Costs of Owning a Maserati: the Answers to the Perpetual Question - Maserati Forum

Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Modern Maserati Quattroporte ::

Costs of Owning a Maserati: the Answers to the Perpetual Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 01:34 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 62
Default Costs of Owning a Maserati: the Answers to the Perpetual Question

Since the question of Maserati upkeep cost is asked quite often in this forum, and since recent "requests" for this information have been grumbled about (i.e. use the search function), a request was made to start a thread detailing upkeep costs. Feel free to post as much or as little information as you are comfortable with revealing, but probably the basics should be year/model of car, bought new/used, current mileage, costs that you've paid thus far, and also whether it's serviced at dealer or independent. Since we're going for a basic "list" type of thread, probably better to avoid branching off-topic on particular subjects (duoselect vs automatica, e.g.).

I'll begin:
2007 Quattroporte Sport GT, Automatica
Purchased early last year (2010) for about $65K
Mileage about 20K at that time, now 30K as of May 2011

Services thus far, all at the dealer, since it's under warranty (CPO):
1. Battery problem along with 2 burned-out tail-light bulbs - battery diagnosis and changing of bulbs was $200 (most of that for the battery diagnosis)
2. 25000 mile service - $1800
3. Needed a spare key - $500 for new key and programming
4. Stone guard installation along bottom edge of car - $700
5. Anti-squeaking tape installed along sunroof to prevent annoying squeak when cornering or over bumps - $65
6. Full set of snow tires for car, installed and TPMS installed (I live in a location where it seemed necessary for driving the car as my daily driver year-round) - $2000

Warranty repair (no cost) for CD changer replacement and correcting the trunk-lid catching problem that many of us have (it still has the same issue even after the repair), but I deal with it.

So my cost for 10,000 of driving is about $2000, along with another $2K for snow tires, $500 for a spare key and $700 for chip protection. As I see it, these latter items are good for a fair amount of time, so their value will be spread out over at least a few years.

Anyone else want to chime in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:54 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 10

Hey Jekyll, how are you. I like the fact that you are starting this kind of thread. It will be very helpful for those new buyers whether they can or can't afford it, the answers will be given on this thread.

So I will introduce myself. Iam Vinny. Iam a brand new maserati Owner. I own a certified Pre-owned 2009 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT S with 3200 miles on it up to date. I bought her with only 3160 miles. I bought her at a certified Ferrari/Maserati
Dealer in Seattle. I paid 118,000 dollars including sales tax, gass guzzuler and fees. I only had her for 3 1/2 months to 4 months so i havent had to bring her to get serviced but once after i bought her. I was told by the Seattle ferrari/maserati dealer that I'm looking at about 6-7 thousand a year probably more in maintanance fees and service. I think it's more because for every 4-7 thousand miles, I need to have it service and warranty does not cover. Service is about $2500-3000 for full service( tune up, oil change..ex..) my warranty is still active with 6 original years or 50k miles used. So far I spent in 3 1/2 to 4 months about 3700 dollars and that was for a full service, wheel alignment, ex.... and that was at a dealer service place in New Jersey (Ferrari Maserati of Ft laudedale, Long Island, NY)
Old 05-12-2011, 04:32 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 271

I have a 2006 Sport GT I purchased in November 2010 with 16K miles on it for 45K and 4K in registration and California taxes and licensing fees. I wanted only DuoSelect and love it. I have no warranty but I have a mechanic that's worked on all my cars and is the best and inexpensive so I feel good about this purchase.

1. Alignment and new tires cost $1,650 and also replaced 2 front tires after popping on LA potholes, $500.
2. 18K service and new brakes, pads and rotors turned. $1,350
3. New T-bar reverse shifter installed $400.
4. New thermostat and new rear O2 sensor installed $460.
5. Complete detail to remove swirl marks $500.
6. Creaking dashboard fixed for free by Beverly Hills Maserati.
7. Owners Manual and Nav CD's that were missing were replaced by Maserati USA after they contacted me from this Forum and offered to replace items for free.

So total so far is $4860 after 6 months of ownership. It may also be noted that I travel from LA to OC to Palm Springs weekly and average 15 MPG and have put 14K miles on the car so I've spent $4,200 on fuel @ $4.50 per gallon premium 91 octane. So, fuel and tires are my main costs thus far that really can't be avoided.

Next items will be clutch replacement with Drive By Wire module, performance chip, and Larini exhaust.

2006 Quattroporte Sport GT
Old 05-12-2011, 09:37 AM
InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,905

Vinnie - no need to service every 4-7k miles. Oil change once or twice a year, fluids every other year.

2012 FIAT 500 Prima Edizione #474 Dark Gray/Black (needed it to meet personal CAFE standards)
2004 Cadillac XLR Silver/Black (going strong)
1991 Alfa-Romeo 164L Silver/Nero (the other Pininfarina QuattroPorte)
2006 GranSport Grigio Alfieri/Nero (fled to the Pacific Northwest)
2005 Quattorporte Blu Nettuno/Cuoio (Gone to parts unknown)
2002 Coupe CC Quarzo Mettalic/Cuoio (now the property of our own PhillyMaser16)
Old 05-12-2011, 11:49 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 228

People are including tires, brakes, etc in their calculation of annual maintenance costs, items that typically last for well over a year (usually several years, depending on mileage).
Old 05-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvav View Post
People are including tires, brakes, etc in their calculation of annual maintenance costs, items that typically last for well over a year (usually several years, depending on mileage).
Yes they MAY last several years however they should be accounted for. I know one brand new set of Goodyear F1 run-flats only lasted me about 2k miles when I first purchased my QP and they are over $600ea to replace. These cars come up with problems without notice so its best to be prepared. The cost of driving the car should include all wear and tear items (Brakes, Tires, Rotors, Oil) as well as the cost of fuel. I bet most of the "new" forum members interested in purchasing a Maserati do not think about the fuel costs or cost of ownership per mile. I just filled my QP up last night 93 octane @ 4.13/g x 17.55 gallons = $72.48. In addition to normal wear and tear some cars may come up with large service issues like F1 Pump, Pump Relays, Clutch, Battery, Plugs, Air Filters, Alignments, Corner Balancing, and Fluid replacements. Those are big ticket items and if not planned for will definitely eat a hole into your budget. I bought my QP with 9k on the dial and now have well over 27k. I have done a great amount of maintenance over the years Ill post up an itemized service history when Im done, it will be very in depth in all the products Ive serviced and replaced with an out of warranty QP.

Refined Elegance
2005 Quattroporte DuoSelect/F-1 Bronzo Montecarlo/Black SOLD
Old 05-12-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Haha. You mean me? Well, my new PZeros in the rear lasted 10K miles. So that falls within a year of driving for me. I used to burn them off pretty quick in my Porsches as well, but ironically the QP burns 'em quicker. I did have to replace the brakes 5K miles after the purchase and it is relevant if you buy a used car unless everything on the car has been recently replaced.

We all will have different costs and that is the value of this thread for a new owner to see what may go wrong and how much it costs.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:45 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaCinStylez View Post
I have done a great amount of maintenance over the years Ill post up an itemized service history when I’m done, it will be very in depth in all the products I’ve serviced and replaced with an out of warranty QP.
Looking forward to your post

+1 on the fact that wear & tear should be included, I am about to replace the Pirreli's that were on my QP that dealer said were "new" at first glance they seemed it, even when I glanced at the inside rear treads....until I got the car inspected @ my shop & they said rear was 3/32 from wear bars & fronts were worn unevenly...lol Used to tearing up rears from my Viper, lowered NSX's, M3, SL55 AMG, Porsches, and blah blah so on and so forth. It does get kind of annoying but I love to drive & by drive I mean they way these cars should be driven

Last edited by 4dr-360; 05-12-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:14 AM

Yes, but these items are the same for comparable cars (ie. M5, E class AMG, etc). Tires, brakes, etc will last about the same for all of these cars. The incremental cost for one model over another is where one will see a significant discrepancy. If I buy a Honda Civic with worn brakes, tires, shocks, I can list my maintenance costs on it for the first year as several thousand dollars.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Yes, but these items are the same for comparable cars (ie. M5, E class AMG, etc). Tires, brakes, etc will last about the same for all of these cars. The incremental cost for one model over another is where one will see a significant discrepancy. If I buy a Honda Civic with worn brakes, tires, shocks, I can list my maintenance costs on it for the first year as several thousand dollars.
Why argue and why not just allow us to post information to prospective buyers? If they think that we're giving them too much information, then we have done our job.

And the post says nowhere anything about "yearly costs," you keep talking about; the post says "what you've spent thus far." We've posted what we've spent on what since we've owned the cars. If you don't find it helpful, ignore the post.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:10 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 3,060

If the thread is about perpetual costs, EVERYTHING should go in. They're costs of ownership.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:50 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 62

As the initiator of the thread, I'll give a +1 for ALL costs. While you're right, Alvav, that costs of tires for the QP probably aren't that different from other EQUIVALENT cars, remember that many of the posts that come through are along the lines of "wait, I can buy a QP for $35K with 50K miles instead of buying a new Honda? - sign me up!" Those potential buyers aren't stupid, they just don't have the information, and don't realize that it IS a $100K+ car that they'll need to service. Most items in the world don't work that way. I have a nice Mac Pro that was quite expensive in 2006 when I bought it. It's now worth about a 1/4 of its original value. Replacing a hard drive or fan or other part isn't that much more expensive than an equivalent part for a new lesser-model computer - in fact, it could potentially be cheaper. Ditto for buying a used non-exotic car - the costs are generally about the same from newer to older. But I'll tell you that having owned a used BMW before this car (and a nice one, a 7-series), I got used to about $1000-2000/year in service, and new tires cost me under $1000. It wasn't until poring through the threads here before I bought that I realized that my annual cost might be more like $3000-4000 and that tires might be double my BMW set.
Remember too that the figures go the other way as well. Many people, when they find out that I drive this car, figure that the maintenance must be through the roof (like Ferraris). That's what I thought until a neighbor suggested I look at a Maserati instead of a new German car. My first response was "I can't afford the car and can't afford the service." Viewing these types of numbers made me realize that even though it was more expensive than my German vehicle, it was definitely within my reach, and I'm all the happier for having taken the plunge.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:18 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloce49 View Post
Vinnie - no need to service every 4-7k miles. Oil change once or twice a year, fluids every other year.
Thanks Veloce. i will take your advice into good use.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,100

My baby is a 2008 quattroporte sport gts, i bought her brand new in the fall of 2007.
She has 21k miles. spent a decent amount of money on my car, mostly mods.

But the annual service is about $1800, have done 4 already, fuel is relative, tires i go through 2 sets a year, which used to be $2k for pirellis a set, or $850 a set for vreds. Brake pads ive only had to replace the fronts once so far at $500 (jeff from fd made me a custom carbon kevlar set, the maniacs at the dealer wanted $1500 for 2 freakin pads!)

Clear bra on the front, side skirts, rear door, rear bumper (i drive into nyc every day) $3000. Tints $600, FD DBW automatica, FD ECM, Larini Sport Cats, Larini Mufflers + installation (dont know off top of my head), second set of chrome HRE rims $4500. Sent to the detail shop/spa a few times $500- Replaced battery once because i was out of town for over a month and forgot to plug in the batter charger. Thats about it. Have had no problems mechanically or having things break down, car has been utterly reliable. Really the only issue was i didnt know about the quirks of these cars and brought it to the dealer a few times when i was green and they ripped me off. Most people dont know a thing about these cars. Now i knw to ask the guys here or my buddies at the shop or jeff from FD, so i feel really confident about owning and maintaining my car. Its not bad if you know how not to get ripped off, and know where to splurge and where to save based on your own preferences.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:56 AM

I just find that we're scaring people away from enjoying Maserati ownership. Sorry to offend some of you.
Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Modern Maserati Quattroporte Costs of Owning a Maserati: the Answers to the Perpetual Question

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.