Parts Prices - is this for real? - Maserati Forum

Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Vintage Maserati ::

Parts Prices - is this for real?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 5
Default Parts Prices - is this for real?

Just came across this listing - unbelievable!

Is this typical in the Maserati world??

Maserati Cheney Heater Hose Clamps Ferrari OEM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:54 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 2,553

I guess the seller thinks he can get away with tightening the screws like that...

2007 Quattroporte Sport GT Auto
FD DBW, FD ECM
Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Master Mechanic
Sponsor

Maserati Life Posts: 59

Cheney clamps were the most used coolant hose clamps on Ferraris and Maseratis in the late fifties and sixties. There are reproductions but they don't tighten very well. Most restoration houses media blast and re-silver cadmium plate the clamps. Most of the time good Cheney clamps bring $50 to $60 a piece. If you want your car to be correct for the period that's what it takes. This is why if you restore and old car it can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:33 AM
Master Mechanic

Maserati Life Posts: 1,343
Send a message via Yahoo to ECSofVirginia

Agreed with Richard. These are one of the most elusive and sought after original parts for vintage restorations. As you can imagine, many of these were discarded over the decades.

Many of us are willing to sell kidneys for a complete set of clamps to complete a Pebble beach restoration.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:31 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 75

So, if you are doing a concours restoration you spend the $$$. If you are doing a driver, use other clamps. BUT, you will notice these are not the cheese grater type of clamps commonly sold they have a smooth inside and do not destroy the hoses.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:43 AM

I hear what you say but ...

I am considering purchase of a 1960s-vintage Maserati which is the reason I was drawn to this forum. It will be a car to be used and enjoyed. The eBay listing made me think twice ....

Cheney Clamps were used in a very wide range of cars at the time - this was largely because they were relatively cheap. William Lyons of Jaguar (known for his penny-pinching ways) used them in abundance for this reason.

They are limited-life "service" items. Think about it - the very place where you want the threads to be intact is likely to be worn/damaged/thin after removal/replacement. No amount of cleaning/painting will remedy this.

Their design is not ideal because the screw head is round and won't take a hex-fastener. After years of use the slots may be worn by careless use of a screwdriver. Do you want to risk that "Pebble Beach" paintwork with a slip of a screwdriver?

OK - perhaps a "Pebble Beach" restoration may warrant the use of these clamps - but at this price?? I do have a container of original 1960's tyre-air for $90 if anyone Pebble-Beachers are interested. It should take as little as 40 cans to fill the tyres ...

*Neville lights the blue touchpaper and retires to a safe distance*
Old 02-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Master Mechanic
Sponsor

Wait until you price the yellow spiral wound fuel hose at $12.00 per inch. It all depends on how you think you'll be using the car. If you want a show car it's going to be expensive, ask any Pebble Beach quality restoration house and they will tell you it's $300,000 to get a car to PB. I've seen it done, and that will not necessarily get you a prize. If you're putting together a very nice driver vintage Maserati it won't cost you a fortune but be prepared.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Master Mechanic

Maserati Life Posts: 1,343
Send a message via Yahoo to ECSofVirginia

These types of detail items have little to do with mechanical logic. For many years shops were re-plating original Nyloc nuts in an effort to maintain correctness.

We both know there is no good mechanical reason to reuse these nuts, it's simply to look at. Only within the last couple of years has it become acceptable to replace these items with current Nyloc nuts to preserve the safety and functionality of the automobiles.

There is no logic and reasoning available to convince one the value of spending on these items. It comes down to simple supply and demand. Either you want your car to be a near perfect representation of the original, regardless of functionality and are willing to spend until you meet that goal...or you just want to drive and enjoy the car for yourself in which a modern part is more functional and less expensive.

There is no logical reason to spend 6 figures on a vintage car versus a modern car. They drive poorly, are uncomfortable and require specialized and expensive service...compared to modern automobiles. But we spend the money on vintage cars anyways, not because it makes sense but because we receive emotional satisfaction from the experience.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
... we spend the money on vintage cars anyways, not because it makes sense but because we receive emotional satisfaction from the experience ...
Nicely put - and so true
Old 02-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Master Mechanic
Sponsor

I'l drink to that, I live and breath it everyday. The Vintage cars are about art and not science.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:11 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 4

I've bought several parts for my QP3 from this guy on eBay and found it to be a reliable experience. The rareness of the parts have a lot to do with the price. Like everything else, you have to look around. My light switch went out not long ago and everywhere that says Maserati on it wanted at least $45 for a new one. I found the same switch was used on the 79 MGB, $9.99 plus shipping. Some of it has to do with the economics of scale, exotic dealers sell less parts, have to make more on each one.
Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Vintage Maserati Parts Prices - is this for real?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.