vdr

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Sport - Manual Mode?

I see a good many of you reference driving in Sport Manual mode much of the time to get the most spirited driving experience, just to clarify.... when referencing the aforementioned do you guys mean simply putting the transmission in "D" and using the paddles or do you mean putting the trans to the left of "D" and then using the paddles?

Frankly I'm unsure as to what the exact difference is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 06:50 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 578
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr View Post
I see a good many of you reference driving in Sport Manual mode much of the time to get the most spirited driving experience, just to clarify.... when referencing the aforementioned do you guys mean simply putting the transmission in "D" and using the paddles or do you mean putting the trans to the left of "D" and then using the paddles?

Frankly I'm unsure as to what the exact difference is.

For me, this means pressing the Sport mode button (to put into Sport mode), then moving the shifter into manual mode (from "D") and using the paddles to switch gears. This way I extract the most performance and enjoyment out of it. (Also, throttle response becomes noticeably quicker in this mode with the sports cats). I can also the control the exhaust noise to a certain extent by controlling the exhaust flow. It really sounds the best this way in my opinion.

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible: Bianco Eldorado/Nero; Carbon Fiber Aero Package; Interior Carbon Package-Evo I+II; 20% tint; clear bra; Larini sport cats

2008 Ferrari F430 Spider: Avus Bianco exterior/Red leather interior; Daytona seats; Carbon Fiber dash trim and steering wheel; 20% tint; clear bra; Sport exhaust (LOUD!)

2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano: Nero/Cuoio; F1 superfast transmission; Daytona seats
post #3 of 7 Old 04-21-2017, 04:28 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 2,166
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
As the man said. Although with the ZF box, it retains rather more control than the F1 box.

Cheers

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
4.2 GT Automatic, 147 TS, Sprint 1.7

post #4 of 7 Old 04-21-2017, 01:41 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 13
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Speaking of controlling exhaust flow... I am a new owner of a 2016 GT Sport and I want to share what I think the exhaust is doing and when. If in sport mode and automatic, the valves seem to definately open at 2500 RPM and above. When I put the car into pure manual mode, I swear the valves are always open. I can hear a difference just at idle. Does this seem to jive with what everyone else experiences? Not sure if they have changed anything for the newer cars? I always heard 3500 RPM is when the valves open, but I can hear a very distinct difference at 2500.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-21-2017, 02:27 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 5
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's my experience with my 2013 GTS, as well. When in manual mode, the exhaust sounds like it's open at all times. And damn if it isn't a beautiful sound.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-21-2017, 03:35 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 13
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Extremely Beautiful!!!!!
post #7 of 7 Old 04-22-2017, 08:07 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 2,166
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
It's possible that they open all the time, but it seems unlikely. You should know better, though, gents

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
4.2 GT Automatic, 147 TS, Sprint 1.7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode