LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Parts bin?

Yesterday I was watching a YouTube video bashing quite badly the Ghibli for having various Chrysler interior parts.

I was wondering just out of curiosity, other than the obvious parts (the engine from Ferrari) what does the GT is picking from the Fiat/Alfa Romeo/Ferrari parts bin? I guess the keyfob is coming from Alfa as well.

Any other parts like the turn signal stack and such?

Cheers!

flâneur

[French; noun] one who strolls around aimlessly but enjoyably, observing life and his surroundings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 12:45 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 578
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korenai View Post
Yesterday I was watching a YouTube video bashing quite badly the Ghibli for having various Chrysler interior parts.

I was wondering just out of curiosity, other than the obvious parts (the engine from Ferrari) what does the GT is picking from the Fiat/Alfa Romeo/Ferrari parts bin? I guess the keyfob is coming from Alfa as well.

Any other parts like the turn signal stack and such?

Cheers!
I guess you mean Doug Demuro? I know he gets bashed sometimes by the online community for being a jerk, but I like his videos....it's informative, funny and he tells it like it is. And I agree 100% with his review of the Ghbili.

For me, I'm not 100% sure that all the parts in the GT come from Italy. I know for sure that the transmission comes from Germany. However, I'm thankful it's not Chrysler parts. That's the one positive of the GT being so old.....it was conceived and built when Ferrari used to own Maserati. The one thing I do know for sure is that when the updated GT comes out, it will be a Chrysler-contaminated monstrosity.

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible: Bianco Eldorado/Nero; Carbon Fiber Aero Package; Interior Carbon Package-Evo I+II; 20% tint; clear bra; Larini sport cats

2008 Ferrari F430 Spider: Avus Bianco exterior/Red leather interior; Daytona seats; Carbon Fiber dash trim and steering wheel; 20% tint; clear bra; Sport exhaust (LOUD!)

2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano: Nero/Cuoio; F1 superfast transmission; Daytona seats
post #3 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 02:32 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 141
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
PSB is correct. Our GT's are one of the last pure Maserati / Ferrari products. I believe the 3200GT would be the first. Either way it ain't no stinking Ghibli/Levante Chrysler hybrid.

As much as I like Doug, his Ghibli video is not telling the whole story. All those tech options are available on the Ghibli just not that particular year. Not sure why he didn't mention that first as I guess it would destroy his argument that the Ghibli isn't worth it.

He says the steering and suspension is great. The engine is powerful and sounds good. Plus the brand obviously has cachet. So his only real argument is it's filled with Chrysler crap (I agree).

Last edited by badhobz; 04-20-2017 at 08:33 PM.

post #4 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, it was Doug's video. I like him too since back when he had the 360, and I don't really disagree with him on that Ghibli review.

I agree with you two gentlemen when you say that the GT is and probably will be the last of it's kind, since the next one will be under FCA. I like that. So far, it is also the latest Maserati to come out from Modena, since the QuattroPorte, Ghibli and Levante are assembled at the Mirafiori plant, in Torino.

But my question was more where do the parts that our cars have in common with others are coming from. I suspect more Alfa Romeo/Ferrari, of course Chrysler was not in the picture at that time.

Good point with the ZF transmission, is it the exact same one of some other car?

I was more thinking of interior small bits though.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 08:37 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 141
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Besides the engine (ferrari) and tranny (ZF Germany) i believe the rest of the items were actually Maserati's own design and build. Well probably not the airbags... they might even be those explosive japanese takata airbags, but the infotainment, seats, window switches were their own stuff. Dont quote me, but im pretty sure thats the case as some of the items were carried over from the QP/Grand Sport/etc
post #6 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 11:57 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 21
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I personally don't see what the big deal is with using a non-luxury, corporate setup of items.

Not everything is a Rolls Royce.

The UConnect from FCA is centuries better than the current GT UI. Regardless that you can find it in a Dart.

Does everyone hate on the Gallardo or Huracan because it's a Volkswagen? (shock! awe!)

Ferrari's suspension because they had to lease the suspension shock technology from General Motors?

Etc etc.

I much rather prefer a "well designed overall" car, regardless of the symbols that are on the back of some of the components.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-21-2017, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper98912 View Post
I personally don't see what the big deal is with using a non-luxury, corporate setup of items.

Not everything is a Rolls Royce.

The UConnect from FCA is centuries better than the current GT UI. Regardless that you can find it in a Dart.

Does everyone hate on the Gallardo or Huracan because it's a Volkswagen? (shock! awe!)

Ferrari's suspension because they had to lease the suspension shock technology from General Motors?

Etc etc.

I much rather prefer a "well designed overall" car, regardless of the symbols that are on the back of some of the components.

Well then, if you're going to use corporate generic parts in a top-tier luxury brand automobile, then price the vehicle accordingly.

Also, the parts and technology from Audi/Volkswagen is light years ahead of anything from Chrysler/Jeep. The UConnect system is terrible. It's slow, error-prone, and horribly unintuitive. I had to rent a Ghibli loaner several times and was horrified how cheap all the buttons and switchgear felt, not to mention lots of cheap, hard plastic everywhere. It's no different than riding in a Chrysler 300C, but three times more expensive. Have you ever sat in an Audi? The buttons, switchgear, etc, are all rock solid, intuitive and feels great to the touch. Audi makes some of the best car interiors in the business. That is a fact. And speaking of Lambos, it was Audi that saved Lamborgini (and is now stronger than ever).........unlike Chrysler which is sinking Maserati.

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible: Bianco Eldorado/Nero; Carbon Fiber Aero Package; Interior Carbon Package-Evo I+II; 20% tint; clear bra; Larini sport cats

2008 Ferrari F430 Spider: Avus Bianco exterior/Red leather interior; Daytona seats; Carbon Fiber dash trim and steering wheel; 20% tint; clear bra; Sport exhaust (LOUD!)

2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano: Nero/Cuoio; F1 superfast transmission; Daytona seats
post #8 of 22 Old 04-21-2017, 02:06 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 11
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm not gonna comment on what DeMuro said in that video, he's an idiot IMO, and the Ghibli/QP VI are probably the best Maseratis so far (maybe with the exception of the V6 engines), but the GT and the QP V are sharing some electronics and other minor stuff (like the wing mirrors) with Alfa 159/Brera.
post #9 of 22 Old 04-21-2017, 11:08 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 209
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper98912 View Post
Agree.. but if your OCD...you might see it a bit differently....

Just in case you need to be reminded why....
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...-mc-gt4-sound/

post #10 of 22 Old 04-21-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshy View Post
I'm not gonna comment on what DeMuro said in that video, he's an idiot IMO, and the Ghibli/QP VI are probably the best Maseratis so far (maybe with the exception of the V6 engines), but the GT and the QP V are sharing some electronics and other minor stuff (like the wing mirrors) with Alfa 159/Brera.
I did not knew about the wing mirrors. I'll check on the next Brera I see!

But don't get my wrong, I was not looking for this info to bash on the GT, Maserati or whoever; it was just curiosity and I wanted to know more on my car. And Doug... well, love him or hate him!

I do agree though with PSB, that if a luxury car marketed as such, with a historic name like Maserati, should not have TOO MANY parts shared with lesser prestigious cars. Especially at that price.

It is also true that sometimes, the lesser parts acquire a mythical status over the years, like the FIAT stalks in 80s and 90s Ferraris or the McLaren F1 rear lights from... a bus.
post #11 of 22 Old 04-22-2017, 12:31 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korenai View Post
I did not knew about the wing mirrors. I'll check on the next Brera I see!
159's mirros. Brera has very beautiful and completely different mirrors, and it puzzles me why they haven't used those for the GranTurismo.
post #12 of 22 Old 04-22-2017, 08:12 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 2,166
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Agree.. but if your OCD...you might see it a bit differently....
I would state categorically that there is not a single car on the road that does not share parts with another. Things like spark plugs, filters and minor components: There is no point in a company going through the entire design and manufacture process. Major components like engine blocks? Why would you spend *millions* just to use it in one car? Even Rolls Royce share parts.

Of course, if they are trying to solve a specific issue, then there may be a custom part.

<edit: On reflection I guess it's possible that the real hyper cars: Zonda, McClaren et al, might spec all their own parts and be unique. Slightly different cost of entry, though!>
C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
4.2 GT Automatic, 147 TS, Sprint 1.7
post #13 of 22 Old 04-22-2017, 08:14 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 2,166
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshy View Post
159's mirros. Brera has very beautiful and completely different mirrors, and it puzzles me why they haven't used those for the GranTurismo.
4200 uses Alfa 166 mirrors. Then there's the lifter mechanism, filters, belts and heater matrix.

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
4.2 GT Automatic, 147 TS, Sprint 1.7
post #14 of 22 Old 04-22-2017, 11:38 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 49
I am involved in the Industry and every OEM shares pets across their brands. The cost of tooling and engineering are too high for a small run manufacture, if the did the cost of the vehicle would triple. Thatbis why they outsource so much today. You would be surprised how much of the technology is shared between the OEM's

Magna, Denso, Bosch, Antolin, Brembo, etc. this is the future.

Enjoy the personality of the car. I do not mind the screen on my GT, I love the car and the personality of it. I am current shopping for a more exotic sports car and two of the three brands run Bosch electronics.

A beetle and Ferrari use Bosch lol.

So I disagree with the video, if you are shopping for a car just based off that I suppose yes a 300 has some of the same parts but they do not feel and sound the same.

Neither does a beetle and a Audi A8 but they share many of the same as well. I am sure a 458 and a GT do as well. That comment I am sure is going to start a fight lol

Enjoy the weekend
post #15 of 22 Old 04-22-2017, 02:05 PM

I'm not naïve to think that cars do not share parts within each brand/company. However, we're not talking about a spark plug, a brake pad, a spring, a bolt, or a screw. Why take the exact same buttons and switchgear from $15K car and put them in a $90k car?! In plain sight of the driver! Do they think the customer will never notice? Do they put the same buttons and switchgear from a Dodge Caravan and put them in a Ferrari 458? And we're not talking about Audi parts (which has a stellar reputation). We're talking about Chrysler parts....the bottom of the ladder. Do you see any Lambos being sold at a discount because it has Audi parts? It's the sort of mentality that explains why Maserati find themselves in the state that they are in and why their cars are losing so much value.

Last edited by psb1013; 04-22-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode