Why is Ferrari resale value so great but Maserati is terrible? - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 Old 11-22-2008, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Why is Ferrari resale value so great but Maserati is terrible?

Not that I am looking to sell my Maserati but I can't get over why Ferrari retains their value so well and Maserati drops off. Its safe to say that Maserati loses 50% of its value in the first 3 years where a Ferrari doesn't seem to depreciate at all, only when someone is desperate to sell one.

Maserati GranTurismo S MC SportLine Bianco over Nero
Lamborghini Gallardo Gated Spyder Arancio Borealis
Ferrari F430 F1 Rosso over Nero (sold)
Maserati GranTurismo Nero Carbonio over Cuoio (sold)
Maserati GranTurismo Bianco over Rosso (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 11-22-2008, 04:44 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 206
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Supply & Demand
post #3 of 58 Old 11-22-2008, 05:57 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKGS View Post
Supply & Demand
what is the process on purchasing a new Ferrari from the factory? isnt there a waiting list?

Ive seen some great deals on 360s..

post #4 of 58 Old 11-22-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
what is the process on purchasing a new Ferrari from the factory? isnt there a waiting list?

Ive seen some great deals on 360s..
Purchasing a new Ferrari is very easy as long as you have the $$$.

Purchasing a new Ferrari from the factory at MSRP is a whole different story.

Your best bet is to get one of those used 360 (note to self: bring lots of vaseline) from your local Ferrari dealer and establish a good relationship with their service department (note to self: bring even more vaseline and practice bending over lots) so you can put down a sizeable deposit and then maybe get on the so call "list" for a not-yet-released and yet-to-be-determined vehicle in the future that is if you're spot on the list won't get "bumped" by some other "preferred" returning customers of say dealer. Otherwise, it's pretty simple as just buying a car.
post #5 of 58 Old 11-22-2008, 10:30 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 5,887
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Purchasing a new Ferrari is very easy as long as you have the $$$.

Purchasing a new Ferrari from the factory at MSRP is a whole different story.
Actually, buying a new Ferrari is not very easy even when you have loads of money. You still need to get a build slot.

Buying a used Ferrari is very easy as long as you have the $$$

Buying a new Ferrari, only available through an AD, at MSRP is a whole different story

https://www.instagram.com/revtravis/

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
post #6 of 58 Old 11-22-2008, 11:11 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 538
Quote:
Supply & Demand
This would result in lower Ferrari prices, not Maserati. There are far more Ferrari's available.

Bad reputation is the reason, IMO. And, although I love my Maserati, I believe that overall Ferrari's are still better built with less issues. Wish it wasn't so - also wish that Detroit could build the best cars in the world - JUST CANT FIGURE OUT WHY WE CAN'T GET OUR ACT TOGETHER.

SOLD: 2002 Coupe CC: FD Springs, DBW, GS Mufflers, Larini H-Pipe, BMC, Vredestein's, Iridium's
post #7 of 58 Old 11-23-2008, 03:27 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 349
Nobody is safe in this economy. I stole this latest auction prices for Ferraris from another site, these prices have me thinking about a Ferrari.

The nicest deal so far was just posted on FerrariChat, a 2005 F430 blk/blk spyder w/all the options, sold for $160k, thats only $20k less than what a lightly optioned GranTurismo S stickers at.

Manheim Riverside - Post-Sale Results
2000 FERRARI 360 MODENA GREY 23,157 miles $61,000
2002 FERRARI 360 SPIDER YELLOW 6,978 miles $94,000
2001 FERRARI 360 SPYDER BLUE 10,077 miles $80,000
2007 FERRARI 599 GTB RED 6,112 miles $250,000

Currently there are 928 used Ferrari's for sale on Cars.com, 412 used Lamborghinis and 353 used Maseratis.
post #8 of 58 Old 11-23-2008, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp View Post
This would result in lower Ferrari prices, not Maserati. There are far more Ferrari's available.
True if you only look at the supply side.

Desirability which transcends into demand should also be carefully examined.

How many poster of Maserati would you find in a 10-year-old boy's room vs posters of Ferrari's...? and that will always ensure F-car's are in demand.

well, don't get me wrong....not that I'm complaining here since I'm in the market for a nice Maser at much reduced price due to far less competition from fewer potential buyers
post #9 of 58 Old 11-23-2008, 04:59 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 349
FYI-Maserati of Milwaukee just closed their doors . The story supposedly is they sold 6 cars since they opened in summer. Because of the small market and economic conditions they decided not to take the potential for more losses in the near future.
post #10 of 58 Old 11-23-2008, 05:15 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,405
Truth is Ferrari brand is 100x stronger than Maserati. Most "normal" people don't even know what a Maserati is.

2005 GranSport Nero Carbonio-The Fastest color
FD DBW
FD ECM
FD Springs
FD Brake Pads
BMC Air Filter
Cat Bypass (custom)
post #11 of 58 Old 11-23-2008, 05:32 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteroi View Post
Truth is Ferrari brand is 100x stronger than Maserati. Most "normal" people don't even know what a Maserati is.
I agree with that sentiment. To a general audience of car people and non-car people, Ferrari is cooler to have and more universally understood than Maserati.

I think Ferrari is largely carried by it's name and reputation as an exotic sports car of the ultimate level. Maserati isn't.

Maser is sort of always in the shadow of Ferrari despite their lush history and beautiful cars. Maserati, too, is often perceived as an old man's car, with a history of hit-and-miss styling.

Ferrari is perceived as youthful and on the cutting edge. Kids put posters of Ferraris up. Not Maser. Kids don't dream of a Maserati.
post #12 of 58 Old 11-23-2008, 06:21 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 133
Send a message via AIM to KandyRedCoi
although ferrari and maserati share plenty of items, to most peoples perception the Ferraris are 'cooler' and in the US perception means a lot

oh well, i see the depreciation as part of the cost of ownership, for owning a car you truly want and not what everyone else thinks is cool

it rare, classy and has some pretty good performance abilities for a luxury automobile!!! its great!!!

2006 Quattroporte Executive GT
Unique Custom Watch Straps--> www.CTDesigns.us
post #13 of 58 Old 11-23-2008, 08:32 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 133
I don't know about that over here in the UK. Even though the used values tell a different story the opinion I get from the man on the street is that ferrari is a bit passe - a bit predictable, football player\lottery winner territory. Where as the small percentage who know what a maserati is think they are beautiful, very exclusive & very special. You are right though, the used values seem to go through the floor.
post #14 of 58 Old 11-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 4,261
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
The "entry level" Ferrari V8 cars tend to hold their values quite well, until the new model replacement comes along, clearly on the back of generally demand outstripping supply.

The 4 seat big V12s don't sell as well, both new or second hand.

1934 - 1938 - 1982 - 2006

BigFoot's YouTube Channel dedicated to Maserati
post #15 of 58 Old 11-23-2008, 04:53 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 228
Interesting Comments.......

I just returned from a 2 week vacation in Italy. This was my third visit there in the past 4 years. This time we visited the Tuscan region. My point here is, Ferrari is EVERYTHING in Italy. You can see Ferrari hats, emblems, shirts, etc sold at many, many shops and stalls. Not same for Maserati or Lamborghini. Everytime a Ferrari would pass our tour bus the Tour Guide would say, "Look, Ferrari!" Since we were travelling in the northen part of Italy this time, I asked my Tour Guide to check with the Maserati plant as I am a Maserati owner and would like to visit the Assembly Line and gift store. At first, she looked at me like, Where is Maserati? I told her the plant was in Modena. She said that she lived in Bologna (not far from Modena) and was not aware of the plant (Understand now, this is a female, BUT she is an Italian TOUR GUIDE - You would think she would know more about Italy). Anyways, she checks with Maserati. The PR people there were willing to accomodate me with no prior reservation, but the only day I could visit was a Saturday and no tours are given that day and the gift shop is closed. I tried. But, yes, Ferrari OWNS Italy! BTW, my "count" during those 2 weeks; 5 Masers (including 1 new GT) and 4 Ferraris.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode