Typical Maserati owner (as opposed to Ferrari, Porsche, Aspon Martin etc.) - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 11-06-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Typical Maserati owner (as opposed to Ferrari, Porsche, Aspon Martin etc.)

Hi everybody,

what would you guys say are the typical features/character traits of the 'typical' Maserati owner (if there is one)?

And how do they differ from somebody who buys a sports car from another brands, say Ferrari/Porsche/Aston Martin?

I'd love to hear some opinions, they would really help me with my application for a job as a host at a car fair!

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-06-2011, 06:26 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 5,887
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikefastcars View Post
Hi everybody,

what would you guys say are the typical features/character traits of the 'typical' Maserati owner (if there is one)?

And how do they differ from somebody who buys a sports car from another brands, say Ferrari/Porsche/Aston Martin?

I'd love to hear some opinions, they would really help me with my application for a job as a host at a car fair!

Thanks in advance!!
Maserati doesn't really make sports cars like Ferrari or Porsche. Maserati primarily makes grand tourers and sedans. If you want a profile of an owner, you would need to narrow it down more. An owner that buys a brand new $130K sedan is much different than one that buys a 10 year old $20K coupe.

New or used? Coupe or sedan?

https://www.instagram.com/revtravis/

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
post #3 of 28 Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 203
For a new Maserati owner... someone looking for a car fun to drive, semi-exotic, a capable daily driver, and pretty damn sexy! Quite the package.

I don't have a good image of Porsche so I refrain to comment there - but they do have high performance sports cars so... there is just a huge difference between the types of drivers there.

I actually think it's kind of hard to create a profile for the average car owner with most brands - we come from all walks of life with different interest. I personally was not into cars until I sat down in my GT S at the beginning of August 2011, now I've learned so much it isn't even funny!

Proud owner of a 2011 Maserati Gran Turismo S

post #4 of 28 Old 11-11-2011, 11:58 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,024
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Interesting question, but it's one that's sensless to answer. How do you avoid looking like a tool trying to characterize a diverse group of people. No one needs a Maserati but we all love them for slightly different reasons.

'13 Gran Turismo Sport (Grigio Granito/Nuovo Sabbia)
'07 Quattroporte Sport GT (Nero/Beige)
'67 Austin Healey 3000 MK III (Maroon/Black)
'61 Jaguar Mark II 3.8 (Black/Red)
'10 MINI Cooper S Clubman (dark silver/black)
post #5 of 28 Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 14
Send a message via Skype™ to Terry D
At a basic level I think one could there are two camps. There is the power and reliability camp (porsche, Ferrari, etc) and there is the passionate type (Maserati). For me I love the styling and the sound. The fact it is probably less reliable than a Porsche and not as fast straight lining it, is immaterial.
But you're right, probably not good to assess it

Terry D
2005 Cambiocorsa GT, Bianca Fuji, 34,000km
2009 Land Rover Discovery (ideal for the desert)
2010 11m Express Cruiser Boat (just sold! :-(
post #6 of 28 Old 11-16-2011, 08:25 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 271
Impossible to nail down. Probably a much bigger difference within the Maserati owner group than there is between Maserati, Ferrari, Porsche, ... owners as a whole. We are all car enthusiasts of one type or another or we would be driving Toyotas or Fords

-Gary

'05 Coupe
'03.5 & '95 Lotus Esprits
A few Porsche 928s
post #7 of 28 Old 11-17-2011, 08:21 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 242
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
we're all MILFs.

Most of us who also own Ferrari's and Porsches are Cougars.

2014 Quattroporte S Q4
2011 GranTurismo S
2006 GranSport LE
post #8 of 28 Old 11-17-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Haha alright thanks for the replies! I guess it's a bit of a stupid question to ask a person to put themselves in a box, but nonetheless the answers helped me a lot!
post #9 of 28 Old 11-26-2011, 01:06 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 39
Each car represents a certain personality trait that we have an affinity for. I bought my gt cab knowing that it was fatter and slower than my modded turbo Porsche but couldn't be happier. I think of the Maserati as an exclusive chic, elegant, comfortable grand tourer with an incredible voice. I can relax in this car and enjoy the drive.

My Porsche is a purpose-built sports car. It never ever breaks, is blindingly fast (650 hp) and I consider it an agile, aggressive athlete. When I get in that car it begs to driven hard. It's not the car you take out to cruise or tour in. You can but every time you do your a inch away from hyperdrive, knowing your driving one of the fastest cars on the planet.

The Maserati is fine wine or aged cognac. The Porsche is pure alcohol. Both are intoxicating, but in very different ways. I'm just fortunate to own both in my garage and love them equally even if totally differently.

Oh, yeah and when I'm feeling playfull I take out the mini cooper s for a blast....

07 997TT Switzer II 600+, HRE 20", Silcone hoses
10 Maserati Granturismo Cab
10 BMW 535xi Wagon
08 Mini Cooper S
06 BMW 328i
06 M6 Dinan tune, Eisenman Sport (sold)
04 SL55 Pewter/Charcoal (sold)
01 M3 Cabrio (sold)
98 C4S ECU tune, Eibach, Gemballa (sold)
post #10 of 28 Old 11-26-2011, 10:10 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 628
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think it's a great question. Love the replies so far.
post #11 of 28 Old 11-27-2011, 04:55 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 325
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Tall, olive complected (sp?) and handsome..at least that what my girlfriend says...it also helps to have a little Italian blood in you as well.

Personally, I like to be different...which is why I purchased this piece of machinery.

Thank you,
Stephen

06 GS
post #12 of 28 Old 11-30-2011, 04:37 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 73
Beauty vs. Beast?

I think those who buy Maseratis (and also Aston Martins) first and foremost are buying sheer beauty and elegance. Sure these grand tourers have enough muscle to back things up, but these cars are artwork! Picture an elegantly dressed couple going out for an evening of driving, dinner, and music.

I think those who buy Ferraris (also Porsches) first and foremost are buying performance and the latest and greatest race-bred technology. Some models are quite attractive, but not always. Picture a guy who is elegantly dressed, but has a racesuit and helmet in the trunk.

I think those who buy Italian (Ferraris and Maseratis) are looking for a soulful bespoke experience, perhaps at the expense of reliability. They understand the tradeoff -- Italian cars can be temperamental but the curves, engine notes, exhaust notes, smell of the leather -- All worth it!

I think those who buy German (Porsche) value reliability and the fact that a daily driver (except CGT) can also be a beast. Get in, fire it up, take off!

But any individual may have multiple persona which may vary over time.

DL
post #13 of 28 Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 689
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
dlopez001

Sounds like a good description. Italian cars spark more emotion, but sometime practicality takes precedence.

Former '85 Biturbo E owner 25+ years ago.
post #14 of 28 Old 12-01-2011, 03:22 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 14
Send a message via Skype™ to Terry D
Never had a Maserati until now. Never had people photograph my car until now!
Whenever she is parked at a hotel or shopping centre valet here in Dubai, complete strangers take her photo, whether I'm in her or not. I am both flattered and humbled. Not as if Dubai don't have a fair share of exotics.
Must be a true emotional link. She is the pearlescent white and does look fab, if I say so myself. If I knew how to load pictures......

Terry D
2005 Cambiocorsa GT, Bianca Fuji, 34,000km
2009 Land Rover Discovery (ideal for the desert)
2010 11m Express Cruiser Boat (just sold! :-(
post #15 of 28 Old 12-01-2011, 04:40 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 353
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My opinion of exotics car owners. I will use the bellcurve theory. (only applies to about 80% of owners)

Lambo - Guys that have very high yearly incomes, low net worth (low as opposed to their income and how much they could have) love attention, and want to be rockstars.

Maserati/Aston Martin/Bentley - Guys that have the same incomes as Lambo guys but have higher net worths (don't spend quite as much of their money). Guys who want something different that is unique but won't draw quite as much attention of the other exotic options.

Lotus - Guys who want something exotic sounding with moderate incomes and lower net worths who care about attention and all out performance. (Lambo on a budget)

Porsche - I think this is the broadest due to the boxster/cayman vs the 911 owners. So I'll stick to strictly 911 owners. Guys who have moderate to high incomes and net worth's are more in line with their incomes. Performance, reliability, and guys who want to put miles go for these. I truthfully believe that Porsche owners are as a whole the owners who have a passion to drive more than any other brand owner. On another note, I have never found a female who has found a 911 sexy, regardless of the model or year.

Ferrari - Guys that have the highest incomes of all exotics and the highest net worths. These guys like performance but style like the lambo guys is important. However attempting to be humble is important as well. Hence why we usually see younger sucessful guys in Lambos and older wealthy men in Ferraris.

Again this is my opinion. I have based this off my experience with meeting multiple owners of all of they above vehicles. No matter what profile you fit into if your driving any of these cars you have are happy and live a great life (again... bell curve )

PS: I read somewhere the average income of a (New car purchase) Maserati owner was $600,000 a year, not sure how true this is and I'm sure 5% of owners are making that number go way up.

Maserati GranTurismo S MC SportLine Bianco over Nero
Lamborghini Gallardo Gated Spyder Arancio Borealis
Ferrari F430 F1 Rosso over Nero (sold)
Maserati GranTurismo Nero Carbonio over Cuoio (sold)
Maserati GranTurismo Bianco over Rosso (sold)

Last edited by Gigiti; 12-01-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode