Perception of the person who drives a maserati - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 Old 08-26-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Perception of the person who drives a maserati

Short question. How do most people percieve a Maserati owner? I for the most part get pretty good looks and gestures but every once and a while I will get the "give dads car back" remarks. I'm 23 and lucky enough to be able to own a granturismo but im curious to know what people I meet for the first time are thinking when they see my car or find out what kind of car I drive. Your thoughts?

Maserati GranTurismo S MC SportLine Bianco over Nero
Lamborghini Gallardo Gated Spyder Arancio Borealis
Ferrari F430 F1 Rosso over Nero (sold)
Maserati GranTurismo Nero Carbonio over Cuoio (sold)
Maserati GranTurismo Bianco over Rosso (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 08-26-2009, 06:46 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 5,887
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigiti View Post
Short question. How do most people percieve a Maserati owner? I for the most part get pretty good looks and gestures but every once and a while I will get the "give dads car back" remarks. I'm 23 and lucky enough to be able to own a granturismo but im curious to know what people I meet for the first time are thinking when they see my car or find out what kind of car I drive. Your thoughts?
People most likely think the same thing about any young person that drives any $75K+ car of any brand. Initial reactions probably are centered around thoughts of the car belonging to dad, the money coming from dad, or the money coming from a bank in the form of some sort of loan. All are unfair generalizations. People never think the money could come from mom, the lottery, or just hard work. Although it's hard to believe since we are all "car guys" but, most people never think twice. To the majority of people, an expensive car is just another expensive car. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now as for Maserati owners of all ages, I think people that notice see a Maserati and think, "there is a guy/girl that has money and taste, can't afford or doesn't want a hardcore sports car like Ferrari/Lamborghini, and has more imagination than the guy that runs out to buy a Corvette or Porsche". I suspect Aston Martin owners get a very similar reaction.

https://www.instagram.com/revtravis/

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
post #3 of 65 Old 08-26-2009, 07:46 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 225
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mostly admiration and envy.

Maseratis are so rare and beautiful that I've only gotten thumbs up, cellphone camera's clicking, and waves. I don't think the typical person has any idea they cost less than a Ferrari/Lambo. They just see a stunningly gorgeous car with a name they probably recognize and go, ahhhhhh.... Maserati.

My boss and I were talking cars one day and Aston Martins came up. He said, "No, my dream car is a Maserati." I didn't have the heart to tell him I had one.

2003 Coupe CC, Nero Pastello/Avorio; Larini exhaust, FD DBW, springs, sport air filter, iPod adaptor. SOLD
2008 Jaguar XKR, Midnight Blue/Ivory
2009 BMW X3, Sage Green/Beige
2002 BMW 330Ci Convertible, Blue/Tan SOLD
1967 Volkswagen Beetle, Red/Black
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi; Blue, Tan

post #4 of 65 Old 08-26-2009, 08:08 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 4,580
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Fellahs I am very lucky to have once owned a DB9 and now I have a stunning new Gran Turismo. So my point is in my opinion as an owner of both, the DB9 which stickers for $57,000 more than the Maserati is a better car! It is faster, it is BETTER BUILT quality wise and the sound of the V12 (uncorked) is orgasmic. You get what you pay for!

Having said that I absolutely love my GT too, it is drop dead gorgeous, great sound, reasonably fast and has 4 useable seats. But if I had $187,000 to spend I would buy another Aston, especially the 2009 version with a 0-60 of 4.6 seconds, all the toys and bells and whistles and drop dead stunning!
post #5 of 65 Old 08-26-2009, 08:14 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 372
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i think maseratis are ingrained in the american consciousness more than other exotics. maybe its because of the maserati history at the indy 500 or the way the name rolls of the tongue or ... like in the movie "wall street" when michael douglas says "it's like my mother in law going over a cliff in my new maserati". why masearti? i don't think it was a product placement. i also think that most people think the car cost way more than it does.

i think the original poster's issue has to do more with his age rather than his car being a maserati. if your a young guy with a cool car; enjoy it and don't be concerned what other people think. you wouldn't want to be driving a kia would you?

gtlex
2008 granturismo, bordeaux, beige, birdcage wheels
post #6 of 65 Old 08-26-2009, 08:17 PM

Yes but the Aston Martin name is far better known because of the James Bond movies. I get lots of looks and stares and then folk ask me what it is and I tell them and half of them have never heard of Maserati!
post #7 of 65 Old 08-26-2009, 08:48 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 455
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good thread! For me, when I first saw a Maserati I had to have one. Could have had anything, basically, but the maserati said something different to me. When I see others driving them I think class and style as I do with Astons, just more so with Masers. I don't get the same from Lambo and ferrari. With those I think money, flash and speed. Interesting what would be said if gigiti were driving a ferrari/lambo. Likely a much different response?
post #8 of 65 Old 08-26-2009, 10:46 PM

I still think the Ferarri name is still numero uno and is synonymous with fast, expensive cars and it is mainly due to their tremendous success in F1 and sports car racing!

Neither Aston nor Maserati comes close............
post #9 of 65 Old 08-26-2009, 11:45 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigiti View Post
You have answered your own question.

Had a Ferrari at 26. Same thing.

These days, funny how people see me in my leather moto jacket, sunglasses, and long hair at the cafe and step aside and avoid eye contact - until they see me walk to my car. Then they get curious and pay extra attention. People make assumptions. Didn't care a hoot @ 26 and don't now.

Last edited by Napoli; 08-27-2009 at 12:07 AM.
post #10 of 65 Old 08-26-2009, 11:59 PM

The only problem I have with a 23 year old owning a new GT is what do they have to look forward to when they are 40 or 50 years old!
post #11 of 65 Old 08-27-2009, 12:41 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeladler View Post
The only problem I have with a 23 year old owning a new GT is what do they have to look forward to when they are 40 or 50 years old!
lol,...my friends ask me the same thing. Im 25 with a quattroporte and they always say "Awesome car man, we really love it...but when you get older what do you have to look forward too?". I laugh and tell em, hover cars! haha Seriosuly though, the same question gets asked no matter who see the car. They always first assume its daddy's, or that my dad bought it for me. Once I tell them that no, its mine and I worked very hard for it. Then they say,..."oh you're a drug dealer?" "what do you do for a living?" . Never fails, everyone just has to know where the money comes from, dont they.

Refined Elegance
2005 Quattroporte DuoSelect/F-1 Bronzo Montecarlo/Black SOLD
post #12 of 65 Old 08-27-2009, 01:09 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaCinStylez View Post
lol,...my friends ask me the same thing. Im 25 with a quattroporte and they always say "Awesome car man, we really love it...but when you get older what do you have to look forward too?". I laugh and tell em, hover cars! haha Seriosuly though, the same question gets asked no matter who see the car. They always first assume its daddy's, or that my dad bought it for me. Once I tell them that no, its mine and I worked very hard for it. Then they say,..."oh you're a drug dealer?" "what do you do for a living?" . Never fails, everyone just has to know where the money comes from, dont they.
OT thats funny.....because i look at cars alot and more so maserati.....people in the military tell me all the time you can't afford that on our pay and i just tell them OK. I often..very often get the same comments above when i got my first NEW BENZ at 23 along with dirty looks......can't wait to see how people look at me when i get my house and maserati that the military is paying for Priceless lol

2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance Pkg (25k in damage and counting) :-(
2005 CLK500 (paid in full)
2005 GSX-R1000 (paid in full)
2006 Maserati Coupe Vintage Pgk (Larini X-Pipe..Eboltron Aux Adapter)(Traded in)
post #13 of 65 Old 08-27-2009, 02:00 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 402
This depends SO much on the person making the comment, their background and their knowledge of cars. Ive heard it all while in my mas, and the same in my lambo. Most people have a lot of respect, and few others make stupid, jealous comments. I do get some of the "drug dealer" references myself as a younger owner, but there will always be those types of people, so I dont let it get to me
post #14 of 65 Old 08-27-2009, 02:00 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeladler View Post
MC12????
post #15 of 65 Old 08-27-2009, 04:27 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 63
U guys are young...I am 40 and in over 20 yrs of car ownership I never imagine I will buy a Maser till the GT came about.

I guess people's impression of Maser owner is
- rich but not rich enough for Ferrari or Lambo.
- car enthusiast who like to be different so he stays away from Porsche

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode