What is the true 0-60 performance in real life ?? - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 122 Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 1,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
What is the true 0-60 performance in real life ??

After reading a few threads/messages talking about speed: we all know that having a car that does 0-60 in 4.9s or 5.6s, etc..., does not mean at all that regular drivers can go that fast with their cars. When manufacturers test their cars, they use the best of everything that they have (track, driver, engine tune-up, weather, ...).

So, in real life conditions, what is the REAL performance of our cars from 0to60 ??

QP 4.2
QP 4.7
Gran Turismo coupe
Gran Turismo Convertible

Last edited by Sunshine; 04-01-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 Old 04-01-2011, 06:36 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
After reading a few threads/messages talking about speed: we all know that having a car that does 0-60 in 4.9s or 5.6s, etc..., does not mean at all that regular drivers can go that fast with their cars. When manufacturers test their cars, they use the best of everything that they have (track, driver, engine tune-up, weather, ...).

So, in real life conditions, what is the REAL performance of our cars from 0to60 ??

QP 4.2
QP 4.7
Gran Turismo coupe
Gran Turismo Convertible
In Real World 0-60 is worthless, what is important is 30 to 70, the usual speed difference of an On Ramp to freeway speeds.

Joe -www.italiancarevents.com
Ghibli SS # 2110
Mistral # 1216 ('67 NY Autoshow car)
Khamsin # 1226 (Car & Driver Test car)
Bora # 1046 (next to last production car)
Lamborghini Islero # 6243
Lamborghini Jarama # 10102
Lamborghini Jalpa #12286
Ferrari Mondial Cab # 49713
Iso Rivolta Lele Marlboro # 184 ('73 Geneva Show car)
Laforza # 159
post #3 of 122 Old 04-01-2011, 06:41 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 4,087
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Good point Joe

2005 Coupe GT (true manual) Grigio Palladio/Cuoio
2015 FIAT Abarth Granito Lucente/Nero
2006 GranSport Grigio Alfieri/Nero (fled to the Pacific Northwest)
2005 Quattorporte Blu Nettuno/Cuoio (Gone to parts unknown)
2002 Coupe CC Quarzo Metalica/Cuoio (now the property of our own PhillyMaser16)

post #4 of 122 Old 04-01-2011, 10:23 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 16
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gts.. 5.6
0-62
post #5 of 122 Old 04-02-2011, 01:11 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 5,887
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloce49 View Post
Good point Joe
+1

Great point.

https://www.instagram.com/revtravis/

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
post #6 of 122 Old 04-02-2011, 02:29 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 4,580
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I disagree. I purchased my first car in 1963, a Triumph TR4 and what sold me on the car over it's main rival, the MGB, was the 0-60 time, even way back then. Every road test of every car, whether it is a Prius or a Maserati features the 0-60 speed. It always was, and always will be the standard (for those interested). Most folks could not care less on the 60 to 80 speed or the 70 to 90 speed. I bet not one of you could say what the 70-90 speed is on your own car but I bet you know your 0-60!
post #7 of 122 Old 04-02-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeladler View Post
I disagree. I purchased my first car in 1963, a Triumph TR4 and what sold me on the car over it's main rival, the MGB, was the 0-60 time, even way back then. Every road test of every car, whether it is a Prius or a Maserati features the 0-60 speed. It always was, and always will be the standard (for those interested). Most folks could not care less on the 60 to 80 speed or the 70 to 90 speed. I bet not one of you could say what the 70-90 speed is on your own car but I bet you know your 0-60!
First the operative term in the question was "....in real life conditions...". In the real life everyday driving 0-60 is worthless.

The only people that seem to care about it is pimple face teenagers that drive Mustangs and Carmaros or Bench Racers that would sh*$% themselves if they ever took their car on a real race track. Why do they do the test? Because it sells magazines to people that can't afford to buy the car in the first place.

I've been around these cars and their owners for a long time. And considering that I probably interact with more of them than 99.9% of the people out there including the manufacturers and automotive writers, I can't think of the last time I spoke to any owner that even talked about 0-60. The fact of the matter is that most of the owners have grown up. They do it on a race track, not on the street or an internet forum. Others have bought the cars for other reasons such as style, exclusivity etc.

If you're stuck on straight line acceleration a 0-100 and back to 0 is a much better test of a car's performance.

If you want to know what fast is, it is not 0-60 2.9 seconds. Its going into a corner at 30 MPH when that corner can only be taken at 20 MPH!.

Ghibli SS # 2110
Lamborghini Jalpa #12286
Laforza # 159

Last edited by italiancars; 04-02-2011 at 08:09 PM.
post #8 of 122 Old 04-02-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiancars View Post
First the operative term in the question was "....in real life conditions...". In the real life everyday driving 0-60 is worthless.

The only people that seem to care about it is pimple face teenagers that drive Mustangs and Carmaros or Bench Racers that would sh*$% themselves if they ever took their car on a real race track. Why do they do the test? Because it sells magazines to people that can't afford to buy the car in the first place.

I've been around these cars and their owners for a long time. And considering that I probably interact with more of them than 99.9% of the people out there including the manufacturers and automotive writers, I can't think of the last time I spoke to any owner that even talked about 0-60. The fact of the matter is that most of the owners have grown up. They do it on a race track, not on the street or an internet forum. Others have bought the cars for other reasons such as style, exclusivity etc.

If you're stuck on straight line acceleration a 0-100 and back to 0 is a much better test of a car's performance.

If you want to know what fast is, it is not 0-60 2.9 seconds. Its going into a corner at 30 MPH when that corner can only be taken at 20 MPH!.
What nonsense. Start by picking up the official Maserati brochure, or look at their web site. The 0-60 (or sometimes 0-62) is featured and trust me, Maserati is not martketing their cars to pimply teenagers. Then look at the Jaguar web site and brochuers. 0-60 is featured and again Jaguar is not marketing their $105,000 XKR to pimply teenagers!

I just went to the Ferrari web site, never been there before, and I picked the new California, went to Technical Specifications and lo and behold there was the 0-62 time. I don't think Ferrari is targeting pimply teenagers for their $250,000 California.

So you may sneer at the 0-60 factor but obviously the main car manufacturers, like I, think it is important, as it has always been and always will be!
post #9 of 122 Old 04-02-2011, 10:39 PM

Some further thoughts. I just started reading EVO, one of the finest car magazines anywhere, to which I subscribe. The first road test is of the Maserati
Granturismo MC Stradale and in the tiny Specification Box, the writer puts Engine, Power, Torque, followed by ZERO TO SIXTY TWO (4.6 by the way).

The next road test is the Maserati GT MC Trofeo, which is the racing version, and not many pimply teenagers can afford this, and again the same box shows the ZERO TO SIXTY TWO of 4.4 seconds (I want one!)

Case closed!
post #10 of 122 Old 04-03-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Some further thoughts. I just started reading EVO, one of the finest car magazines anywhere, to which I subscribe. The first road test is of the Maserati
Granturismo MC Stradale and in the tiny Specification Box, the writer puts Engine, Power, Torque, followed by ZERO TO SIXTY TWO (4.6 by the way).

The next road test is the Maserati GT MC Trofeo, which is the racing version, and not many pimply teenagers can afford this, and again the same box shows the ZERO TO SIXTY TWO of 4.4 seconds (I want one!)

Case closed!
"The only people that seem to care about it is pimple face teenagers that drive Mustangs and Carmaros or Bench Racers that would sh*$% themselves if they ever took their car on a real race track. Why do they do the test? Because it sells magazines to people that can't afford to buy the car in the first place."

I guess something got lost between the reading and the comprehension bit.

Ghibli SS # 2110
Lamborghini Jalpa #12286
Laforza # 159
post #11 of 122 Old 04-04-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

30 to 70 is also a great gauge of what a car is capable of (0-60 too, a quarter-mile too). My original post had more to do with the difference of performance between the manufacturer's tests and the real life situation with regular drivers, meaning whatever the test is, what would the difference in performance (some people in other forums say it might be 1.5 second, which would mean that taking 0-60 as an example, regular drivers would only achieve over 7 seconds in a QP or GT). ?
post #12 of 122 Old 04-04-2011, 03:00 PM

My points, Sunshine, was to confute entirely Italiancars, whoever this is, his/her position that 0-60 is meaningless and is only in car brochures, road tests, car web sites etc to satisfy pimply teenagers, which is a ridiculous statement. It is STILL the standard world-wide, always was, always will be. I agree that some people could not care less about 0-60, the Prius buyer for example, but the Ferrari, Maserati, Aston, Lambo buyer certainly does care what it is!
post #13 of 122 Old 04-04-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
My points, Sunshine, was to confute entirely Italiancars, whoever this is, his/her position that 0-60 is meaningless and is only in car brochures, road tests, car web sites etc to satisfy pimply teenagers, which is a ridiculous statement. It is STILL the standard world-wide, always was, always will be. I agree that some people could not care less about 0-60, the Prius buyer for example, but the Ferrari, Maserati, Aston, Lambo buyer certainly does care what it is!
Yes 0-60 is still the standard. Also true that quarter-mile and 30-70 are great tools to judge a car's performance. Bottomline: the way we (regular drivers) drive means that we may not know yet what it feels to be under 5 or 6 seconds with our cars...(?).

Last Saturday a guy approached me in a parking lot after looking at the QP and his first question was: what's the 0-60 performance? When I told him, he said that Jaguar had a car that can kick my a--. I then offered that quarter-mile performance, sound, style, ..., are equally important. And then he said that even compared to a faster Jaguar R Coupe, he would like to have the Maserati. By the way, many people gave me the thumbs up that day...
post #14 of 122 Old 04-04-2011, 03:49 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 126
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My buddy'n me....

I must’a got me one of them thar Furrari motors in my 09 GT, cause me’n my buddy clocked a zero to sixty run in about 3.5 seconds! Now I’m telling you the conditions were perfect! A cool Autumn day with lilacs bloomin all around, and with fresh hot tarmac under them tyres, but his Timex don’t lie!

I put’er in the lowest gear I could find and stomped on the gas! The rear tires chirped like a hedgehog in a wood chipper, just a little to let us know that they took hold and pinned us to that Etalian leather! My buddy dropped his Timex but when he picked it back up, 3.5 seconds had gone by and just by coincidence, I had looked down at the speedo and I was ZOOMIN past the 60 mph mark! And I yelled MARK! He said, “WHAT” cause Mark is my buddy’s name. And I said “how fast did I go?” He said REEEAALY fast”. So I’m stick’n to my claim that my Maserati does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds!

"Life's too short to .... oh, I forget"

Still own ...

2009 GranTurismo (Bordeaux)
2000 Volvo C70 Convertible (Red)
1973 XKE Roadster (Red 4-speed)
2011 Tahoe 4x4 LTZ (Ruby Red)
1954 Ford F-100 (Red - Bought new by father)

And parted with ...

2005 Volvo S60R (Red 6-speed)
1980 Corvette L82 (Red)
1998 Navigator (Laser Red)
1973 Camaro RS/LT (Red - First New Car)
post #15 of 122 Old 04-04-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
Yes 0-60 is still the standard. Also true that quarter-mile and 30-70 are great tools to judge a car's performance. Bottomline: the way we (regular drivers) drive means that we may not know yet what it feels to be under 5 or 6 seconds with our cars...(?).

Last Saturday a guy approached me in a parking lot after looking at the QP and his first question was: what's the 0-60 performance? When I told him, he said that Jaguar had a car that can kick my a--. I then offered that quarter-mile performance, sound, style, ..., are equally important. And then he said that even compared to a faster Jaguar R Coupe, he would like to have the Maserati. By the way, many people gave me the thumbs up that day...
No question our Jaguar XKR with the new 510 HP engine will leave most cars standing to 60 MPH and it's 60 -90 is very quick too, much faster than the QP, but as you say, the QP has style and class which few other marques have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode