Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Modern Maserati GranTurismo ::

Porsche vs Maserati

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 04:32 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,808

Quote:
Originally Posted by outamoney View Post
William,
The government website says Maserati's are OK but modifications if any are to be done by a Canadian Maserati dealer.
Here are a couple of links:

MASERATI

Registrar of Imported Vehicles

Cheers
Thanks..... but what I would prefer to do is to keep the car registered in the US and still be able to cross the border wsith it for visits.

Where do you register those Calif vehicles? If in Calif... can you drive them to Canada for visits?

WW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:58 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 2

Yep, the noise of the blip on the downshift from 4th to 2nd would excuse almost any shortcomings in my book. The quality of a car is one thing, how it makes you 'feel' is another.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 329
Send a message via AIM to royalpar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff2605 View Post
I sold my Porsche earlier this year & traded up for a Granturismo S. In all honesty, I don't think the Maserati is as good a car, it doesn't feel as good on the road, doesn't handle as well and isn't as well put together. Having said that, I wouldn't swap it back for a Porsche unless I was going to do a lot of track driving. The sense of occasion in the Masa, the noise and the theatre it provides makes up for any shortcomings it may have. And to be honest it isn't far behind, it's a fabulous car & regardless of my view that Porsche probably make the absolute best cars, I don't regret buying the Maserati for a moment, I absolutely love it.
Same boat and same sentiments ! My Porsche was a Go-Kart, and could do anything. However the shear beauty of Maserati, arriving in quiet elequence, and the smooth yet gutteral throaty sound is far more satisfying than that of the Porsche. Having useable back seats is a real plus. the head turning to look at the car never happened with the Porsche as they are just so common here in South Florida. My choice is also the Maserati, although a 612 Cab would have me saving my pennies

Grand Cabrio Sport MY 012
Nero /Nero/Black top/Red calipers, Carbon Fiber Everywhere

SLK-350 Tricked out 2013
E-350 MY 012

2010 Mini Cooper Cabriolet S sold
2013 Mini Cooper S, JCW Edition Gone
GTC 2011 Sold :(
911 997 Cab Bye Bye
911 993 Cab Gone
911 993 Targa Long Gone
Old 11-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 572

I had an iceberg silver 911 with a fact GT3 style body kit, (that's what poor people who like GT3's do), I loved it more then anything...UNTIL I found out that maybe, just maybe, I could actually own the legend, a Maserati.

Then I test drove one and, after my heart almost jumped out of my chest just for being that close to a car I'd only seen on TV or heard about in a song, knew on the spot what I needed to do.

Go park your Masi next to any Porsche or drive up beside one and see where all the eyes go. No disrespect to Porschians but they're a dime a BMWDozen and I don't think anyone (but me) ever took a pix of my Porsche and it was bad ass. I can't tell you, (and you'll see this very quickly), how many times cameras and video cams come out for an exclusive rare encounter with a work of pure Italian art, even my modest little '04 CC Coupe. That's not the only reason I bought it but the exclusivity factor, mixed with the fact that it's the sexiest classiest auto on the planet, sure makes it that much sweeter to pilot around town.

I'd love to have both but I'm a regular guy with a house a child a big dog and an SUV who has to choose one sports car. That said I've never looked back on the Porsche and I really LOVE having a rare car like the Masi in the garage to go jetting at my whim. Sometimes I just open the door to the garage and stare and think wow, life's been good to me so far!

SDS

'04 Coupe
Old 11-21-2010, 06:26 PM
InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 2,881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff2605 View Post
The quality of a car is one thing, how it makes you 'feel' is another.
It's THE thing.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:17 AM
InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 77
Default How Car Makes You Feel vs. Build Quality

I concur whole-heartedly. I wanted to share some of my thoughts, as a sort pathos for me, and for the benefit of any readers who are sitting on the fence, deciding whether they should buy an exotic.

Since 2006, I have bought and sold almost 10 cars, some exotic, and some not. I would say that the "exotics" in the bunch, hands down, did not have the same build quality as some of the others. Due to money issues, I'm now down to only 2 cars, my SL 55 AMG and 350Z Nismo.

My SL 55 AMG is a fine machine, a lot of leather (including alcantara all over the place where real leather and glass is not, with hand stitching), great power (500 hp supercharged V8), convertible hard top without a huge butt, beautiful rims and brake calipers, nice stereo and sat/nav, air ventillated and massaging seats, etc.

But many of the other cars I had, what I would consider "exotics," stirred my soul in ways that my SL just cannot, and I don't think any Mercedes, BMW, Audi or even Porsche ever could (I had a great 911 Turbo too).

Focusing on the 2 Ferraris, 2 Maseratis, 1 Lambo and 1 Aston Martin I owned, they all shared some of the following traits.

First, the leather SMELLED LIKE LEATHER, not crayons, or other b.s. It was strong; it was intoxicating. From the moment I sat in one of these cars, the smell hit me and heightened my senses incredibly.

Second, the sound of the engine in these cars is AMAZING. Ironically, the Aston and Maser Coupe were the slowest of the bunch, but the sounds they made were almost the best. The Lambo was perhaps the most intoxicating. It made an INCREDIBLE sound when driving hard - I got pulled over by the police for "exhibition" just because of the sound of the car.

Just these two attributes - the sounds and the smells - made for a driving experience beyond what you get in a normal car. There were other issues as well, touched on in this thread, and not. The stereo in the Aston Martin, for example, WAS INCREDIBLE. It had a subwoofer underneath or behind the driver's seat, so that you felt the base course through your body. It was glorious - windows down, music blasting, engine exhaust blasting, driving hard through the canyons at 7:00 am on a weekend morning.

People who have never owned an exotic just don't get it, or don't want to get it. They focus on high cost of maintenance, temperemental nature, etc., etc. Those of you who do understand, know what I am talking about.

Another Example: When I owned these "exotics", I was always looking for "excuses" to drive - sure, babe, I'll take a run to the store to get you eggs and milk, or whatever. I can't same the same for either my SL or Nismo or any other car I've ever owned. Yes, they are fun to drive, but they can't make you feel like an exotic makes you feel. Hands down. Enough said!

I've been wanting to post to this thread for several days now, ever since I got a message on my Blackberry seeing the posts, but I've been too busy. I'm glad I got this post out of my system. My wife doesn't get it. My kids don't get it. But I've been without an exotic for 8 months now, and I miss it, miss it, miss it. Glad I can share with people who understand.

On the bright side, my debt-reduction plan continues apace, and I'm putting money in my "car fund" every month (as well as money in a "house fund" so my wife doesn't think I'm jipping her out of money at the expense of my car hobby), and so will be able to jump back in next year. I really can't wait for that! In the meantime, I got a hotel room for this weekend in downtown L.A. so I can really take my time at the L.A. Auto Show. This weekend is going to be some time for just me and my car buddies to take it all in.

Mike

Current:
'12 GTS, Grigio with Black Gloss Rims and Crimson Calipers
'07 350Z Nismo, Pearl Black/Grey Gloss Rims/Gold Calipers
Former:
'12 991 S PDK, White
"07 SL 55 AMG, Pearl White
'08 GranTurismo, Light Blue Metallic
'07 V8 Vantage, Yellow
'06 Coupe, Black
Old 11-24-2010, 12:37 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,808

Mike
I have touched on this before....
as a group we tend to come here to resolve issues

Nothing wrong with that

BUT,
it tends to overlook the passion and affection we all share for our cars

Somehow, we should have a congratulatory thread.... what an idea

Maybe some day

WW
Old 11-25-2010, 05:11 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRossi View Post
People who have never owned an exotic just don't get it, or don't want to get it. They focus on high cost of maintenance, temperemental nature, etc., etc. Those of you who do understand, know what I am talking about.
Mike
Mike..I think this is a very accurate statement, especially for those of us considering a first "exotic". I suspect that for many exotic owners... especially owners fortunate enough to buy "brand new"... the expense related to the "high cost of maintenance and temperamental nature" is of little consequence. OTOH, there are perhaps potential owners like myself who can manage the ~$85k for a low mileage, lightly used 2 year old Maserati GT...but scratch our heads a little (and need to do the math) when considering the ongoing costs of owning such a vehicle. It all comes down to if "you want to play, you need to pay". However, some of the build quality issues and after purchase costs discussed on this site can likely seem a bit daunting to those yet to own their first exotic.

That said, whenever I see the 2-3 GT's running around here in SD, my heart rate quickens. The GT and the Vantage are the only exotics on my short list. The other vehicles are more common...Carrera S, Jaguar XKR, M3, BMW650. The 2010 XKR is really growing on me...not many around, and Tata seems to have improved build quality.

Great discussion...and I really value the feedback from members who have owned the GT as well as other vehicles on my wish list.

David
Old 11-25-2010, 05:33 AM
InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 2,881

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRossi View Post
When I owned these "exotics", I was always looking for "excuses" to drive - sure, babe, I'll take a run to the store to get you eggs and milk, or whatever.
So it's not just me?
Old 12-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 9
Default two different cars

I have owed a 928, 911 cab, 911 targa, 911 turbo, and now a GTS 4.7 L with F1 paddles. My everyday car is a 750li. I am a porsche guy obiviously, and I think I can give you some insight. These are two different cars. The Gt is a sporty touring car with incredible finish and style. The 911 is a raw sports beast, especially the turbo. The 911 is without question a car that is still unmatched in todays market. The Gt is a everyday Ferrari that will get you there in style and comfort. So it really depends on what you are looking for , the problem is sometimes you dont know until you experience it for yourself to make the decision. I know that first hand. BY the way, the gt will turn more heads and command more respect!
Old 12-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fapdds View Post
I have owed a 928, 911 cab, 911 targa, 911 turbo, and now a GTS 4.7 L with F1 paddles. My everyday car is a 750li. I am a porsche guy obiviously, and I think I can give you some insight. These are two different cars. The Gt is a sporty touring car with incredible finish and style. The 911 is a raw sports beast, especially the turbo. The 911 is without question a car that is still unmatched in todays market. The Gt is a everyday Ferrari that will get you there in style and comfort. So it really depends on what you are looking for , the problem is sometimes you dont know until you experience it for yourself to make the decision. I know that first hand. BY the way, the gt will turn more heads and command more respect!
Having had 3 porsches, 993 targa, 993 cab and 997 F77, What you are saying is extremely acurate, Given my personal needs for a back seat and Cab, the GTC make my short list very very short. The Porsches are all over the place down here and most people cannot tell the difference between a GT2, 3 or even a Cayman. The head turning factor with the Maserati is Huge, however moreover the combination of Luxory, Style and Class combined with a throaty burble pulling into my neiborhood is worth to me the price of admission. Each time i come into my neighborhood, i must confess, i go to Paddles, put on the sport mode and cruise in at 3-4000 rpm in 2nd, O my, could not play like that with my P cars. If one was going to track the car, the Porsche can stand toe to toe with any car in the world, however for going out to dinner with friends, The Maserati holds a special place along with Bentleys & Rolls. The QP blows away the look of my Mercedes which are also like your Beamer, very comonplace and aside from the logo have non distinctive styling. The Maserati IMHO along with Ferrari, Astons, Veyrons,8C, and Lambos are works of Art. It took me a while to get over the go-cart feel of the Porsche, but as i learn more and more of the Maserati although a heavy car , can be thrown around. I also was scared about the upkeep on the car, as it is my first exotic, however Michael Adler said to send him the bills and he would pay for them because i was a member of Maserati Life.

SLK-350 Tricked out 2013
E-350 MY 012

911 997 Cab Bye Bye
911 993 Cab Gone
911 993 Targa Long Gone
Old 12-05-2010, 04:29 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 4,513

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalpar1 View Post
Having had 3 porsches, 993 targa, 993 cab and 997 F77, What you are saying is extremely acurate, Given my personal needs for a back seat and Cab, the GTC make my short list very very short. The Porsches are all over the place down here and most people cannot tell the difference between a GT2, 3 or even a Cayman. The head turning factor with the Maserati is Huge, however moreover the combination of Luxory, Style and Class combined with a throaty burble pulling into my neiborhood is worth to me the price of admission. Each time i come into my neighborhood, i must confess, i go to Paddles, put on the sport mode and cruise in at 3-4000 rpm in 2nd, O my, could not play like that with my P cars. If one was going to track the car, the Porsche can stand toe to toe with any car in the world, however for going out to dinner with friends, The Maserati holds a special place along with Bentleys & Rolls. The QP blows away the look of my Mercedes which are also like your Beamer, very comonplace and aside from the logo have non distinctive styling. The Maserati IMHO along with Ferrari, Astons, Veyrons,8C, and Lambos are works of Art. It took me a while to get over the go-cart feel of the Porsche, but as i learn more and more of the Maserati although a heavy car , can be thrown around. I also was scared about the upkeep on the car, as it is my first exotic, however Michael Adler said to send him the bills and he would pay for them because i was a member of Maserati Life.
No problemo Mitchell-I am all heart as you know! On reflection if you had ordered your car in LEMON I might have just paid the bills!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:45 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 111

I just read this.. thinking of swapping a 2005 997-911 cab for a 2009 GT-S F1.. if I can get a good deal? the specs have the GT 4.7 beating my 911 in the 0-60. Also, looking at the 4.7 in the slalom test on youtube, it only lost out to the 911S by less than a few hundredths of a sec. So, for me, after test driving the 4.7 with F1 shift, I feel I can get the best of both worlds. Since I dont have an 911S or 911Turbo, there isnt that comparison to worry about.

Wonder how this all turned out for the guy that traded his Porsche? Still feel the same?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFZ View Post
I just read this.. thinking of swapping a 2005 997-911 cab for a 2009 GT-S F1.. if I can get a good deal? the specs have the GT 4.7 beating my 911 in the 0-60. Also, looking at the 4.7 in the slalom test on youtube, it only lost out to the 911S by less than a few hundredths of a sec. So, for me, after test driving the 4.7 with F1 shift, I feel I can get the best of both worlds. Since I dont have an 911S or 911Turbo, there isnt that comparison to worry about.

Wonder how this all turned out for the guy that traded his Porsche? Still feel the same?
The way i explain it is, snap your fingers........ That is the difference on the speed. So what ? As Mr. Adler always says " a Maserati is like silk Pajamas" . Porsches are a dime a dozen. I now have my second Maserati, and have never looked back to Porsche.

SLK-350 Tricked out 2013
E-350 MY 012

911 997 Cab Bye Bye
911 993 Cab Gone
911 993 Targa Long Gone
Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 148

I have a 05 911 TURBO S one of the fastest and rarest of the 996 cars.
The car is AMAZING.......... however the bug has hit me to come back to a Maser.
I had a bianco fuji 06 gransport coupe for a year and loved it. The only issue is depreciation with the maserati brand. I owned my car for 13 months and lost 18k while only driving it 3,000 miles. My 05 TURBO S cabriolet will still bring 72-75k and I'm thinking about a dealer trade for GT-S

MERCEDES E55 BRABUS MODDED
MERCEDES SL600 (WIFE CAR)
HUMMER H2 SUPERCHARGED
2006 GRANSPORT BIANCO FUJI (SOLD)
2007 LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO SPIDER
2005 PORSCHE 911 TURBO S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.