Possible purchase - Opinions on this GranSport? - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-18-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Possible purchase - Opinions on this GranSport?

Seeking opinions on this 2006 GranSport before pulling the trigger:

-Clean original paint but has decals on the hood and trunk that need to be removed
-Blacked out factory wheels
-Straight pipes installed from rear pipes, original exhaust not included
-Clean interior
-No history but clutch and major service just done
-Low 33,000 miles
-Appears to be a 3/4 owner vehicle, lived life in Cali. Clean CarFax.
-Mechanic doing the PPI Monday said it seems like a solid car, will post details/results when completed.

Because of the non-standard bits, the car is offered to me at $19,900. My plan would be to revert it to stock, probably add a Tubi. Normally I would have passed but at this price it seems well under market value and a new clutch is a mega bonus. Sorry no pics yet.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-18-2017, 09:21 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 139
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't know what you consider to be market value, but I think you can even do better than that price.
I would try to talk them down another $2000. Then they'll probably settle for $1000 off. It's hard to find a willing buyer for these cars. Most people don't even know what they are. They won't pass up on a buyer for a thousand dollars, if they're motivated to sell. There is no clearly defined "market value" for these cars, only what someone is willing to pay. There were only thousands of them made, and only a few used ones for sale at a time, compared with hundreds of thousands of other makes of cars. And, the condition can vary a lot.

33k miles is below average mileage, perhaps, but it's not that low. I found my 2002 Coupe at 20k miles and I just bought a 2006 Quattroporte in near perfect condition with only 14k miles. The deals are out there. Nothing depreciates more than exotic cars. You'll find out if you ever try to sell one.

The clutch being done is a huge bonus, you're right. I did have to do the clutch on the Coupe and it cost close to $6k.
However, I'm installing the Formula Dynamics Drive By Wire enhancement module which is supposed to save tremendously on clutch life. I'm also considering their ECU upgrade at the same time.

Even so, when I buy a used car I assume it to be in good running condition. If they had to spend a lot to repair things in order to sell it, that's on them. They can't expect to recover that by selling it. Whenever I've sold a used car, I had to do the same thing. It's very rare to sell a used car without taking a loss. "No history" doesn't sound good. Get as many service records as you can from them.

I found used secondary cat bypass Larini pipes from someone on this forum, and will install them in the Coupe, when they get here. Later, when Fabspeed is done fabricating them this summer, I will install their version of the cat bypass, along with their X-pipe.

Then, if you are interested, I can pass on the Larini secondary de-cats to you. You can read all over this forum how unnecessary they are, and very restrictive of the exhaust flow. Anything after the primary cats is fair game for modification.

I also have an extra set of stock mufflers for the Coupe/Spyder/GranSport. I found a good deal on eBay, and have kept them just in case I or someone else ever needed them.

Decals are easy to remove. Grow a long fingernail, and try Goo Gone on the residue, nothing harsh.

Personally, I hate blacked out wheels. It's often done just to hide wheel abrasions, and it just looks ugly, to me. One option is to get super light aluminum wheels, such as sold by Forumula Dynamics. I still have my stock wheels on both cars, but the next time they need new tires, I'm considering lighter wheels.

The best advice I can give is don't fall in love with the car, just because it's a Maserati and it's available. Try to see it for what it is. In the end, it's just a car. Consider every factor when evaluating.

I was seriously considering another 2002 Coupe I saw on craigslist that had 64k miles that I thought I could pick up cheap. I'm glad I waited, because just last week I found the 2006 Quattropro that was immaculate, with 14k miles and I bought from a private seller for $25k. He had done at least $7k on performance enhancements and a reconditioned paint job, and recent complete service with all the fluids changed. It looks like a brand new car. It needs absolutely nothing.

And, depending on your budget, don't overlook what's traded in to a Maserati dealership. They're very motivated to sell!

Good luck if you decide to pull the trigger. Anything can go wrong with a used car, and usually does.

" I have a fear of speed bumps. But, I'm slowly getting over it. "
post #3 of 3 Old 05-18-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for that hugely informative post! PM sent on the parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode