LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 Old 01-06-2017, 01:00 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedugger1 View Post
What's the story on that last pic? Did it go wrong or is that just interim?
It was proof of concept to see if the logos would come off. I never went any further with that piece since it's a spare.

Joel

Moderator for QP M139 Facebook page

1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, 398 AWHP, 1 of 183, Gobs of power and performance, Space for 2

2016 Honda Pilot, Tons of space, seating for 8

2002 Yamaha R1, Lots of power and performance, no space

2007 Maserati Quattroporte Automatica. 1 of 141 in the USA in Bordeaux. Lots of style, space AND power!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 Old 06-02-2017, 06:03 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 6
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
sticky dashboard

Developed a sticky dashboard, have tried goo gone doesnt work, if i have to change the fitting where to buy them
post #18 of 29 Old 06-02-2017, 06:07 PM

There are so many types of turtle wax bug and tar removers what did you use

post #19 of 29 Old 06-03-2017, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 120
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdul1 View Post
There are so many types of turtle wax bug and tar removers what did you use
The one in the green bottle. https://www.turtlewax.com/our-produc...ug-tar-remover
post #20 of 29 Old 06-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Maserati Life Posts: 4,178
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Lorenz-06MT
Even though there are products to remove the sticky stuff, depending on the amount of degrade, you will end up with a bare plastic that doesnt look very good. I have seen some bare plastic look horrible.....Be carefull
post #21 of 29 Old 06-04-2017, 06:36 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 186
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
We've got a fix. Just posted it on amazon. Hopefully break even and help the italian and british car community out. (not profiting from sales, but from the entire market value of cars appreciating without the horrid GOO!)

https://www.amazon.com/Morse-Industr...utton+maserati

100% works, zero BS

or pm me. I want the dealers to get it so the cars don't have to sell for so cheap that have it and inevitably get it affecting all our personal cars resale values

Instagram.com/GunsCarsBikesCigars
~ Granturismo S
~ V12 Vanquish
~ Hummer H1
~ Slot Available.. New diesel Truck? Vintage Supercar? etc..?
post #22 of 29 Old 06-04-2017, 10:33 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 79
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
In order to understand the remove, one must understand the coatings used.

The coatings we are talking about are called "Soft Touch" coatings. These are designed to give a soft, velvet like feel. They are low gloss in sheen to help reduce glare in the car. These coatings can also be found on computer mice, TV / Stereo remote controls, etc.

While these coatings are typically black in appearance, the coatings themselves are not always black. The OEM's (note, Ferrari does not make these parts, they are made by sub-contractors) use both black soft touch and clear soft touch.

Black Soft Touch: This is typically used over parts such as bezels, steering column surrounds, shifter trim, etc. When this fails, you get the black mess all over your fingers.

Clear Soft Touch: This is typically used over parts with illuminated graphics. The parts are first painted with a white, then a mid-gloss black, the graphics are laser etched and then the clear soft touch is applied to lower the sheen (considerably) and add the velvet feel.

In some cases (such as the headlight controls and mirror controls of a 599) the soft touch is black in color and the graphics are laser etched right though the black soft touch.

Graphics: The OEM's used 2 types of graphics: Silk screen (or pad printing) and laser etching. In most cases (but not all) silk screen was used for non-illuminated graphics while laser etching was used for all illuminated graphics. However, some of the seat controls of a 599 that don't illuminate were still laser etched.

Removing the sticky soft touch: While I'm not going to give away all of our secrets here, if you have sticky parts and it's becoming a burden, you can use rubbing alcohol to remove the coating. Please do this with caution. Silk screen graphics will be gone once you do this and depending on what % of alcohol you use, the base paint may come off also.

Please note, for parts like HVAC panels, window switches with graphics (that have a clear soft touch), it is possible to clean the clear soft touch off without damaging the base black below. Note, while this looks decent, the resulting finish will be a much higher gloss.

In summary, you may get lucky cleaning clear soft touch coatings with alcohol or other products but you will be left with a too glossy part.

The only way to do this correct, if full refinishing. Attached are some photos of my car parts I refinished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GranTurismo.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	96857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maserati Granturismo Sideview Mirror Control  and Surround 02.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	96865  

- 2008 MGT Nero / Cuoio
- 1998 355 F1 GTS Nero / Beige
- 1995 F355 Berlinetta Rosso Corsa / Beige
- 1995 F355 Berlinetta Rosso Corsa / Nero
post #23 of 29 Old 06-05-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungConnoisseur View Post
We've got a fix. Just posted it on amazon. Hopefully break even and help the italian and british car community out. (not profiting from sales, but from the entire market value of cars appreciating without the horrid GOO!)

https://www.amazon.com/Morse-Industr...utton+maserati

100% works, zero BS

or pm me. I want the dealers to get it so the cars don't have to sell for so cheap that have it and inevitably get it affecting all our personal cars resale values
Do you have any videos of it doing its thing? I moderate the M139 FB page and people ask about it all the time. I'd love to be able to promote a product that works!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Joel

1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, 398 AWHP, 1 of 183, Gobs of power and performance, Space for 2

2007 Maserati Quattroporte Automatica. 1 of 141 in the USA in Bordeaux. Lots of style, space AND power!
post #24 of 29 Old 06-05-2017, 10:20 PM

Your work looks great but I've never come across your company before. Do you have a site/pricelist? Same reason as above, I'd love to be able to refer someone who does a proper job. I only know of 2 other places, one does not turn out oem quality work and the other charges oem level pricing lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rocks View Post
In order to understand the remove, one must understand the coatings used.

The coatings we are talking about are called "Soft Touch" coatings. These are designed to give a soft, velvet like feel. They are low gloss in sheen to help reduce glare in the car. These coatings can also be found on computer mice, TV / Stereo remote controls, etc.

While these coatings are typically black in appearance, the coatings themselves are not always black. The OEM's (note, Ferrari does not make these parts, they are made by sub-contractors) use both black soft touch and clear soft touch.

Black Soft Touch: This is typically used over parts such as bezels, steering column surrounds, shifter trim, etc. When this fails, you get the black mess all over your fingers.

Clear Soft Touch: This is typically used over parts with illuminated graphics. The parts are first painted with a white, then a mid-gloss black, the graphics are laser etched and then the clear soft touch is applied to lower the sheen (considerably) and add the velvet feel.

In some cases (such as the headlight controls and mirror controls of a 599) the soft touch is black in color and the graphics are laser etched right though the black soft touch.

Graphics: The OEM's used 2 types of graphics: Silk screen (or pad printing) and laser etching. In most cases (but not all) silk screen was used for non-illuminated graphics while laser etching was used for all illuminated graphics. However, some of the seat controls of a 599 that don't illuminate were still laser etched.

Removing the sticky soft touch: While I'm not going to give away all of our secrets here, if you have sticky parts and it's becoming a burden, you can use rubbing alcohol to remove the coating. Please do this with caution. Silk screen graphics will be gone once you do this and depending on what % of alcohol you use, the base paint may come off also.

Please note, for parts like HVAC panels, window switches with graphics (that have a clear soft touch), it is possible to clean the clear soft top off without damaging the base black below. Note, while this looks decent, the resulting finish will be a much higher gloss.

In summary, you may get lucky cleaning clear soft touch coatings with alcohol or other products but you will be left with a too glossy part.

The only way to do this correct, if full refinishing. Attached are some photos of my car parts I refinished.

Joel

post #25 of 29 Old 06-05-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINTRBO View Post
I only know of 2 other places, one does not turn out oem quality work and the other charges oem level pricing lol
Well, quality work costs to be done

What companies are you referring to?

- 2008 MGT Nero / Cuoio
post #26 of 29 Old 06-06-2017, 03:36 AM

Does anyobe know how to remove the front vent where the clock is on the maserati GT
post #27 of 29 Old 06-06-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdul1 View Post
Does anyobe know how to remove the front vent where the clock is on the maserati GT
On the QP they just pull right out, I believe the GT is the same.

Edit: this is incorrect

Joel

post #28 of 29 Old 06-06-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINTRBO View Post
On the QP they just pull right out, I believe the GT is the same.

No, the dash diving trim must come off and fasteners will then be exposed.

- 2008 MGT Nero / Cuoio
post #29 of 29 Old 06-06-2017, 04:19 PM

Whoops, I stand corrected

Joel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode