A very interesting 48 hours of GranSport ownership... - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 05-15-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
A very interesting 48 hours of GranSport ownership...

So I bought a GranSport (yay!) on Friday and its been a very interesting experience since...

Coming from NYC I had previously tracked down and checked out a GranSport that I liked at a Maserati (and now also Alfa Romeo) dealership in rural Pennsylvania. After some back-and-forth negotiation I managed to secure a deal at the (not so) princely sum of $20K, with detailed answers from their Maserati techs to my many questions, preventative F1 relay replacement, 70% reported clutch life remaining, and a reassuring 60-day drivetrain warranty.

The car is Grigio Touring with a striking and unusual full-bordeaux leather interior. At first I was apprehensive about so much red, and felt it was less sporty than black leather, but it really is fun and unique and is quickly growing on me. I think it really suits the car's mission as a stylish Italian grand-tourer with ample performance that is more about overall driving experience rather than outright performance. And its quirkiness matches perfectly with everything else about the car. This previous listing does a better job than I can of showing off the flashy interior: 2006 Maserati Gran Sport

Anyway, as luck would have it I had a full-weekend wedding to attend in Pennsylvania and I thought it would be the perfect time to pick up my new wheels. The dealership had graciously agreed to provide me with office space for me to conduct business meetings through the afternoon, and so on Friday morning I left NYC at 5:30AM so I could reach the dealership, process the trade-in of my beloved Jeep (I do already miss the carefree ruggedness of it!), and complete the purchase of my first Italian car all before my first meeting. I wrapped up work in the afternoon, found my first meal of the day, and then headed to the Poconos.

When I arrived at the summer camp the groom, who had initially gotten me into Jeeps, was shocked to see me show up in a Maserati. The bride's father was a former Formula Vee race car driver and took an immediate interest in it! Both the bride and groom are former colleagues of mine.

Shortly after I went to the bus station to pick up my girlfriend, who was coming straight from work. Waiting in the parking lot was actually the first time I could really familiarize myself with the controls, dash, and seating/steering positions. It was also the first time I found that out, at least in rural Pennsylvania, the GranSport is enough for couples to walk over and complement you on your car un-prompted. I'm not sure I can remember ever having that happen with the Harley, but maybe leathers + Screaming Eagle pipes + helmet covered in stickers is a little intimidating?

Back at the camp, after a glorious bonfire we settled in for a pretty frigid night (low 40's), in uninsulated cabins with no heating, barely warm water, and minimal bedding. Clearly the camp was not accustomed to hosting weddings, and it was unseasonably cold for the start of their operating season. With my girlfriend I got by fine, but others didn't. One guy in our cabin got up and went for a drive in his 3-series at 5AM because he couldn't stand the cold anymore.

Saturday, the main activity and reception day, was much worse. Temperatures stayed in the low 40's and the rain came down in sheets relentlessly from sun-up to sun-down, and all buildings including the dining hall and activities hall were cavernous, drafty, and unheated. I was looking forward to the afternoon, when I needed to take my girlfriend back to the bus to catch a Broadway show with her mom for Mother's Day. Unfortunately, this is when things got even more interesting.

Within a mile of leaving camp I hit a massive pothole and with a sound very much like shattering glass I knew I had blown my front passenger tire, or worse. I pulled into a church parking lot and immediately procured an Uber for my girlfriend to make her bus, which she just barely did. Then I was by myself in heavy rain in a church parking lot that lists GPS coordinates instead of an address on their website, intermittent reception, 30% battery life (I hadn't yet been home to replace the stereo with one that has USB), incomplete documentation (most of which was still in my briefcase back at camp), and no spare. I was able to get a flatbed to pick me up and the driver, with 40 years of experience under his belt, asked "what the hell is a Maserati?!".

Once towed to the nearest Mavis the friendly staff mostly looked at me like I'd walked in asking for help with my giraffe. They immediately confirmed that they did not have any 19" tires at all, let alone the specific size of P Zero's on my car. About and hour or two of calling around the area revealed that nobody had any 19" tires. I even got to the point where I started inquiring about smaller rims I could purchase and use as a spare, but of course the GranSport is the final Maserati model to use the Ferrari-spec lug pattern and so this too was a dead-end. Mavis, and all other places, told me they could order the correct tire but that they wouldn't have it until Monday. And so, now getting late to be back at camp for the wedding reception, I now resigned myself to finding a hotel room for Sunday night and to missing mine and my girlfriend's anniversary on Sunday. She was extremely supportive and understanding, which is amazing of her. One of the other customers, a friendly Jamaican real-estate developer, felt bad for me and gave me a ride back to camp in his X5.

As with everything else over the weekend, the reception was very cold, and it was rainy and muddy out, but at least it was very beautiful and heart-felt. Preoccupied with worry about missing my first anniversary, logistics for my Tuesday business trip to Virginia, and possible damage to my GranSport's rims I went back to my cabin relatively early during the dance party to resume research and determined to get myself home on Sunday. It was an absolutely frigid night.

Sunday morning I was up and having coffee earlier than anyone else in the wedding party. The weather had cleared but was still cold. Out on the deck overlooking the lake I began feverishly calling tire shops open on Sunday in progressively farther distances between the Poconos and Brooklyn looking for any 235/35R19 tire. There were many false leads that dried up once I asked them to make a physical check of their inventory instead of trusting what was listed in their computer. Finally, after about 2 1/2 hours I located a shop in NJ that had off-brand tires of the right size. The process of taking an Uber back to Mavis, getting the tow truck back out there (same driver!) and hauling from PA to NJ took about 3 hours, a great many dollars, and many trucker stories about Pennsylvania titty-bars that are clearly much more lax and wild than the ones back in Brooklyn.

Finally, at the tire shop in NJ, they started working on my car after I instructed them in the use of the F1 transmission, and thankfully they were able to verify that my rims were fine. While they worked on it I decided to finally go grab my first meal of the day. On my walk back I heard a heard a deep aggressive growl a short distance away, looked up, and soon saw a silver Maserati peeling down the road at high speed. A parked limo driver watched the whole thing and then looked at me silently with a face that said "what the hell?!", to which I had to yell "that's my car" as I bolted back to the station to inform the service manager. The manager was highly upset, and after the technician returned and the manager spoke with him out back the technician was clearly very shaken up, and admitted he just wanted to listen to the engine since it sounded so amazing. They offered a deep discount and an apology which I accepted, and I said that this might just be part of the "ownership experience" I would now need to start planning for. Unfortunately when I returned to the driver's seat I also found he'd accidentally snapped the phone-call microphone bracket while adjusting the rearview, and so again I informed the manager so they could reimburse me once I get it replaced.

But now I was happy because I was finally heading home in time for my anniversary and my new GranSport was driving and responding as I expected it to. I hadn't updated my girlfriend because I wasn't sure until this moment that I would make it. So now I asked my housemate if she could call my girlfriend and tell her that she wanted to drop off an anniversary present from me to my girlfriend's apartment in Little Italy. My girlfriend was out shopping with her sister, but they went home to receive her present. As they waited on the sidewalk for my housemate, she heard a tourist say "is that a Maserati?!", she turned and, as if on cue, an accordion player began playing a romantic tune. She burst out crying, said it was the biggest surprise she had ever had in her life, and I took her to the BBQ restaurant in Brooklyn that we'd ended up at on our first date, where the prickly bartender asked us to stop being so adorable while seated at his bar, until we told him our story.

Everything above occurred before my GranSport had ever seen the inside of my garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-15-2017, 06:19 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
When I first drove home my Biturbo after buying from a Maserati dealer long time ago, the fan wouldn't come on and car nearly overheated. Made for a long drive home to Cape Cod... Those first drives can a be weary... Glad to hear you got it back in one piece with discounted service! Did you buy tire/rim insurance from the dealer? Best money I ever spent on my Jag XE. 6K miles and have replaced three tires!

So, how is the car? Tell us more on your positive driving experiences since then. The red leather looks hot!

Former '85 Biturbo E owner 25+ years ago.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-15-2017, 06:27 PM
vdr

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 74
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Nicely written story though I'm sorry to ready about your misadventures and yes, the weather in the NE was terrible this past weekend. No matter really as it appears everything was ultimately resolved.

As an aside, I really like the Bordeaux interior. When I was searching for my GT that was my first choice as I felt the "Rosso" was, indeed, a bit too red and glaring. Unfortunately there were very few GT's specced with that color and my understanding is that it's being discontinued for 2018.

Good luck with the GS.

post #4 of 19 Old 05-15-2017, 07:21 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 177
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
congrats on acquisition!
i laughed about the "not so princely sum" haha
are you sure thats bordeaux interior, heres what my bordeaux & rosso look like...

Instagram.com/GunsCarsBikesCigars
~ Granturismo S
~ V12 Vanquish
~ Hummer H1
~ MK4 GTI
post #5 of 19 Old 05-15-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungConnoisseur View Post
congrats on acquisition!
i laughed about the "not so princely sum" haha
are you sure thats bordeaux interior, heres what my bordeaux & rosso look like...
Yup, sorry about my pic as its Instagram *ahem* enhanced. These photos are much more accurate: 2006 Maserati Gran Sport

The bordeaux manages to be both fun as well as luxurious and stately, and it looks to me like the rosso ups the style even more. Which do you find you like better?

The only curious choice I noticed in mine is the light gray carpeting. I'm getting used to it, but pretty sure I'll want to change it to black (modern+practical) or possibly red (more retro).
post #6 of 19 Old 05-15-2017, 10:34 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 78
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Reminds me of my first day with, literally, the first Alfa Romeo Guilia Super sold in the US. (1966...Yikes I'm old!). I was in High School. Of course the first order of business was to pick up my girlfriend for a Friday night date. I could not figure out how to switch on the headlights! Being the first car off the boat, and being Italian, there was no owner's manual in sight. I switched on the heater fan (which activated a little red light for the hearing impaired). I switched on a toggle that was supposed to be fog lights... nothing. I switched a mystery toggle... nothing.
Had to cancel the date. Crap!
Saturday morning my Dad and older Brothers and I attacked the mystery with 12 volt testers and probes. After an hour of wire chasing we discovered the rotary switch on the turn-indicator stalk! This was totally new to us. We made another discovery as well. If you pull out the bench rear seat cushion (which is sloped) and turn it around it fits back in the same guide holes. You then pull the front seats all the way forward and recline the seat backs it converts the cabin into a nice comfortable double bed.
My Brothers loudly proclaimed "Your troubles are over!!!" My wiser Dad suggested... : nope, just beginning."
post #7 of 19 Old 05-16-2017, 01:03 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 374
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats and thanks for sharing your "Maserati Life" I love happy endings

06 GS - gone
16 Ghibli S - Yes I am back!
post #8 of 19 Old 05-16-2017, 01:46 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 188
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
God I love that color combo! Lucky mine is the same! BTW, I would kill for that steering wheel! Great story and welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1823_1494899138594.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	96137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1826_1494899172863.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	96145  
post #9 of 19 Old 05-16-2017, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masera View Post
God I love that color combo! Lucky mine is the same! BTW, I would kill for that steering wheel! Great story and welcome!
Thanks!

When my girlfriend and I started checking out GranSports and GranTurismos she also commented that in all of the red interiors the wheel was still always black.

We love the full red of our GranSport, and as far as I've seen the red wheel is unique!
post #10 of 19 Old 05-16-2017, 04:02 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 79
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
You must be an author?
post #11 of 19 Old 05-16-2017, 06:46 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 2,163
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Very red, very nice

Just one thing: When you said 'towed' make sure that anyone that's towing your knows it has a limited slip diff on it.

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
4.2 GT Automatic, 147 TS, Sprint 1.7
post #12 of 19 Old 05-16-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subluxation1111 View Post
You must be an author?
Hah, thanks for the compliment, but I actually run client consulting for a technology company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmanv2 View Post
Very red, very nice

Just one thing: When you said 'towed' make sure that anyone that's towing your knows it has a limited slip diff on it.

C
Thankfully it was a flatbed, which I think is the only way I'd let it get towed. However, I must say that the F1 transmission *hates* pushing up onto a flatbed! It could be that I'm not yet familiar enough with it to engage it crisply in such a situation, but I was *not* happy about that clutch stink =(
post #13 of 19 Old 05-17-2017, 06:44 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 2,163
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumit Agarwal View Post
Hah, thanks for the compliment, but I actually run client consulting for a technology company.

Thankfully it was a flatbed, which I think is the only way I'd let it get towed. However, I must say that the F1 transmission *hates* pushing up onto a flatbed! It could be that I'm not yet familiar enough with it to engage it crisply in such a situation, but I was *not* happy about that clutch stink =(
I bet not. Did they not have a winch? That would have been fine.

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
4.2 GT Automatic, 147 TS, Sprint 1.7
post #14 of 19 Old 05-19-2017, 01:16 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 162
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A great read...and welcome aboard!

2006 GS Spyder
Rosso Modiale/Beige with Black Piping
10K Miles, Tubi, DBW, CF Paddles, Auditorium 200
post #15 of 19 Old 05-19-2017, 03:35 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 374
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
W r t towing, you did put it in neutral just like you would with a stick shift car , I hope ?!

06 GS - gone
16 Ghibli S - Yes I am back!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode