Maserati Forum banner

Finally, Radio/Nav replacement for 2005-2008

28K views 55 replies 15 participants last post by  Patrickhph 
#1 ·
Finally have a car to do the radio/nav replacement. I'll be installing the new Kenwood DNN990HD. This will be quite labor intensive, I'm hoping to have it wrapped up in a couple of weeks. I'll be updating with pictures as I go along, and maybe even throw in a few how-to's on disassembling the interior, etc. Stay tuned...

#2 ·
Monty - Remember to take the measurements of the grill for the 2005 - 2008 concave replacement. I went all black with my current one (Sport GT), including the trident. However, I left the red stripes on the Trident. Not a bad look at all. Goes. However, I think I'll prefer the concave option...

#9 ·
Thank you sir. I was wondering if you found another way. Once all is complete, can you email me a total as I will more then likely just ship her to you to have the work done? Funny how I always have my cars shipped down there for work. Had to do the same thing with Modularpowerhouse in Marietta.

#12 ·
Monty the new bezel looks top quality in terms of finish.

Will the factory settings buttons be put back for quick/easy change of car settings? Will the factory menu output be a feed into the new Kenwood screen?

I assume the new bezel will also have to be matched to the existing finish of the interior e.g. carbon fibre, wood, piano?

#13 ·
Due to the design of the circuit board, the radio buttons will be relocated with the radio. I have gone over this with several people including this particular customer. The consensus is that the settings in the radio are not changed frequently enough to warrant the r and d of trying to get the buttons and radio display up front. He was most concerned with trip info which is on the new Kenwood unit. The lock, shade, sport, etc. buttons will remain in the dash bezel. As for the finish, it will match whatever original finish the car has. The only exception will be the small wood inlay on each side that some cars have. I believe the dash bezel is the only place that is used so it shouldn't be an issue. This particular car has black trim.

#16 ·
This customer wasn't concerned with the steering wheel controls, but I will be looking in to making those work. There will be some sacrifices in changing out the factory unit. Most I feel are very minor for what it gained in the end.

#20 ·
I think it looks fine as is, but if the buttons and the screen were switched around, it might be better. There is probably space constraints that led Monty to this, though.

#21 ·
The stubby cell phone antenna had to go. It was replaced with something a little more modern. This also makes a good home for the satellite radio antenna. As far as the dash bezel, I tried several different variations. The one pictured seemed to work best cosmetically. One of the challenges with this dash bezel, is taking up space. Alpine has a head unit with with a much larger screen, but the Kenwood was chosen for it's wi-fi capabilities.

Attachments

#23 ·
I just unscrewed the mast. I mounted the sat. antenna right behind it. The sharkfin is actually a shell which covers everything. You can get access through the rear overhead light, so you don't have to remove the headliner.

#24 ·
Some minor filling and sanding and it will be ready for paint. I added a couple of cosmetic pieces to take up some space. I took some inspiration from the paddle shifters. Everything else is done. Once the radio bezel is complete, I will get some good pictures. My Droid camera has decided not to focus or flash anymore.

Attachments

#26 ·
Looking good.

Just a thought, given the "vast expanse" of the dash fascia, would it be possible to fit something like an iPad mini there instead? Just because it's a bigger screen, I am thinking.

#27 ·
The good thing about this setup is it allows me to use most any kind of source unit including an iPad Mini. I went with the Kenwood because it has wifi, allows everything from the phone to be displayed on the screen including Internet, backup camera, satellite radio, and DVD. it also uses Garmin based navigation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.