Engine problems? - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 11-19-2008, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Smile Engine problems?

I often read about clutches needed to be addressed, miscelaneous electrical problems that need little work, relays to be adjusted etc but very rare I have the chance to find someone with engine issues here on the forum.
Is the 4.2L Maserati engine that good or maybe because of average low miles on most of them owners don't have any issues yet with it?
Isn't like we need more mechanical failures but it'll be nice to find out more about this amazing engine.

2012 Stupid Thing

Last edited by MCV73; 12-05-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 11-19-2008, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 4,261
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
It is that good mate.

1934 - 1938 - 1982 - 2006

BigFoot's YouTube Channel dedicated to Maserati
post #3 of 40 Old 11-19-2008, 03:08 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 3,309
Funny you mention that because I was just telling someone the same thing recently....I don't recall a single engine-related issue since I've been on this forum (exactly a year the end of this month).

Vincenzo
'06 GranSport Spyder - Rosso Mondiale
FD DBW, FD Springs, FD SS Brake Lines, Larini De-Cats, BMC
'07 Tundra - it's just big
'09 John Deere - Green as it gets... 2009 - 'Best in Grass'

post #4 of 40 Old 11-19-2008, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Post It's what we need.

I am amazed about this fact and that's the reason I came up with this thread.
Let's see what follows.

2012 Stupid Thing
post #5 of 40 Old 11-19-2008, 03:12 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 36
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
broken already

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
It is that good mate.
well i bought my 03 coupe on nov 7th with 48,900 mi and today with 49,300 mi i heard a small bang sound and the motor killed and would not restart
thinkin that is not a good omen for the future
post #6 of 40 Old 11-19-2008, 03:15 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUZETI View Post
I am amazed about this fact and that's the reason I came up with this thread.
Let's see what follows.
i think we were typing at the same time as i was responding to the first post hit post reply and then read yours kinda trippy
post #7 of 40 Old 11-19-2008, 04:56 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 339
had 67,000 on my 2005, here are the problems I saw:

-prone to tapping when oil isn't changed regularily at 3,000 miles. At 3,500 miles you could hear the engine tapping after idling at traffic light

-Water pump leaking. Starts as a small drip and an odor in the AC system, eventually got to the point where it's leaving puddles in the driveway

-Some gas caps (search for previous thread I explained this in detail on) will leak when the system runs automatic check. Easy warranty fix

-AC system needs recharging yearly.

-Primary Catalytic Convertors (US & Canadian cars) are built into headers and lowest point of the car. Prone to tapping the ground and shattering inside. Replacement runs almost $8k for parts/labor, no aftermarket options

-Clutch use really depends on the driver and how it's initially set-up at the dealership and driving activities. I was getting ~25k miles out of mine.

-O2 sensors shot at 50k miles

-constant check engine light warnings that were sometimes nothing at all. Would require trip to dealer anyway.

I think the engine is pretty solid however the service issue is really the dealer network and how long it takes to get a service appointment and the car taken care of. A simple reset of the CEL ends up being 4 days of the car in the shop.

-Ron, aka Mille162

RaceChairs Performance Furniture
--------------------------------
Authentic motorsports inspiried office furniture and lifestyle accessories

Orders: 267-632-5003 sales@racechairs.com
www.RaceChairs.com
--------------------------------
***forum members use code "maslife" at check-out for additional 10% off***
post #8 of 40 Old 11-21-2008, 03:50 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 286
Send a message via AIM to leadfoot_mf
i believe one or two motors were damaged due to the cat issue. other than that the motor seems to be the strongest part of the car.
post #9 of 40 Old 11-21-2008, 01:10 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 628
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Only engine failure I've heard about here in Seattle was self inflicted, caused by an owner who decided to drive his through a rather deep puddle of water after a pretty heavy rain storm. The intake snorkeled the water into the engine and seized it up.

A lot of owners don't realize the air filter and intake is that low on the car.

Mike
1986 Lamborghini Countach 5000 QV (#GLA12002)
2005 Quattroporte #19022 (Sport Pkg. FD F1 Drive-By-Wire, BMC Air Filter)
2016 Mazda CX-5 "Grand Touring"
2010 Jeep Wrangler "Sahara"

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines -- Enzo Ferrari
post #10 of 40 Old 11-21-2008, 02:25 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 94
Send a message via AIM to VT DMC
I have seen 1 motor failure in 5 years with the brand, and that was from water ingestion.

Willie

2002 Suzuki SV650S
1981 DMC Delorean
post #11 of 40 Old 11-21-2008, 04:55 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUZETI View Post
--Is the 4.2L Maserati engine that good or maybe because of average low miles on most of them owners don't have any issues yet with it?---
Engines today are very reliable.

Maserati was smart to use timing chains instead of timing belts in their engines. The engine is very similar to that of Ferrari, but Ferrari uses timing belts which require maintenance every 3 years or 30,000 miles. Few have 30,000 miles on their Ferrari's so it's the time period that comes into play. Thus, engine maintenance on Maserati's is low.

The single most important maintenance feature for any engine is oil changes and regardless of manufacturers saying from 12K miles to as many as 20K miles (Porsche) change the oil and filter every 5K miles max for synthetic oils and 3.5K miles for regular oils. You will never experience an engine problem if you change oil frequently, and if you think the cost is too much to keep your engine healthy get a Honda!

Not much to do to engines anymore so change oil often and just listen for any unusual noises in the interim.
post #12 of 40 Old 11-21-2008, 05:28 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 141
The power plant is rock solid. I have seen one grenade-literally, it threw a connecting rod through the side of the block, but this was a manual transmission, and as far as we or MNA could discern, he probably downshifted instead of upshifted, the errors in the engine ECU (Motronic) were flagged at 8900 RPM!! Other than that they are prone to oil and coolant leaks, usually the front timing cover, oil/water pump and cam covers, I have replaced head gaskets once for an oil leak. I have replaced four or five and rebuilt two for hydrolock from water ingestion. By and large mechanically they are VERY sound.
If the AC system is leaking and needs a recharge annually, it is most likely from the expansion valve o-rings.
The check engine light will only come on if it sees a problem, which might only be stored and not present, however THERE IS A PROBLEM, it is probably being misdiagnosed.Purchase an aftermarket trouble code reader and clear the errors, if they persist, take it in for servicio.
Oxygen sensors should be replaced every 4 years regardless of mileage.
The BEST part in the car was handbuilt by you know who.
post #13 of 40 Old 11-21-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Woodworth View Post
The power plant is rock solid. I have seen one grenade-literally, it threw a connecting rod through the side of the block, but this was a manual transmission, and as far as we or MNA could discern, he probably downshifted instead of upshifted, the errors in the engine ECU (Motronic) were flagged at 8900 RPM!! Other than that they are prone to oil and coolant leaks, usually the front timing cover, oil/water pump and cam covers, I have replaced head gaskets once for an oil leak. I have replaced four or five and rebuilt two for hydrolock from water ingestion. By and large mechanically they are VERY sound.
If the AC system is leaking and needs a recharge annually, it is most likely from the expansion valve o-rings.
The check engine light will only come on if it sees a problem, which might only be stored and not present, however THERE IS A PROBLEM, it is probably being misdiagnosed.Purchase an aftermarket trouble code reader and clear the errors, if they persist, take it in for servicio.
Oxygen sensors should be replaced every 4 years regardless of mileage.
The BEST part in the car was handbuilt by you know who.
Yeah you're right about everything, front timing cover leaks I think due to oil expansion, I've noticed coolant smell inside the car when the heater is on..so it might be the water pump leaking.
I'm just interested to see who's Maserati here on this forum has the most mileage and what problems they have had so far. I think it'll be interesting instead of waiting for someone's desperate call for help at the last minute after or is about ready to happen. Let's keep on going with this.
thanks.

2012 Stupid Thing
post #14 of 40 Old 11-22-2008, 12:45 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 228
Smile Front timing Cover Leak

I had an issue with a small amount of "seepage" from the front timing cover; just a few drops a week, but nonetheless disconcerting. My 2003 Coupe CC had about 10,000 miles on it at the time. I checked with FMOC and found out from then Service Manager John that it was a fairly common problem. Seems that a liquid sealant is used in that area and the area itself has some auckward angles where parts come together. The leak was fixed under warranty and NO problems since (2 years ago). No other "issues" with my car. I do change oil and filter EVERY 12 months, will soon be installing an aftermarket Air Filter from Jeff at Formula Dynamics, and will change out the F-1 relay EVERY 12 months.
post #15 of 40 Old 11-22-2008, 02:25 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 5,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCalo View Post
Maserati was smart to use timing chains instead of timing belts in their engines. The engine is very similar to that of Ferrari, but Ferrari uses timing belts which require maintenance every 3 years or 30,000 miles. Few have 30,000 miles on their Ferrari's so it's the time period that comes into play. Thus, engine maintenance on Maserati's is low.
The engine design is shared with Ferrari (430) and Alpha (8C) and both of those also use timing chains. I think it was only the older Ferraris that used belts.

https://www.instagram.com/revtravis/

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode