LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-15-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New member former Maserati owner

Hi all:
A long time ago I owned a Bora (AM117120). Had it for 6 or 7 years. Bought and sold a number of interesting cars. Currently I have a '73 Plymouth Cuda with a 528 in3 Hemi and 6 speed Viper transmission and a 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo SE (#189 of 250). My signature more or less tells my car history. I really loved my Bora (except the Citroen Hydraulics). Anyway, I'm looking to get another Maserati and spend no more than $55k. I'm looking for a spyder (spider??). Gated 6 speed would be nice. A lot seems to have changed since my Bora days. Everything is front engine and very subdued colors for the most part. I'm looking for a reliable car and have been trying to sort through the bewildering number of models and variants and am getting lost in the forum threads and reviews. So, $55k max, convertible, 6 speed gated tranny, "skittles" color, reliable (don't want to get stranded somewhere).

Need some advice from the experts on this forum.

Thanks

Steve

06 Lamborghini Gallardo SE Balloon white E-gear
73 Plymouth Cuda 528 cu in Hemi Limelight Green
70 Dodge Challenger 511 cu in Hemi (gone)
32 Ford Highboy Roadster SBC with blower (gone)
84 Van Diemen Formula Atlantic (gone)
83 Lamborghini Countach (gone)
84 Ferrari 308 GTSI QV (gone)
84 Porsche 944S (gone)
79 Corvette L-82 (gone)
72 Maserati Bora (gone)
58 Chevrolet with 409 cu in 425hp (gone)
51 Plymouth Business Coupe G/Gas (drag car gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-16-2017, 04:22 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 268
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I have a 2002 6MT Spyder. The car is complex but it is reliable for a complex car. The engine is reliable but tuned more for daily driving; a mere 390 hp. The weak spot for maintenance seems to be the CC (and there'll be people who say the CC is great). Something to consider though is as time passes there will be less and less test equipment and people who can set the CC properly. The MT requires a hairy arm but it shifts well; it has to synchronise the drive shaft as well as the transmission. They're not gated shifters and they need to be set properly. If you're looking for a 6 MT you're looking for an early 2000's car in the $20k to $30K range but that should leave a lot money in your pocket for maintenance and upgrades. Finding a MT will drive you a bit crazy because everybody calls the CC a manual transmission. This might not be important to you but they are the buy of a lifetime.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 27
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I own a 2002 Coupe GT (6MT)

The main thing to consider is the clutch life with the CC versions (lasting 20-25k miles), though many will argue that they can get more miles from them. My 6MT clutch lasted 91k miles. Just had it replaced a few months ago for $3200 (parts & labor). The car has been fairly reliable in my 1st year of ownership.

If you manage to find a 6MT you'll be looking at the 25-30k price range. CCs are anywhere from 20-30k.

Like Tony H said, your 50k budget will get you the car and ample room for maintenance and desired upgrades.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redMase.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	96249  

2002 Coupe GT (6MT)

post #4 of 5 Old 05-18-2017, 01:16 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 268
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Might as well show off mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0009s.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	96273  
post #5 of 5 Old 05-19-2017, 02:23 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 109
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
It's funny to think that through a 5 year production run they Maserati produced a mere 574 GT spyders and 1078 GT coupes WORLDWIDE.

Looking at just spyders, there was somewhere just north of 250 or so imported into the US (calculated per my own speculation). This means that in a single post on an online forum, >1% of all owners of these cars responded here, with the percentages probably closer to 2 or 3% once you factor in those cars that are no longer in service. Not overly relevant to OP's post - but an interested thought to ponder.

As for the OP's search - I wish you the best of luck! It took me nearly 2 years to find a GT, although my budget was admittedly a bit more limited than yours. As for the gated shifter - that creature does not exist but I would personally pay a pretty penny for an aftermarket kit that allowed for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode