Guaging interest in a supercharger or turbo upgrade? - Maserati Forum

Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Modern Maserati Quattroporte ::

Guaging interest in a supercharger or turbo upgrade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 06:40 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 71
Default Guaging interest in a supercharger or turbo upgrade?

I'm curious to see what the level of SERIOUS interest would be in a supercharger or turbo kit priced at around $15K that bumped power up in a QP to the 650HP (or whatever BHP is after drivetrain loss to get around 530RWHP) mark would be?

How many people here would:
#1. Have the money to spend on such a kit
#2. Would want to have such an upgrade

I, for one, would be wiring money tomorrow morning if someone had a kit for the QP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 90

they do have a kit and Novitec offers one but it isn't cheap. The kit will run you about $24000 and you have to get the car sent out to them. This kit will be
bringing the power up to a whopping 590 hp at 7,300 RPM and 422 lb-ft of torque. With the power increase comes blistering performance. Acceleration to 62 mph from rest takes just 4.6 seconds, while 124 mph is reached in only 14.9 seconds. Top speed for the fiery sedan is 183 mph. I am sure this is at stock psi and you could turn up the boost for more power, but remember you need to also upgrade everything else like tranny, diff, clutch basically you would have to take everything apart and heat treat it and that isn't cheap but if you do buy this kit YOU WILL BE KING!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:56 AM

That isn't for 4.2 engines afaik.
Also Novitec is pretty highly priced.
A good tuner is what we need - the hardware is easyish
Old 09-08-2010, 01:15 PM
InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 447

I have been patiently waiting for R & D on this through FD. Speaking with Jeff the other day I was informed it is certainly a project on their list and one that will eventually come to fruition but has been delayed by other pressing projects. That said there is the novitec upgrade and the modenatec upgrade, both pricey and with modena you have to send your car to germany. There is a guy here in Dallas that can certainly build the supercharger, DallasPerformance.com, but it is the tuning that would have to be done that is the tricky part and I feel more comfortable with FD and Jeff who know these cars inside and out to do both the build and tuning. So alas I wait.

D

2004 Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa
Larini Hi-Flow Headers
FD DBW
FD ECM
Larini Sport De-Cats
Larini X-Pipe
Larini Valved Mufflers
FD Sport Springs
FD Sway Bars
FD Air Filter
FD Big Brake Kit

2006 Maserati Quattroporte (Sold)
Larini X-Pipe
Old 09-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 3,223

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Bling View Post
I have been patiently waiting for R & D on this through FD. Speaking with Jeff the other day I was informed it is certainly a project on their list and one that will eventually come to fruition...
This is good news.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:46 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 45

It would be nice to get 100+Bhp out of the motor with a blower or turbos, but I think it would change the characteristics of the car too much. I mean the highly tuned character, the sound of the intake and exhaust and the reliability of the factory tuned motor will be compromised. Now, if someone puts a v12 from our uncle's factory from across town, that sounds pretty appetizing.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:16 PM

For those of us who already have modified exhausts, nothing would really change.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 2,548

If some are already achieving 0-62mph of around 4.55 to 4.95 secs with FD DBW/ECM mods (as per the recent DBW threads) then surely we are already at Novitec levels of performance enhancement?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 990

Let's put it this way. I would love to see the Quattroporte with 0-60 times between 4.0 and 4.5 seconds. That would put it in an elite class for luxury sedans. A power boost of 100 bhp would be nice, but I think the issue here is the weight of the vehicle (4,300 lbs). I would like Maserati to focus a lot more attention on putting the Quattroporte on a diet and give it a power boost at the same time. The rumor mill is saying that the new Quattroporte is likely to get larger and may be going more upscale. I wouldn't object to that direction, however, as was stated previously, I don't want to loose the car's charm and character - its ability to staddle the line between luxury sedan and sports car.

'13 Gran Turismo Sport (Grigio Granito/Nuovo Sabbia)
'07 Quattroporte Sport GT (Nero/Beige)
'67 Austin Healey 3000 MK III (Maroon/Black)
'61 Jaguar Mark II 3.8 (Black/Red)
'10 MINI Cooper S Clubman (dark silver/black)
Old 09-09-2010, 12:50 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 351

As much as this car really should have more power, I feel that part of its character is the fact that it is naturally aspirated. I would like to see some sort of tuning which would not need forced induction, perhaps take some things over from the F430 motor from which this car's block is based. Maybe more aggressive timing, bore and stroke, compression, etc. But at the very least, someone could solve the horrible design of the intake tract as a start.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:04 AM

OK, well lets stay on track:

Who else would pay for the upgrade kit and has the money to actually pay for it:
I'm sure if we get a group of even just 5 people, it will be worth it at that point for a shop to invest the time and money into the tuning.

- Fantasm
- ???
Old 09-10-2010, 01:48 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,100

I wouldn't spend more than $10K on it after all the money I already spent on my car tuning everything else. If you want a car with crazy HP thats also a sedan, the CLS63 amg is a beast. On the Quattroporte, Once you do the engine upgrades, you have to do the brakes, etc. The supercharger would give it the off the line torque, which is what we would be looking for. It would be nice to have something bolt on, that is not complicated for our engines for just enough kick to matter. And again fellas, if we want horsepower, there are a lot of cars out there with more horsepower for the buck than a maserati. Look at German cars. The maserati is about style signore, style..
Old 09-10-2010, 03:08 AM

Unless you are talking about a Honda, I don't know any S/C or Turbo kits that cost just $10K for any higher end car.
$15K-$20K is realistic.

CLS63 is not fast, and you can't make it all that much faster.
This all changes of course with the new V8TT engine that's being released soon in the S63.
But I want a really fast Quattroporte. I've already had really fast Benz's and other sports cars.

Gone:
2009 GTR - 535AWHP - 10.84s @ 131mph 1/4 mile
2009 Mercedes SL63 AMG
2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS
2008 BMW 335i
2005 Mercedes E55
2008 Honda S2000
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2007 Jeep SRT8
2004 Mercedes SL55
2004 BMW M3
2006 F150 KingRanch
1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1990 Nissan 300ZX
Old 09-11-2010, 04:04 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasm View Post
Unless you are talking about a Honda, I don't know any S/C or Turbo kits that cost just $10K for any higher end car.
$15K-$20K is realistic.

CLS63 is not fast, and you can't make it all that much faster.
This all changes of course with the new V8TT engine that's being released soon in the S63.
But I want a really fast Quattroporte. I've already had really fast Benz's and other sports cars.

Gone:
2009 GTR - 535AWHP - 10.84s @ 131mph 1/4 mile
2009 Mercedes SL63 AMG
2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS
2008 BMW 335i
2005 Mercedes E55
2008 Honda S2000
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2007 Jeep SRT8
2004 Mercedes SL55
2004 BMW M3
2006 F150 KingRanch
1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1990 Nissan 300ZX
Fantasm- I didn't say that $15-$20K isn't a realistic price, I just said after all the money I already spent on my QP with the FD DBW, ECM, Larini Boxes, etc. I probably wouldn't spend that much money on my QP, but thats just me. Ask me if I would spend it on my Gransport, and HELLS YES I WOULD!

As for the CLS63, at a 0-60 time of 4.1 seconds, I think its pretty damned fast for a sedan, and the brakes are amazing on the car. I'm not touting benzes here its the wrong forum, but for you to say that the CLS63 isn't fast compared to the QP, you are smoking some shiiizzle my friend. Pass that shit!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:30 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 4

I know this thread is old but the CLS55 is faster than the CLS63 in most tests and it definitely feels quicker with the way the power is distributed. Just my two cents.
Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Modern Maserati Quattroporte Guaging interest in a supercharger or turbo upgrade?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.