Larini mufflers...less power or my imagination? - Maserati Forum

Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Modern Maserati ::

Larini mufflers...less power or my imagination?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2007, 03:56 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 28
Default Larini mufflers...less power or my imagination?

Well I did it...I went ahead and spent $2K on a Larini system (rear mufflers only) for my '02 CC. Put them on a few days ago and have had mixed feelings about them. On one hand, I didn't expect them to be so much louder than the stock set-up, (although they're really quiet)...and on the other hand, holy sh_t...the sound that comes out of those pipes!! (kinda like a big block F430)
I must say that it's taking me some getting used to having so much noise (sorry, sound) coming from the car, but what 's really bugging me is that the car seems slightly less 'snappy' throughout the entire RPM range in the acceleration department.
I've read elsewhere on this forum that a decrease in back pressure can result in a loss of low end power, and I feel that's what's happening in this case.

By the way, before installing them on my car (an easy, 45 min. bolt on job)
I noticed that the're almost 100% copies of the Tubi mufflers although with slightly larger end pipes.
The reason I'm bringing this up, is that the common belief is that these types of mufflers add HP not decrease it.

In any case, could anyone who may have put Larinis on their Coupe let me know what their experience has been? I'd appreciate the feedback.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:08 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 146

Hi David

I put Larini's on my 04 Coupe about 2 months ago. At first they sounded great - not too loud and only at high revs. Then over time I became aware of a deep booming noise under any sort of load below 3000 rpm. Even pulling away the boom was there, disappearing above 3000.

I had to take them off in the end. All Larini said was check the rest of your stock system for leaks.

Shame as when they were first fitted im sure it didnt sound like that.

As for power - I didnt notice either way
Old 07-08-2007, 03:09 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Burke View Post
---I've read elsewhere on this forum that a decrease in back pressure can result in a loss of low end power, and I feel that's what's happening in this case.
That's a bit ridiculous.

If you are feeling a reduction in performance it's directly related to that muffler's design.

Free flow mufflers should enhance performance and not degrade it. I speak from years of first hand design experience on this subject!

Frequently designs try to achive a specific sound level rather than design for maximum efficiency. This will include internal restrictions to achieve that sound.

Proper design should always be for performance.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCalo View Post
That's a bit ridiculous.

If you are feeling a reduction in performance it's directly related to that muffler's design.

Free flow mufflers should enhance performance and not degrade it. I speak from years of first hand design experience on this subject!

Frequently designs try to achive a specific sound level rather than design for maximum efficiency. This will include internal restrictions to achieve that sound.

Proper design should always be for performance.
Free flow does not mean it increase performance all the time. It is true that free flow muffler will lost a bit of low end but it will gain more at the high end. This is the nature, cannot change it. If you want both end performance increase, you have to have active exhaust system that have the right back pressure for the low rpm then by pass to the free flow at high rpm.
pganmol
Old 07-10-2007, 04:54 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 791

If this were in fact the case you'd see other than straight pipes on Indy cars and F1 cars.

Any exhaust restriction limits performance whether low or high end.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 1,416

Quote:
If this were in fact the case you'd see other than straight pipes on Indy cars and F1 cars.

actually, pganmol is completely right.

free flow does NOT mean increased power all the time...

ie, xpipes give a big boost compared to not.

The logic of f1 cars wouldnt use straights unless they were the best is liek saying that since f1s use RWD, AWD isnt as good for performance cars.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:50 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,740

Quote:

how often do Indy or F1 cars run at low rpm?

2005 Quattroporte
2005 90th Spyder
Old 07-10-2007, 10:13 AM
InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 726

Out of curiosity, did you reset the ECU? Anytime you make a change that could affect the engine's calibration (new fuel, air filter, exhaust system or other engine changes), it would seem a good idea to allow the ECU to recalibrate itself to the new conditions.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBullotta View Post
Out of curiosity, did you reset the ECU? Anytime you make a change that could affect the engine's calibration (new fuel, air filter, exhaust system or other engine changes), it would seem a good idea to allow the ECU to recalibrate itself to the new conditions.
Agreed. When I installed my straight through rear pipes I too noticed a decrese in power and the gearshifts were alot slower than before.

It took a few hundred miles for things to settle down and it now feels a fair bit quicker than stock

02 4200 CC, straight thro' back boxes
06 BMW 535d M Sport Individual
04 Cayenne Turbo
96 M3 Evo 4dr track car
91 Volvo 945 Estate
89 Jaguar XJ-S V12 Convertible
86 Lotus Excel SE
Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Modern Maserati Larini mufflers...less power or my imagination?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.