Maserati Approved Engine Oil? - Page 2 - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 Old 05-19-2006, 02:37 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maserati Oil

Brands and weights should not be mixed if possible. Flushing is not needed.If you wish to do so. be aware that flush cleaning chemicals will leave a residual cleaner in the engine that can harm the new oil. Switching brands or weights is best done at the time of an oil change, and should not be done frequently. Aftermarket oil additives in general are not only useless, but may have a detrimental effect on your engine. Most of these additives are made up of an additive free base oil and a chemical additive that is ten times or more the concentration of any motor oil. When additives are used in there proper concentrations, they will do there job. When you start playing chemist, you can destroy your engines emmision system. None of these companies are SAE/API regulated. They also have no way of knowing what you are using there product for. No "Factory" approves them. Only "Snake Oil Salesman" do. If your dealer does...RUN... I use Red Line 5/40 in my 2005 Maserati GranSport

Chris
2005 Maserati GranSport
2004 Ducati ST4S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 05-19-2006, 04:22 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 202
Send a message via MSN to willie
hi guys,

so why can't we just but like 0-5w on the car and just change it sooner that 6000M. i maybe wouldn't go as far as racing spec oil or maybe not even 0-5w, but if we just do the oil change sooner, and take care of the engine we should be able to get more horsepower out of our cars.(less friction = HP)

in regards to the wear and tear of the engine, i agree that if we put lower oil the engine will suffer/stress, but to what extent. i mean you are not driving it like a F1 driver everyday.

in my opinion i thing any oil will work, you just have to be aware of what you are using and use the engine accordingly.( don't turn on the car and blast like a mad man, let it warm up)

and you can actually go to a specialty shop that will create a special oil blend for your climate , application and engine. we always sent our oil on our race cars to get analyzed and we got so much information out of it.

it is really amazing what you can gain or loss from poor oil selection.

well, like always this is just my opinion and, it comes from my experience only...

willie
post #18 of 30 Old 05-19-2006, 07:37 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 54
Maserati Oil

Testing oil is always a good thing. Racing oil and racing cars are a different application then street cars. 0/5 Racing oil does not have any of the additives that an oil in a street car would have. 0/5w oil will shear backoff the bearing surfaces if it is contaminated by even <1%. It also has no KH/PH stabilizers to prevent it from becoming acidic. The HP gain by using this oil is less than 1%. But in racing, that is could be first to second place.

Dont be shocked if you dont see all the latest API/SAE Energy Conserving ratings on Red Line or Amsoil products. They are small companies, and cannot afford to pay all those goverment fees to buy the license permits.

Chris
2005 Maserati GranSport
2004 Ducati ST4S

post #19 of 30 Old 05-20-2006, 05:45 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 202
Send a message via MSN to willie
Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil
Dont be shocked if you dont see all the latest API/SAE Energy Conserving ratings on Red Line or Amsoil products.

Then that is that,

i think that red line or amsoil is the correct oil. thanks drevil.

you really help all of us, i was reading your earlier post on the tread and you really know your stuff, i agree and i will use your recommendations..

-willie
post #20 of 30 Old 06-07-2007, 04:04 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,065
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Agip

Ferrari and AGIP haven't been together since the late 90's... It's been Shell Oil ever since then.... If you noticed after Schumi joined up even the traditional Ferrari red changed to a darker version because of the Marlboro sponsorship, along with the Shell sticker on the nose.... The only lubricants Ferrari F1 use today are Shell and the fuel is also Shell V-Power... Check out http://www.shell.com/ferrari.

Machines are fixed with tools and parts, people are fixed with kindness and understanding.
post #21 of 30 Old 06-07-2007, 02:55 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 518
Amsoil is great stuff I run it in a few of my cars and will be doing any oil changes that are not done at the dealer with it as well.
post #22 of 30 Old 06-07-2007, 05:50 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 633
The master maserati course cars use Shell Helix, you can tell by the massive logo-stickers.
post #23 of 30 Old 10-06-2007, 08:58 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil View Post
Quaker StatePennzoil European Fomula 5w/40 part # 162353{owned by Shell} is approved,by Ferrari, inexpensive, and very common.
Do you know who specifically carries this. I saw some Quaker Synthetic at AutoZone, but it only comes in 5w30 and I don't think it's the same. Do you know of a retailer that stocks the European formula?
post #24 of 30 Old 10-06-2007, 11:35 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 660
Ferrari uses Shell as standard... remember the sticker on my (now long gone) 550. As for Maserati, the deal is AGIP Tecsint SL, which is also the OEM brand for Lamborghinis. I would use (well, here in Europe) either Silkolene Pro S or Motul 300v. Better quality oils on paper than the AGIP, but then, some people (esp. Lambo G owners) have complained that anything but AGIP is the source of headaches (due to oil pump clogging, typically).

I have used the Silkolene Pro S on my previous 4200 and could not been happier. Have heard that Fuchs sources the Silkolene from third-parties (it is not produced at Funchs-owned facilities) but cannot say for sure. Anyway, both Silkolene and Motul are top-grade products, but difficult to source in the US.

Just my 2c.

In stable :
'06 GranSport LE, Grigio Palladio w/Nero, full leather, fully loaded

Previously owned :
'03 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Verde Mistral w/Beige hide and Cuoio piping
post #25 of 30 Old 10-07-2007, 02:59 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 62
Quote:
Ferrari and AGIP haven't been together since the late 90's... It's been Shell Oil ever since then....
Based on the following 1965 ad in my Ferrari collection, I believe Ferrari and Shell have been together a lot longer than that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shell gas station.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1996  
post #26 of 30 Old 10-07-2007, 06:58 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 98
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pennzoil Platinum European Formula

I recently changed my oil and filter. For the oil I used Pennzoil Platinum European Formula 5w40. I checked and it met all Maserati specs. I don't remember where I purchased it but the link below has a spot to input a zip code for a supplier.

http://www.pennzoil.com/products/mot.../platinum.html

Now if I could only find a reasonable source for the oil filter.
post #27 of 30 Old 01-19-2017, 05:47 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Pennzoil Platinum Euro SAE 5w40 Oil

As a Maserati dealer we only sell and use Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 with PurePlus Technology. This is what Maserati recommends for all models. Check out our eBay Store for great prices on oil, oil filters, air filters, etc. We stock OE parts and accessories for all models to include the new Levante. If you don't see something you are in need of feel free to contact me and chances are we can get it for you.

Kind Regards,

Scott Gregory
eCommerce Sales Manager
Criswell Maserati
Email: sgregory@criswellauto.com
post #28 of 30 Old 02-01-2017, 09:09 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 111
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I just ordered an oil change kit for my quattroporte on eBay from criswell last Thursday and just Came across this post. The items are scheduled to arrive this Thursday but I am across the country in ca. The price was good and shipping was included as well. I'll report back after I finish but I anticipate it's all Oem as specified and shouldn't have any issues.
post #29 of 30 Old 03-21-2017, 12:00 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 37
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I bought the FD kit for mine. I though have used Amsoil for years. I had it in a boat that had the old style ProChargers in it. It had a return line going back to the engine.

We were running hard in rough seas and the bracket broke holding the line. It was in contact with the blower belt and it put a whole in the line. I was not aware until the alarm went off, and with open headers did not hear it. When I finally seen no oil pressure and the light I shut down with the motor having zero oil left. I grant you it was seconds but I was running 5700 RPMs.

Bottom line no damage and I have been sold on Amsoil since.
post #30 of 30 Old 03-21-2017, 08:42 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 119
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
almost ALL of engine wear is when the engine is coming up to temp. The thinner the oil at room temp the better.
ex....for those that think 0-40 is too thin I have this to say.... a 0-40 is THICKER at room temp than a 15-50 at operating temp...

ideally you would want a -5w-40-70w depending on how hot your running your engine oil and what your specific viscosity at operating temp is.

generally for street use or how 99% of use, including those like me who run the car hard want a 0-40. If its a track only car and temps are to be 20-50*f higher its worth the sacrifice of an initially lightweight oil at room temp for one that won't thin out as much on the track.

that said I ran 0-40 on my first GTS entirely and on this one I ran 0-40 and then tried 15-50 (all mobil 1) and Im due for a change right now but don't have access to a lift here in ft lauderdale and will be putting 0-40 back in.

if you want a diy video check my youtube channel.

Instagram.com/GunsCarsBikesCigars
~ Granturismo S
~ V12 Vanquish
~ Hummer H1
~ 17' Cannondale Badboy & RD-17

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode