LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 122 Old 04-05-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 1,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanzyl View Post
Keeping this thread more on topic: I can tell you that my purchase of a QP had absolutely nothing to do with its 0-60 specs. Style? Class? Exclusive? Oh yes.
+1. And the knowledge that it can still go very fast at all times. And this sound!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 122 Old 04-06-2011, 03:00 AM
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 4,108
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeladler View Post
My points, Sunshine, was to confute entirely Italiancars, whoever this is, his/her position that 0-60 is meaningless and is only in car brochures, road tests, car web sites etc to satisfy pimply teenagers, which is a ridiculous statement. It is STILL the standard world-wide, always was, always will be. I agree that some people could not care less about 0-60, the Prius buyer for example, but the Ferrari, Maserati, Aston, Lambo buyer certainly does care what it is!
Yes. And YES. And yes again!

btw, weird thread. It's the closest to "whip it out" I've seen on this forum, and the topic hardly merits the child's tantrum. Pathetic, honestly.
post #33 of 122 Old 04-06-2011, 03:02 AM
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiancars View Post
Which was my point, 0-60 times are like Fax Numbers, everyone's business card has one, but no one uses it.
I drive my car from 0 to 60 on a daily basis. Many, many times, and with lead feet. How exactly is that span of time irrelevant?
post #34 of 122 Old 04-07-2011, 02:39 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,100
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah same for me, although when reading or hearing about it, the only thing to compare is the numbers.... But i must honestly say i didnt even care for the numbers myself, just the top speed.. But once i climbed in, that 10 min test drive had me strapped to the fastest car i had driven up till that time it felt like to me... The actuak feeling is what turned me on to my baby and i was hooked!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLTRADER66 View Post
Here is my $0.02 FWIW: I am not too bothered about 0-60 times and didn't even know nor cared what it was for the 2009 QP S that I ended up buying after a 10 minute test drive! Having said that I know that it is something that matters to some folks. Now, electric motors have a much greater torque than combustion engines hence expect future electric sports cars to post 0-60 times in the 2-2.5 second range BUT lower top speeds as they aren't able to generate the same power (bhp) per weight. They will win the stop light race but lose on the track.

Disclaimer: I am not an automotive expert but a pimply faced 44+ year old who doesn't have the balls to drive quickly!
post #35 of 122 Old 04-07-2011, 03:13 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,024
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I agree with Elambo that this was a weird thread. Discussing 0 to 60 times on a group of cars that are largely designed and marketed as grand touring cars seems a bit odd. I think we all own these cars for different reasons, but my guess is that 0 to 60 times are not high on most people's list. If that's the case, there are a lot of cars out there that can be had for much less money that have very impressive 0 to 60 times. The Nissan GTR and Corvette come to mind. However, although I appreciate what those car have to offer, I'm perfectly fine with my buy decision.

'13 Gran Turismo Sport (Grigio Granito/Nuovo Sabbia)
'07 Quattroporte Sport GT (Nero/Beige)
'67 Austin Healey 3000 MK III (Maroon/Black)
'61 Jaguar Mark II 3.8 (Black/Red)
'10 MINI Cooper S Clubman (dark silver/black)
post #36 of 122 Old 04-07-2011, 03:38 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 276
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone pay any attention to the 0-60 of F-1? To me it's the same with a Maser, just not designed to be a dragster. There's just so much more sophistication in these cars to bother comparing it to a Chevy statistic...

Haven't heard anyone comparing lateral G's on the Camero boards. (not that I actually checked)

Matt
2005 Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa (Vintage Package)
post #37 of 122 Old 04-07-2011, 05:44 AM
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

I only care how the car performs. Stats, of ANY kind, only serve to help me predict what that performance (the experience) will be like before I buy. Once I have the car I don't much care about stats anymore. I'm always curious how it compares to other cars, sure.

But it absolutely does matter, to me, how quickly the car gets to 60. It's a very big element of the experience. I drive aggressively.
post #38 of 122 Old 04-07-2011, 06:44 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 504
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I only care how the car performs. Stats, of ANY kind, only serve to help me predict what that performance (the experience) will be like before I buy. Once I have the car I don't much care about stats anymore. I'm always curious how it compares to other cars, sure.

But it absolutely does matter, to me, how quickly the car gets to 60. It's a very big element of the experience. I drive aggressively.
If you want to drive aggressively, do it on a Race Track. How many track events do you do a year?

Joe -www.italiancarevents.com
Ghibli SS # 2110
Mistral # 1216 ('67 NY Autoshow car)
Khamsin # 1226 (Car & Driver Test car)
Bora # 1046 (next to last production car)
Lamborghini Islero # 6243
Lamborghini Jarama # 10102
Lamborghini Jalpa #12286
Ferrari Mondial Cab # 49713
Iso Rivolta Lele Marlboro # 184 ('73 Geneva Show car)
Laforza # 159
post #39 of 122 Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 AM
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiancars View Post
If you want to drive aggressively, do it on a Race Track. How many track events do you do a year?
I drive aggressively on the streets in precisely the fashion that I prefer to. If I were a track guy I'd have bought a track car. Odd as it may be, I have very little interest in the track.

Either way, I don't follow how this relates to our little thread here.
post #40 of 122 Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I drive aggressively on the streets in precisely the fashion that I prefer to. If I were a track guy I'd have bought a track car. Odd as it may be, I have very little interest in the track.

Either way, I don't follow how this relates to our little thread here.
Driving aggressively doesn't always mean being unsafe.

I personally love the sound of the 4.7L in 1st gear from a dead stop and letting it roar. Speeding? No. Someone else may put their car in auto-non sport, and the car would glide to the same speed in a less "aggressive" manner with barely an exhaust note.

I don't want to speak for elambo, but I don't think he meant breaking the law and being a jackass on the road when he mentioned aggressive driving.

2011 Quattroporte Sport GT S
post #41 of 122 Old 04-07-2011, 02:35 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,024
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I think we all have expectations about the performance of our cars. If you're into cars, you tend to know what other cars can do 0-60 since it's published everywhere you look. However, most people make a snap evaluation of that when they get behind the wheel for the first time. If the car meets their expectations of how they think a Maserati should perform, then they're satisfied and move on to consider other factors that go into the buy decision. Quit frankly, it would be very difficult for the average person to discern the difference between a 5.4 sec. 0-60 time from a 5.1 time by judging how their car comes off the line. All we know is that the car either responded when we hit the gas and then accelerated quickly or it didn't. As such, these stats tend to have more significance on paper than they do in real life.

'13 Gran Turismo Sport (Grigio Granito/Nuovo Sabbia)
'07 Quattroporte Sport GT (Nero/Beige)
'67 Austin Healey 3000 MK III (Maroon/Black)
'61 Jaguar Mark II 3.8 (Black/Red)
'10 MINI Cooper S Clubman (dark silver/black)
post #42 of 122 Old 04-07-2011, 05:43 PM

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by russarch View Post
I think we all have expectations about the performance of our cars. If you're into cars, you tend to know what other cars can do 0-60 since it's published everywhere you look. However, most people make a snap evaluation of that when they get behind the wheel for the first time. If the car meets their expectations of how they think a Maserati should perform, then they're satisfied and move on to consider other factors that go into the buy decision. Quit frankly, it would be very difficult for the average person to discern the difference between a 5.4 sec. 0-60 time from a 5.1 time by judging how their car comes off the line. All we know is that the car either responded when we hit the gas and then accelerated quickly or it didn't. As such, these stats tend to have more significance on paper than they do in real life.
I agree. If you are a fan of Top Gear (BBC) you would have seen an episode where they race two cars and then swap drivers (the episode I have in mind involves an R8 and another supercar, can't remember exactly). When one driver raced in the R8, it lost. When they swapped drivers, the R8 won. In other words, "real world" performance is strongly dictated by the skill of the driver.

So, for the average driver, 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, and 0-60 in 4.9 seconds
(i.e., less than 1 second difference) is like telling the difference in ocean volume after taking out a spoonful. Unless you have a highly skilled driver giving your their assessment, a non-track driver (like me) would have difficulty saying "yeah, this car is much quicker off the line than the other one".

post #43 of 122 Old 04-07-2011, 06:29 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 96
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree that 0-60 doesn't mean much in the real world, to really get a car going off the line can sometimes be a brutal experience, especially in cars with launch control and semi-automatic transmissions (BMW M5, GTR, etc.)

On the other hand, I like to know that when I spend my money the car is "fast enough" compared to its competition. I think horsepower, torque and power/wt is more important. My car has 440 hp from a naturally aspirated 4.7 L V8, I think that's amazing. Unless it weights as much as a semi-trailer, I know it's fast enough.

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to buy a car for 0-60 only, it is a crude measurement and doesn't tell you anything about the car, other than bragging rights?

Why do car manufacturers quote? Purely for marketing. To make a buyer feel good, so he can feel that his car is "faster" than yours, but you would have to be pretty insecure if that is why you bought the car.

Cars are emotional investments. I bought the Maserati because I "love" it, it was the styling, sound and beauty of the car. Someone mentioned Jaguar, and for me, the Jag didn't match up in those 3 elements. I don't care if its 0-60 is faster.

With launch control, AWD, and computer technology, 0-60 times will drop even more (sub 3 sec in the Turbo S), but that will tell me even less about the "experience" of the car.

How many of us could have had a GT-R, or an Ariel Atom? We choose our Maseratis and Astons for a reason.
post #44 of 122 Old 04-07-2011, 06:51 PM

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTO View Post
How many of us could have had a GT-R, or an Ariel Atom? We choose our Maseratis and Astons for a reason.
+1 Well said.

post #45 of 122 Old 04-07-2011, 06:55 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 4,087
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I got from zero-to-60 in exactly 60 years.

2005 Coupe GT (true manual) Grigio Palladio/Cuoio
2015 FIAT Abarth Granito Lucente/Nero
2006 GranSport Grigio Alfieri/Nero (fled to the Pacific Northwest)
2005 Quattorporte Blu Nettuno/Cuoio (Gone to parts unknown)
2002 Coupe CC Quarzo Metalica/Cuoio (now the property of our own PhillyMaser16)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode