Maserati Forum banner

cost of ownership? will she suck you dry like a high maintenance girlfriend?

11K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  RickBullotta 
#1 ·
how much does it cost to own a maser GS? i hear stories about spending 4k on clutches every 20k miles. etc.

#2 ·
just turned 12K on mine & she's in the shop for the clutch repair.....guess mine is a supermodel

#23 ·
The car will depreciate less and will still look good 20 years from now.

Remember "The car will get you the girl, before the girl will get you the car!"

#8 ·
4k every 20k is the only thing i know of, and since there are no private maserati repair companies etc you would have to go to the ferrari dealership for checkups etc, maybe im stereotyping but that sounds expensive everytime you drive in there. i have also heard stories of the feared "check engine light". there where also people who claim to spend 15k a year for maintenance

#10 ·
4k every 20k is expensive for a lexus. When you have to change brakes, clutch, f1 pump etc, thats were the additional costs come from.

When you look online for the car.. think of the guy who bought it and didnt want to take it to the dealer so he could save money and make the maintence fit the lexus budget. Or, skipped the oil changes, had a cheap bodyshop repair the minor collision damage, re-sprays, glue interior parts, major rim scratches, etc... Those are your 30k range cars.

#14 ·
Would agree in general.

In some instances (ie pads), you can source aftermarket parts a lot less expensively than the OEM but for the majority you will be paying dealer rates.

I haven't found a soruce for aftermarket rotors yet but that is next on my list!

#13 ·
Cost of ownership depends on your willingness to open the hood and crawl under the car yourself, just like a ferrari. You either have got to pay to play, or know what you're doing. If you don't want to do either, then this car (or any exotic) isn't for you.

Cost will depend on many things, mainly related to driving style. Drive hard and fast? Be prepared to buy tires often. Want the flappy paddle gearbox? Be prepared to replace the clutch and or pump to the tune of a couple K every 15-20,000mi. Want to abuse the car? Be prepared to fix any host of things that will break on ANY abused car, except add a couple of 0's. As a note, the 6 speed manual goes through clutches less quick than the CC, and also doesnt have an F1 pump to replace.

Every type of car, from any make out there will have a few horror stories, chevy or ferrari. When buying one of these, you should do your due diligance, investigate the car thoroughly before purchasing, and go with the logical decision. Not emotional. An example- i felt that i higher mileage car would be better sorted than a low mileage garage queen. I went, found a good example, took a chance, and 10000 miles (and 7 months) later, she performs beautifully. I had to fix the reverse switch, the A/C control knob, and change the oil. Though now i am debating selling it for one of those 8 cylinder engine out problem vehicles :rolleyes: :D

#15 ·
also depends on the mileage you're doing each year and if it's city or highway driving.

Oil every 3,000 or once a year
Clutch at 15,000-20,000
Brakes/rotors at 50,000
replace cracked/bent wheel once a year at least
Recharge AC each spring
O2 sensors 40,000

2005 with 66,000 miles, I've been spending about $10,000/year in general maintenance...a little more now that we're out of warranty:
$7800 new headers (bottomed out)
$600 airbag seatbelt sensor
$200 airconditioning recharge
$6000 replace wheels
$900 fix hood release latch
$350 for oil change

Some maintenance items replaced before 50,000 mile warranty ran out
XENON ballasts
Headlights
Leather dash front
Seat rails
Passenger seatbelt retractor
AC vent trim
Center clock
Dash lights
keyfob

#19 ·
Ouch!

also depends on the mileage you're doing each year and if it's city or highway driving.

Oil every 3,000 or once a year
Clutch at 15,000-20,000
Brakes/rotors at 50,000
replace cracked/bent wheel once a year at least
Recharge AC each spring
O2 sensors 40,000

2005 with 66,000 miles, I've been spending about $10,000/year in general maintenance...a little more now that we're out of warranty:
$7800 new headers (bottomed out)
$600 airbag seatbelt sensor
$200 airconditioning recharge
$6000 replace wheels
$900 fix hood release latch
$350 for oil change

keyfob
you have to spend more than 10k to keep a 3 year old GS in shape?
sounds like a bit overpriced, no? :)

#17 ·
We are considering building replacement brake rotors as we have not found anyone that makes them for the Maseratis yet. It may be a bit too long to help out your situation. We'll keep everyone posted as we progress.

#18 ·
We know that the calipers and pads are supplied by Brembo (although the pads themselves are actually OEM Textar) so it makes sense that the rotors were probably supplied by Brembo as well.

I haven't had the motivation yet to yank off a rotor and properly measure it but you have to think that there is an equivalent out there with the same specs.

The QP Sport rear setup for pads and caliper is the same as a Mercedes ML

#20 ·
Maintenance is not that bad....

More like one weekend in Vegas each year with the boys..... At best it might cost you 1,000 - 1,500... At worst 4,000..... But you will have had sooo much fun....

Let the dealer take care of the clutch $2,900 job and F1 pump job $2000, if and when they occur as well as any other "Maserati specific" items... Asume you will replace both every 3 - 4 years...

Oil / Fluid / Brake / Plug changes, just buy the best parts and materials, (which are listed on this board) and find an excellent independent. Or do it yourself. I am not handy, my 18,000 mile service with additional brake pads from Formula Dynamics cost me under $800.00 total. The dealer wanted $2,400 with the break pads. I keep all my service records.

I get tires about $1,000 bucks every two years or 12,000 miles.

I get an oil change yearly or every 6,000 miles, buy Amsoil oil, filter from dealer and my guy charges me $75.00.

I only put 6,000 miles a year on her, but this car has been the most exciting and reliable car I have ever owned. Never been out in the rain, to a car wash, and garaged kept.

Just last month someone on a bicycle cracked my brake light and left an inch dent. Had everything corrected and the total car scrubbed, buffed and detailed. Looks beautiful.

I bought her used with about 1,500 miles. I have put on 19,000 miles and had her 36 months.

If I were shopping for another one today, I would look for low miles, excellent condition inside and out and good maintenance records. I would probably lean towards buying from a car nut like myself. Or someone that could give me a detailed history. Take your time and find one you love.

These cars are worth it.

Good Luck. CM

#22 ·
More like one weekend in Vegas each year with the boys..... At best it might cost you 1,000 - 1,500... At worst 4,000..... But you will have had sooo much fun....

Let the dealer take care of the clutch $2,900 job and F1 pump job $2000, if and when they occur as well as any other "Maserati specific" items... Asume you will replace both every 3 - 4 years...

Oil / Fluid / Brake / Plug changes, just buy the best parts and materials, (which are listed on this board) and find an excellent independent. Or do it yourself. I am not handy, my 18,000 mile service with additional brake pads from Formula Dynamics cost me under $800.00 total. The dealer wanted $2,400 with the break pads. I keep all my service records.

I get tires about $1,000 bucks every two years or 12,000 miles.

I get an oil change yearly or every 6,000 miles, buy Amsoil oil, filter from dealer and my guy charges me $75.00.

I only put 6,000 miles a year on her, but this car has been the most exciting and reliable car I have ever owned. Never been out in the rain, to a car wash, and garaged kept.

Just last month someone on a bicycle cracked my brake light and left an inch dent. Had everything corrected and the total car scrubbed, buffed and detailed. Looks beautiful.

I bought her used with about 1,500 miles. I have put on 19,000 miles and had her 36 months.

If I were shopping for another one today, I would look for low miles, excellent condition inside and out and good maintenance records. I would probably lean towards buying from a car nut like myself. Or someone that could give me a detailed history. Take your time and find one you love.

These cars are worth it.

Good Luck. CM

Chris,

Can you please send me a copy of the invoice for the $2,900 clutch job? Did this include a new sensor?

My car is going to have to go in soon and my dealer wants to charge me $3,800...

Thanks!

JP

my email is jpmondalek@gmail.com

#26 ·
Yes - tires and wheels on the GS will cost a fortune. If you live anywhere with potholes, you will crack, bend, destroy your wheels with such low profile tires. I cracked 5 and bent 12 in the span of a year. My suggestion if you live in the North Eastern US is get a set of forged wheels and some oversized tires. Save a fortube in the long run.

#27 ·
Still on Original Clutch and Pump at 26,000 miles

The 2,800 was a price I got from FMNJ when they fixed my TO bearing under warranty. that was a while back. Perhaps a complete clutch job today is $3,800. I would call three different FM shops and compare prices.

I do not have an invoice since I have not replaced my clutch. I am definately going to make 30,000 miles and I have a gut feeling 35,000 miles on the original clutch is certainly possible. THE KEY, having the TO bearing replaced and adjusted at 20,000 miles. The shifts afterwards were night and day.

I get all my parts from Formula Dynamics. I have an excellent independent and I only put 6000 miles or so on each year. My annual costs are extremely affordable. Ie an oil change cost me 100 bucks or so. Plugs filtes etc, I buy and bring to my guy. Same with brake pads etc.

Tires are like 1,000 every 10 - 12 miles... I could not imagine 10,000 a year for bills... even with a new clutch and pump.. But who knows...

I love this car...

Buy a quality car with no stories from a car nut like one of us, you may pay up a little buts its certainly worth it..

Good luck...

CM

#28 ·
Chris,

Welcome. I bought an 04, 1 owner CC Coupe 8 mos ago from a MNA dealer where it was bought originally and always serviced. They provided me with every service record ever performed. It had 30K miles on it and needed a clutch which they went ahead and replaced. Other then that, and this is my DD so I log about 1M (give or take) mis a month, I had a $550.00 lock module go bad and that's been it.

My 911 was MUCH more expensive to maintain and the brand only gave me 1/10 the satisfaction, (and I'm being conservative), that my Masi does.

Just do your homework, (keep a little hedge fund like you should for any exotic...or worthy g'f ), and you'll be ok.

Good luck.

S-

#31 ·
The rumours are true

I have had my '04 Spyder for two years - it has 18K on the ODO and I put on 7K of those.

So far, I have spent at least $15K (I honestly don't even keep track any more). Furthermore the car has spent almost 7 months of total time in the shop. Biggest expenses were $6K for a clutch replacement and $4K trying to track down an 02 sensor problem that is causing the car to misfire and run like crap (this will probably require a new ECU at another $3K).

I do like the car but frankly my experience has been so poor that it has become a running joke. IMO these cars are finicky and fragile (just like those high maintenance GFs.

#32 ·
My tally for four years of ownership, about 25K miles, on a 2003 Coupe CC (I was the second owner):

- Three pairs of tires, about $2100 total
- Oil changes and minor services, about $800
- Major fluid services, about $1300
- Clutch, F1 pump, bell housing, about $8000
- AC blower motor, about $2000
- Battery, about $150

A few items replaced under warranty:

- NIT (nav/stereo/HVAC control unit)
- Fuel rail
- Fuel tank gasket

Grand total for out-of-pocket (excluding gas/insurance) is about $13,700 for four years, so just under that $4K/year number, which is probably a good estimate for planning purposes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.