I have a feeling my parking sensors are too sensitive... - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-11-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Question I have a feeling my parking sensors are too sensitive...

2 cases:
Case 1. I parked my car, front close to the cement border and there was a tall stone half meter after the border. There's no sane way you can hit that stone unless you go over that cement border. Yet my sensors were beeping. Not like "beep-beep-beep" often, but like "beeeeeep-pause-beeeeeep".
Case 2. I parked my car in covered spot. A bit closer to the pillars on the right (the pillars which hold the roof of the parking and separate individual parking spots. Again, there's no sane way you can hit those pillars. Yet my sensors were beeping.
That's why I have a feeling those sensors are way too sensitive. Is there anything I should be concerned then? If so, what should my mechanic check?

Thank you very much in advance.

Maserati Quattroporte DuoSelect
FD DBW and ECM installed (and set to "aggressive mode" )
FD High Performance Air Filter
FD Stainless Steel Brake Lines
FD Performance Anti Sway Bar Kit
LED Tail lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-12-2017, 07:12 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 2,163
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
It's probably a sensor failing. They typically report that you are close to an object when you are not. You can test them manually by turning on the sensors (make sure that there's nothing that might trigger them) and then either touch or listen to them. You can hear them clicking.

Best way, though is to connect to a diagnostic machine. The fronts are quite easy to replace, but I suspect the actual units are a bit over priced. To the best of my knowledge no other brand replacement has been found as yet.

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
4.2 GT Automatic, 147 TS, Sprint 1.7
post #3 of 10 Old 05-19-2017, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmanv2 View Post
It's probably a sensor failing. They typically report that you are close to an object when you are not. You can test them manually by turning on the sensors (make sure that there's nothing that might trigger them) and then either touch or listen to them. You can hear them clicking.

Best way, though is to connect to a diagnostic machine. The fronts are quite easy to replace, but I suspect the actual units are a bit over priced. To the best of my knowledge no other brand replacement has been found as yet.

C
Thank you very much, Catmanv2. I measured the distance when they start beeping and it is according to the manual. It is me who is not so cautious and way too careless, but sensors are good. I'll watch them for any possible failures in the future though (if dashboard error appears).
My last question on sensors is about front parking sensors. The manual says the rear parking sensors turn on automatically when I start the car - and it is so, I can confirm. The front ones CAN be turned on when I press that P button (exact quote from manual). Now does it mean that to activate front parking sensors I must always press P button? OK, but how sometimes when I start my car, the P button LED turns on and the front parking sensors activated automatically without me pressing that P button? So, what is the expected behavior tehn? Should front parking sensors always be turned on manually by pressing the button? If not, how to make front parking sensors turn on automatically permanently?
Thank you very much

LED Tail lights

post #4 of 10 Old 05-19-2017, 09:09 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 263
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
The front parking sensors automatically activate as soon as you use Reverse. If they are not activated you can turn them on yourself, e.g. if you are trying to park but have not needed Reverse to perform the maneuver.

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA
post #5 of 10 Old 05-19-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFulop View Post
The front parking sensors automatically activate as soon as you use Reverse. If they are not activated you can turn them on yourself, e.g. if you are trying to park but have not needed Reverse to perform the maneuver.
Thank you very much, Sean. Let me try that. So I start the car, take it out from emergency brake, set to Reverse and start going and then parking sensor LED should turn on, correct?

LED Tail lights
post #6 of 10 Old 05-19-2017, 06:03 PM

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by akluch View Post
Thank you very much, Sean. Let me try that. So I start the car, take it out from emergency brake, set to Reverse and start going and then parking sensor LED should turn on, correct?
I believe that's correct, yes. As usual the owner's manual leaves out a few details. I, too, was confused at first because I couldn't tell whether pushing the button was turning them off or on. You can understand it much better when you realize they are turning on automatically in Reverse.

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA
post #7 of 10 Old 05-19-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I believe that's correct, yes. As usual the owner's manual leaves out a few details. I, too, was confused at first because I couldn't tell whether pushing the button was turning them off or on. You can understand it much better when you realize they are turning on automatically in Reverse.
Sean, sorry for bugging again. Just to clarify: the front parking sensor are on when that LED near P button is lighted in orange, correct?

LED Tail lights
post #8 of 10 Old 05-20-2017, 01:55 AM

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by akluch View Post
Sean, sorry for bugging again. Just to clarify: the front parking sensor are on when that LED near P button is lighted in orange, correct?
I believe so, yes. Watch the button when you shift into Reverse, you should see the light go on.

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA
post #9 of 10 Old 05-20-2017, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I believe so, yes. Watch the button when you shift into Reverse, you should see the light go on.
Sean, thank you so much again! The "mystery" is solved, exactly as you said. When you start ignition - front parking sensors are "off" (or "inactive" I'd say). Now, when you do Reverse - you'll see the LED near P button turns orange and front parking sensors are active. If you want to maneuver your car without involving Reverse - you can turn front parking sensors "on" with the P button.
Now, why such simple and accurate description isn't in the manual? Why it is explained there in quite convoluted way...

LED Tail lights
post #10 of 10 Old 05-20-2017, 05:08 AM

InnerCircle

The owner's manual is missing many crucial bits of information. I have the 5-disc CD changer; it has instructions on how to load disks into the player and play them, but forgets to mention how to get them out! It is not the most obvious thing to do, either.

2005 Quattroporte
Fresno, CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode