding and a $400 tow bill to get the car back to Bellevue. The Bora was now a parts car. Left rear suspension completely destroyed and probably impossible to rebuild. I have been in roll over accidents before and fully expected to roll again, but the guard rail saved us. He also had to pay the state some money to repair the guard rail - we pushed it over about 20 degrees from the impact and it had two 8"x8" posts supporting it.

A wild ride indeed. I have photos of before and after, but not digital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-04-2016, 10:02 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 430
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_787 View Post
I live near Seattle and saw this ad. for a Bora for sale. At that time the owner wanted about $40,000 for it. I had ridden in one years before, had owned Ferrari's and thought Bora's were pretty cool cars. The owner lived in Bellevue. The car had a repaint and mechanicals gone thru, but interior was stock and pretty shabby. Tires were worn which contributed to the crash.
So it was a Saturday morning abut 10:00 and drizzle was falling - typical NW weather. The owner seemed like a normal guy and I smell no alcohol on him. We head out east on Hiway 90 going up towards Snoqualmie pass thru the cascades. The drizzle has now turned to light rain and the wipers were intermitant at best and moved when they felt like it - typical worn Italian electrics. We were going about 80 mph and I was getting a little concerned he was driving too fast for the conditions, rain, worn tires etc. I asked him to slow down and he pretty much ignored me. So on we go slowly increasing in speed. The last time I looked at the speedometer we were going 100mph. About then we came upon a large puddle in the lane we were in - probably 20' in diameter. We hit this puddle and started to hydroplane immediately. We did a couple of fast fish tails then lost control spinning 360 degrees and started sliding towards the guard rail on the side of the freeway. Thank god the car has a low CG as we hit the guard rail going backwards at around 90mph with the left rear of the car, so the engine's mass and body and suspension took most of the force. We spun around again clipping the front left corner of the car and finally coming to rest with the left rear on top of the guard rail pointing back into traffic. We smelled gas and got out of the car fast. Neither of us got hurt at all, but the car was totaled.
The cop showed up and interviewed some other drivers that said we passed them like they were standing still. The cop wanted to take possession of the car and jail the driver. The driver talked the cop out of it in the ensuing hour it took for the tow truck to show up and lift the Bora off the guard rail. He ended up with a $500 ticket for speeding and a $400 tow bill to get the car back to Bellevue. The Bora was now a parts car. Left rear suspension completely destroyed and probably impossible to rebuild. I have been in roll over accidents before and fully expected to roll again, but the guard rail saved us. He also had to pay the state some money to repair the guard rail - we pushed it over about 20 degrees from the impact and it had two 8"x8" posts supporting it.

A wild ride indeed. I have photos of before and after, but not digital.
Wow! .. and luckily you survived to tell the story!

'74 Merak
'99 3200GT
post #3 of 3 Old 08-04-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 19
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes we were lucky as we hit the guard rail going backwards, so we were pushed into the back of the seats. Hat we hit nose first the seat belts would have hopefully kept us in our seats but we would have gotten sore from the belts I'm sure. The owner wasn't a rich guy and his wife was really pissed when she saw what had happened. I got out of there fast

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode