Farewell...A Great Ride - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 05-17-2017, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Farewell...A Great Ride

After 133,451 miles, I am saying so long to my faithful friend. I recently bought a Quattroporte GTS to replace my beloved Spyder GT and thought I would give a few thoughts for posterity sake. I daily drove my car 500-600 miles per week for several years now. Before that, it was lightly used. The car never once left me stranded on the side of the road with the exception of 3 blowouts, which could (and will) happen to any car with that type of mileage.

The Spyder began life as part of a very small collection I was assembling. It was garaged and pampered. But life gave a surprise turn, and we were able to relocate to the Florida Keys and realize a shared dream for my wife and myself. This necessitated selling off most of the cars, except the Spyder. It was pressed into yeoman's duty. For the next 4 years and 80,000 miles, it lived outside, suffered uncountable rock chips and other assorted slings and arrows. Some of you will be aghast at the treatment. But in a way, it was a noble way for the car to show it's true composition...tough as nails!

Yes, I had every single one of the common maladies that the sticky post at the beginning section of this forum points out. The fuel pumps (plural) suffered the plastic cap failures, gas fumes aromatically filled the car, and both had to be replaced. The oil pressure sending unit died and had to be repaired. My heater core never failed but prudence suggested I should bypass the core and allow my electronics to be spared the inevitable rinse, wash, repeat cycle. My top failed several times and was fixed with most of the suggestions on this site, until it didn't. I had one of the million or so sensors or micro switches or flux capacitor failures and was never able to guess which one died. So I have a faux convertible. Kinda like the 2000's version of a landau top from Chrysler. The plastic piece around the center console shattered into a zillion pieces that even Lorenz wouldn't be able to piece together again (although I have every reason to believe he COULD succeed with Humpty Dumpty). All my buttons turned to goo due to my Florida heat. I took a picture of them before I lost all recognition so I would remember where everything was. The alarm went all Linda Blair on me and would just randomly go off so I began to lock the car manually with the key like my Dad's '63 Biscayne (and yes, it actually works. Quaint!). The radio tried to match that by going black and white diagonal lines and coming on in the middle of the night with the key off. I expected Rod Serling to appear next, so I pulled the fuse. Universally agreed that the radio is the worst part of the car so it was a merciful death. Both window regulators failed with the traditional loud 'bang' and were repaired. The headlight covers became cloudy and no amount of polishing could fix the interior crazing. I lost one of the headlight washers early on in my ownership (repaired) and learned to not wash my windows at night with the headlights on! Because of my top sensor/switch failure, the computer thinks the top is operating continually so I can't engage the emergency brake with the ignition on or else it will roll the windows down LOL. The driver's door auto dip feature croaked just recently and I have to leave the window slightly cracked. And yes, my car does the traditional Modena puff of blue smoke on startup once every 12.5 times.

First time 4200 owners may read this post one day and run, not walk, away from our car. But this is the opposite of what I would want to convey. The common perception of older Italian cars is that they are fragile things, best used on sunny days and to adorn one's garage. And for a season, my Spyder did just that. But when pressed into service of a hard core daily driver, my version of an italian honda accord, it excelled. If we do a dog year conversion, 133K in Italian miles is at least a 3X factor in a Japanese car. My engine and transmission still run great. I use no oil between services. The paint quality and shine still look ridiculously good. The cruise control, turn signals, headlights and wipers never hiccupped. My A/C compressor just now died and is being repaired at 133K miles. That is 50K better than my daughter's CRV which just had an identical failure. I am still on my original clutch and it doesn't slip a bit. All gauges work as purposed. Every switch and button still do their job. Brakes, steering and skyhook all still function. So I can speak from GREAT experience, perhaps more than most, as to how durable and reliable the 4200 is. Even when subjected to harsh conditions, it just keeps going.

And oh how it runs. I have a modified exhaust and my Spyder sounds better than 90% of the exotics out there. The car still feels great to drive and, believe it or not, still get compliments at the gas station. I followed the factory service intervals, used quality fluids and it just ran...and ran...and ran. I have no doubt the next owner will pamper it a bit more. No doubt that it will see 150K and more. No doubt that one day I will read a future post on this site of my old car, now turning 20 years, and still going. I will smile. It has been a great ride.

BY the way, I will post it for sale in the proper section for a sub 10K price. I am thinking about titling it "rolling, daily driven parts car" in order to discourage a 19 year old from buying a "cheap Maserati" and have visions of restoring it. My old friend is a bit too far gone for restoration. He is more suitable for a nice senior community with organized activities and bingo on Wednesday night.

Ciao!

Lynn

2004 Maserati Spyder GT
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-17-2017, 02:20 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 29
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Well written and encouraging for other high mileage Maserati owners ! I am currently at 74,000 miles on my 2006 GranSport and I hope to make it to 100,000 miles with no major problems.
post #3 of 32 Old 05-17-2017, 06:47 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 2,163
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Well done, sir. Sums it up nicely.

FWIW my old 4200 is knocking on 90k with no major issues. My GT much the same (touches wood)

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
4.2 GT Automatic, 147 TS, Sprint 1.7

post #4 of 32 Old 05-17-2017, 11:48 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Maserati Life Posts: 4,168
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Lorenz-06MT
Great write up. Im sure your sad to see her go
post #5 of 32 Old 05-17-2017, 04:54 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 188
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Hey powderkeys, you are an inspiration in several ways. Thank you for sharing that!

2002 4200 6sp
1984 Biturbo / Sold
post #6 of 32 Old 05-17-2017, 08:12 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 395
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
OK so it looks like to avoid all these issues the ideal setup would be:
Manual top - lightweight and simple.
Crank up windows- lightweight and simple.
Metal cap replacement for the fuel pump.
Stereo that just contains amplifier and blue tooth phone connection- no screens, DVDs, NITs, Navs or any of that nonsense. Lightweight and simple.
Modified exhaust without resonators and secondary cats.
That would be ideal Spyder for me.
I think that should shed few hundred pounds of the car as well
Would that make you keep yours? ;-)
post #7 of 32 Old 05-17-2017, 09:17 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 27
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
nicely written. my 02 Coupe GT is at 91k miles. I have no worries that it'll continue strong with routine maintenance.

2002 Coupe GT (6MT)
post #8 of 32 Old 05-17-2017, 09:37 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
102k miles on my 2005 GS. Main dealer says it's as good and if not one of the best GS out their. Bulk of miles done in first 5 years. I only do summer miles now and stored in winter. In the UK I think their is a big hang up about the big 100k miles but providing car has been maintained and looked after you will have no more issues than a 30k mile car.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 32 Old 05-17-2017, 10:01 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 44
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Great story. We all hear the motors hold together really well but an original clutch is amazing. You said a 4200 GT so I figure it is a manual. If they had left all the power electrical stuff off these cars they would never break!!!
post #10 of 32 Old 05-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Maserati Life Posts: 4,168
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Lorenz-06MT
I also am assuming he has a manual shift. I know of a couple others that have over 100k miles on their manual shift cars original clutch...Totally awesome
post #11 of 32 Old 05-18-2017, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Hello all. Yes it is a GT with a manual 6 speed. It took a long time before I found one, but I only wanted a manual based on what i had read here. Aston's also used a single clutch set up similar to our cambiocorsa and it was equally bad. My Alfa 4C has a dual clutch and it is so much better than the first generation Maseratis and Astons.
Cheers

Lynn

2004 Maserati Spyder GT
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
post #12 of 32 Old 05-18-2017, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Jacek, well let's see if it sells but right now am enjoying and putting miles on the Q GTS. Completely different animal. Light years ahead in refinement and build quality. Just not as engaging as my 4200 Spyder. You feel a bit detached driving the Q. I don't need the money so if it doesn't sell in a few months I may explore repurposing the Spyder and keeping it.
Thanks

Lynn

2004 Maserati Spyder GT
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
post #13 of 32 Old 05-18-2017, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Masera, you are welcome! I have been blessed to have owned a wide variety of italian, american and british sports cars in my 40+ years of driving. They all had names and were more like my pets than possessions. I am not a high roller and have never danced in the 6 figure leagues. I have been amazed, however, at the incredible variety of exotic stuff you can buy in the 30K to 80K range. It is a good time to be a car guy!!

Lynn

2004 Maserati Spyder GT
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
post #14 of 32 Old 05-18-2017, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Lorenz, thank you for you tireless support of the 4200 cars. You provide a very important service for us all.

Lynn

2004 Maserati Spyder GT
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
post #15 of 32 Old 05-18-2017, 01:28 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 188
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderkeys View Post
Masera, you are welcome! I have been blessed to have owned a wide variety of italian, american and british sports cars in my 40+ years of driving. They all had names and were more like my pets than possessions. I am not a high roller and have never danced in the 6 figure leagues. I have been amazed, however, at the incredible variety of exotic stuff you can buy in the 30K to 80K range. It is a good time to be a car guy!!
My 2002 is Valentina, my 84 was Rosa, my Harley is Angelina, and my F250 Diesel is Isabella!

2002 4200 6sp
1984 Biturbo / Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode