Battery dying constantly - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-10-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Battery dying constantly

Recently purchased a 2010 QP with 17K miles and the car is perfect, except for the fact that there is a phantom parasitic load that drains the battery after 24-48 hours. Been to the dealer twice, and the computer says alternator is fine, no drain on the system detected beyond factory spec. Have changed the battery with a new one three times, and it still happens. Have checked the usual suspects: parked locked versus unlocked, light in the trunk, etc., still no remedy Have seen other threads where this has occured - any ideas? Security system? I love the car but this is maddening and the dealer just can't identify anything wrong. All suggestions appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-10-2017, 01:30 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 396
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
That's a pretty hefty drain to do that. You need to get a multi meter and start checking individual circuits starting with the main power cable to the battery. The draw should be a few milliamps, 70-100 or so? Just taking an educated guess there, no clue what factory spec is. Then it's checking one circuit at a time until you find the one out of line. Good luck!

Joel

Moderator for QP M139 Facebook page

1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, 398 AWHP, 1 of 183, Gobs of power and performance, Space for 2

2016 Honda Pilot, Tons of space, seating for 8

2002 Yamaha R1, Lots of power and performance, no space

2007 Maserati Quattroporte Automatica. 1 of 141 in the USA in Bordeaux. Lots of style, space AND power!
post #3 of 10 Old 01-10-2017, 09:16 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 346
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Well I don`t think it is gonna be the battery after replacing 3 of them and I`m not sure your gonna find the answer here...Battery drains can be difficult to locate on a modern car as the computers are on a network...Just like a laptop times out and goes to sleep the cars computers do the same thing after about 45-60 minutes...Sometimes you can have a computer that wakes back up and awakens the whole network causing a drain...I`m surprised they have not be able to find it...The larger the drain the easier it is to find and your would be pretty large if it drains the battery in 24-48 hours.....The meter they are using should have a record function to verify it is a drain by the way.. You can also have drains caused by hidden Lojack devices and GPS locators..I would take it back to the dealer and let them keep it for several days and test it some more as it may be randomly draining or find another place to look at it...I agree it`s kinda unacceptable....good luck...Jason

ASE Master Tech. 28 years experience
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-13-2017, 12:11 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 53
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I had a similar issue on an Escalade. Took over a year to find it. The rear HVAC module was operating on a similar frequency as a neighbors garage door opener. It would shut down after 5-10 minutes, but if they activated their remote for their garage door, it would 'wake up' the module and it would stay on for another 5-10 minutes. Depending on how often they used their remote vs. how often the Cadi was started, I could get a dead battery in 2-3 days. Replacing the module fixed the problem, but it was an absolute b*tch to find... since no dealer or shop had the remote trigger I had at home, they couldn't find it.

Sorry for the uplifting post, but with all the modules these cars have in them, be aware it may be quite a while to locate the culprit. I think I'd get a battery tender and keep it on that full time.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-13-2017, 12:33 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 305
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
It's mind boggling to me that any car manufacturer would use the same waveform for their control units as those used by garage door openers. Somebody wasn't thinking straight in Detroit. Thanks for the post. Truly amazing.
KTBD

Keep the Rev's Up...
post #6 of 10 Old 01-13-2017, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65ragtop View Post
I had a similar issue on an Escalade. Took over a year to find it. The rear HVAC module was operating on a similar frequency as a neighbors garage door opener. It would shut down after 5-10 minutes, but if they activated their remote for their garage door, it would 'wake up' the module and it would stay on for another 5-10 minutes. Depending on how often they used their remote vs. how often the Cadi was started, I could get a dead battery in 2-3 days. Replacing the module fixed the problem, but it was an absolute b*tch to find... since no dealer or shop had the remote trigger I had at home, they couldn't find it.

Sorry for the uplifting post, but with all the modules these cars have in them, be aware it may be quite a while to locate the culprit. I think I'd get a battery tender and keep it on that full time.
I can't confirm that story and I'm not saying you are making it up but that's the most unbelievable excuse I've ever heard. Unless the car has a wireless remote for the climate control, there is no way a wireless anything could affect a wired system within another vehicle. Besides that, how often could the neighbors possibly have used the garage opener to make that an issue?

Again, I'm not calling you a liar but I think they were pulling your leg on that one a bit once they discovered the faulty module. I'm an electrician by trade so I know a few things about how systems work and this one doesn't add up.

Joel

1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, 398 AWHP, 1 of 183, Gobs of power and performance, Space for 2

2007 Maserati Quattroporte Automatica. 1 of 141 in the USA in Bordeaux. Lots of style, space AND power!
post #7 of 10 Old 01-13-2017, 09:05 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 346
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
While that does sound odd about the GM vehicle...I have seen a few cars do exactly what he described.. Range Rovers around 95 and up had an issue with the RF receiver and would pick up stray signals and wake the system up and drain the battery.. However, I don`t think that is gonna be the case here...Jason

ASE Master Tech. 28 years experience
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-14-2017, 08:14 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 53
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Believe it or not. Doesn't matter to me. I got no reason to make shit up or 'lie' about something. I'm the one who finally found the problem, so it wasn't a dealer 'pulling my leg'.

And Jason, I wasn't even slightly suggesting this was his problem, I was just using an experience I had to demonstrate how difficult some of these problems can be to narrow down with the complexities of modern automobiles and the way that dissimilar items are integrated.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-14-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65ragtop View Post
Believe it or not. Doesn't matter to me. I got no reason to make shit up or 'lie' about something. I'm the one who finally found the problem, so it wasn't a dealer 'pulling my leg'.

And Jason, I wasn't even slightly suggesting this was his problem, I was just using an experience I had to demonstrate how difficult some of these problems can be to narrow down with the complexities of modern automobiles and the way that dissimilar items are integrated.
I didn't say you lied, that was exactly what I was trying to avoid but it's difficult to accurately convey a thought with the proper tone via written word. Apologies if you felt I was being accusatory, that was not the intention I assure you.

In other news, any updates from the OP?

Joel

post #10 of 10 Old 01-16-2017, 06:16 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 3
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Check with multimeter on battery if the quiescent current is less than 0.05A.

enjoy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode