CEL with very high oil level - Page 2 - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 Old 12-23-2016, 09:05 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 288
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I have no idea as I can`t see the car.. You`ll need to check the secondary air injection components.. If you are unsure what those are I recommend you take it to a shop....Jason

ASE Master Tech. 28 years experience
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 Old 12-24-2016, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
No thanks, I'm always negatively amazed with the "professional touch" provided by "a shop", such as changing the oil without removing the heat shield and getting oil all over it, which smokes like an old Jaguar when the manifolds heat up.

I've found other threads which explain things about this fault. No worries...
post #18 of 19 Old 12-26-2016, 10:01 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 288
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Sorry, there is too many components etc. to walk you through the whole thing...I just tried to point you in the right direction....J

ASE Master Tech. 28 years experience
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.

post #19 of 19 Old 12-27-2016, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
OK, so anyway, I finally got around to removing some oil. I was hoping to drop a tygon tube into the tank and siphon it out, but too many baffles, or too big a tube maybe, so I jacked her up, took 3 of the 4 screws off and swung the nice and clean heat shield out of the way, and drained about 1.5 quarts from the engine drain plug.
I thought sure as heck that I would need to pour some back in to hit the max line, but no. After heating it up nice and hot and checking while idling, the level is now at about the A of the word MAX, which is about 1/4" (6mm) higher than the line. I checked several times,and it's pretty consistent. Close enough.
Evidently, it was pretty much 2 quarts too much.
There is a smell of gas in the oil, but it's not reeking of it. I put the extra oil in a 1/2 gallon (milk) container, and if you put your nose to the lid, you can take a good whiff of it without passing out or getting high or anything. When you do, you just say to yourself, yep, a little gas smell in there... not much... it's probably because of the short drives that this car does. It hasn't gone more than 15 miles at a time for quite a while. Maybe I'll do my 70-mile round trip work commute with it for a while.
So, if there's 2 quarts of gas that made the oil level 2 quarts too high, I really doubt it.

I also cleared the fault and looked around for vacuum line leaks. I didn't see any, and the fault has not come back... yet...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode