Maserati Forum banner

FS 2005 Coupe-Gransport 6spd Manual

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  dtchild1 
#1 ·
I recently purchased Lorenzo's awesome 2005 6-speed Manual Coupe that he had converted to look just like a GranSport. Unfortunately, I have a family situation that requires I raise cash quickly and I have to sell the car. I paid a premium price for a premium car and will be looking to get back the sale price, but I will still be eating the sales tax and shipping it to me. The car has under 13,000 original miles - I have literally driven it less than 5 miles since I got it! Yes, I am very sad. It has both interior and exterior changes that make the GS conversion. It has custom aftermarket wheels (Vredstein tires in good shape) and the originals wheels as well (tires are pretty much shot). Includes Navigation with all disks. This car is beautiful and needs nothing! Please serious inquiries only. Asking $45,000 - exactly what I paid Larry for it. Please PM me with your phone number if you want to talk. Thank you, Dan
PS - I also have a very nice highly modified (Formula Dynamics) 2006 GranSport I will be selling as well and will post it soon.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Since I know this car, and have personally driven it when Larry owned it in Florida maybe I can be of some assistance.

The GranSport package itself is and has always been cosmetic. The Front/Rear Bumpers, the side skirts. The valved exhaust wouldn't matter because Larry modified the exhaust on this as well.

Here's the reason why the car has a high resale value. It's a true 3 pedal car. Unless someone else goes through all the work Larry did, you will not see another 3 pedal GranSport car for sale again. Don't forget the interior. The amount of money and work to do what was done was astounding. But from all the GSs and 4200's I've personally looked at Larry's was by far one of the best taken care of, and babied.

#9 ·
No need to delete, I'm glad you posted this because your going to prove my point here about Larry's car. I always respond to these so I'm going to open this up (mechanics/ other mods as well) and play GranSport Trivia. Can someone please tell me why this car is unequivocally NOT a GranSport (eBay listing notwithstanding). This is why its important to have a PPI on these cars and research what your purchasing.

#11 ·
Craig,

Inside baseball: This is my car. I always considered it to be a "Coupe GT", period. End of story. I assumed it was ordered from the factory with a bunch of options found on Gransports but not a GS. I did take it to Maserati dealer for a PPI for a potential buyer. When I looked at the service techs notes he had "Gransport" written as the model type. I talked to the service manager about it. Told him it was a Coupe GT not a GS. He said, "no, when we put the VIN in the computer it comes up GS." I was surprised.

Please enlighten me so I can enlighten the service manager. 0:) ...and fix the listing.

#12 ·
There are absolutely, no Gran Sport manual cars period. You have a face lift car and if memory serves me correct 05' was the last year they made them.

It's clear your car doesn't have side skirts, the glove box specifically states Coupe/GT. You have an NIT in the tunnel of your car. The center console has the CD/Nav player. The instrument cluster doesn't have GranSport writing in it. Gransports have carbon fiber all over the inside including the steering wheel. The center console only has an emergency brake/mirror switch with carbon fiber surround. There's no GranSport badge designation under the V8 emblem on the fenders. The facelift bumpers don't have gills (or openings) on the bottom part of the valance right after the corners (look at the first photo below right in front of my front tires (the gill opening)). I imagine though you don't have photos of the kick plates, the kickplates don't say GranSport either. The only thing about your car that resembles a GranSport is the front grill , the rear bumper and the birdcage wheels.

Here is my GS before I changed the rims:

I haven't the foggest idea why the service manager would tell you that, but what I can tell you is that is not a GranSport. If the VIN states otherwise there's an issue somewhere.

#13 ·
Juxtaposed to your car what Larry did was, change the front valance, and side skirts. He replaced the entire interior with that of a GS, including the steering wheel. He left the cluster, and the badge designation on the glove box. Additionally, he had to leave the NIT, and center console. All those seats, and door panels he changed out with that of a GranSport. So to my knowledge, as far as what I've personally seen, Larry's car is and probably will be the only manual version of the GranSport that looks like that.

#16 ·
Guys, thank you for the interesting conversation! It is definitely great information. As I stated in my first post, I also have a Gransport (with significant improvements added) and there are definitely differences in the cars. I really do not want to sell either of them, but do need to help my kid and will end up selling at least one, if not both.

As Craig states, this car does look like a GS due to Larry's immense investment in both time and money. I have wanted a car like this since I first saw a GS many years ago and when Larry's came up for sale, it was love at first sight. The description of the changes made, by Craig, is perfectly accurate. Larry also added a Navigation NIT for me when I bought it, so it has navigation with the full set of discs.

As far as original parts availability, unfortunately, there are not a lot of things. My deal with Larry included the things he still had, but he had sold much of it. So, I have the original tires (worn out) and wheels (perfect condition), the side skirts (they are wrapped in foam and I have not looked at them, but Larry said they are perfect - I don't know) and the original NIT as a spare. That is it.

The only other modification is the mufflers which have the modifications that are described here on the forum done to them. They are nice, not too loud, but you can hear the car. Suspension wise it is stock and the misconception about the suspension difference between the GT Coupe and the GS is probably that the GS came stock with "Skyhook" suspension and it was an option on the GT Coupe. As stated this car has stock suspension - not the Skyhook. It is a personal item, but I like the stock suspension better than the Skyhook in my GS, but it really does come down to individual preference.

The car really is in fantastic shape and while the price is high, I believe it would cost much more than that to do the conversion today - if you could find the right parts and did not count your time investment.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or would like to discuss anything off-line. Thank you again and I really hope someone ends up with this car that will love it as much as Larry and I do!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.