Transmission Problem - Maserati Forum

Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Modern Maserati ::

Transmission Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 03:28 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 11
Default Transmission Problem

I have a 2004 Coupe. I stopped at a traffic light yesterday in NYC and the car would not move (it had no sign of trouble). The engine was running. F1 could shift "1" or "R" but it would not engaged. Does anyone know what the problem is? Is the clutch worn down too far? The check engine and transmission lights were "ON" (The transmission light was ON and OFF for about 15 minutes before it turned solid and the check engine light lit up). The car was towed back to FM dealer in Edison, NJ. Does anyone know any good Maserati mechanic in NJ for out of warranty work?

Last edited by js998; 04-29-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:32 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 1,736

Get an OBDII reader and that should give you a first indication of whats wrong. Its obvious from your description that the transmission has a problem, hopefully someone with more technical knowledge can give a better answer than me.

--

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:39 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 19

Thats funny that happened to me Last night for a few seconds it happens every now and then but never to the point that your saying usually its bc the car isnt fully stopped but im pretty sure that wasnt your issue.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 225
Default Best guy in the area:

Steve at New Vernon Coach and Motor Works

960 Mount Kemble Ave
Morristown, NJ 07960

(973) 425-0700‎

Sorry about your problems!

2003 Coupe CC, Nero Pastello/Avorio; Larini exhaust, FD DBW, springs, sport air filter, iPod adaptor. SOLD
2008 Jaguar XKR, Midnight Blue/Ivory
2009 BMW X3, Sage Green/Beige
2002 BMW 330Ci Convertible, Blue/Tan SOLD
1967 Volkswagen Beetle, Red/Black
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi; Blue, Tan
Old 04-29-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js998 View Post
I have a 2004 Coupe. I stopped at a traffic light yesterday in NYC and the car would not move (it had no sign of trouble). The engine was running. F1 could shift "1" or "R" but it would not engaged. Does anyone know what the problem is? Is the clutch worn down too far? The check engine and transmission lights were "ON" (The transmission light was ON and OFF for about 15 minutes before it turned solid and the check engine light lit up). The car was towed back to FM dealer in Edison, NJ. Does anyone know any good Maserati mechanic in NJ for out of warranty work?
The dealer diagnosed the problem was the clutch. $2500 for the labor, $3761.00 for the clutch assemble and $750 for the bell housing if needed. Does anyone know if it is a fair price? Thanks all for the info.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 533

Personally - I would walk away and flat bed to either an independent in NJ or to Kent Wentworth at Universal Autosports on Long Island - Kent was at FM LI and is a certified master Maserati mechanic

SOLD: 2002 Coupe CC: FD Springs, DBW, GS Mufflers, Larini H-Pipe, BMC, Vredestein's, Iridium's
1987 Porsche 911 Cabriolet
2001 Audi A6
2009 MB GL 450
2011 Jaguar XJ
2014 Ghibli SQ4 ?
Old 10-23-2009, 04:37 PM

I just want to finalize what happen after the clutch replacement from FM of Edison, NJ. The pump fails again less than a month while stop in front of the traffic light. It tows back to the dealer again. This time they clam the pump fail caused by the hydraulic power unit which is next to the gear box. It is $4500 for the job. The total cost for repair the F1 pump is more than $15,000. The car is riding well for the pass three months and gaining more confidence back to go on longer distances. I don’t like to go back to FM of Edison, NJ. The service manager is so rude and don’t tread their customers right. If I know other mechanic can service the car well locally and I will not go back to them. Thumb down to FM of Edison, NJ.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 477

Get yourself to Universal in Glen Cove, Long Island. You'll have to get it over a couple of bridges, but these guys will treat you right and you will not see ridiculous fees like this. Even their flatbed driver Larry will give you a sense of sanity. Kent will do the work and will talk honestly about problems and issue resolution. Call Anthony who runs service. I know of three of us on the forum (also Ramp and Maseratisportgts) use Universal.

2005 GS
Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by js998 View Post
The total cost for repair the F1 pump is more than $15,000.
Give us a total parts/labor list for this -sounds like actual robbery.

SOLD: 2002 Coupe CC: FD Springs, DBW, GS Mufflers, Larini H-Pipe, BMC, Vredestein's, Iridium's
1987 Porsche 911 Cabriolet
2001 Audi A6
2009 MB GL 450
2011 Jaguar XJ
2014 Ghibli SQ4 ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.