Maserati Forum banner

An Interview with Reid Bigland

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  vdr 
#1 ·
Just got my latest edition of Automobile Magazine and in it was an interview with the aforementioned who is head of Alfa Romeo and Maserati. Though most of the interview revolved around Alfa, there was a telling question and answer:

AM: Speaking of opportunities, what is the latest on the Alfieri coupe?

RB: I don't think we'll have an Alfieri in 2018. But it's still orbiting the Earth, we continue to kick that around. We're coming off an unprecedented level of investment at Maserati. We'll continue to make incremental improvements to our product portfolio, but arguably the next ones out there would, yes, be the Alfieri and then potentially (emphasis mine) a next-generation GranTurismo and GranCabrio.

#2 ·
Translated into English: "Don't get your hopes up"

#7 ·
True, but you need money to stay alive. Unfortunately, SUV's and crossovers are dominating the market right now and Maserati doesn't have a choice if it wants to stay in business.

They are using the Porsche playbook to get them to become a relevant brand again. Just like Porsche made money off the Cayenne to keep the 911 and the company alive, Maserati is hoping to do the same with the Levante to fund their other models. So for the moment, the GT has become the neglected child.

#5 · (Edited)
Why not just continue using the beautiful and universally admired Pininfarina coach work on an updated chassis ,electronics, new styling inside...maybe turbo the 4.7 V8... and your problem is solved as far as there being a GT in the line-up...
It's a stop gap measure...maybe ..but it gives you time to figure out how to make the next Granturismo truly special.

#6 ·
Why not just continue using the pininfarina coach work of the MC on an updated chassis ,electronics, maybe turbo the 4.7 V8...
and your problem is solved as far as there being a GT in the line-up...
It's a Stop gap--measure...maybe ..but it gives you time to figure out how to make the next Granturismo truly special.
My local dealer did just tell me that they will shoehorn the Ghibli transmission and tech into an updated Granturismo. It would also be nice if they would take some of the Gulia's diet plan and swap some more panels for carbon fibre.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.