LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 01-05-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Coupe just stalled, wont start back up

Happy New Year everyone,

Yesterday I was driving home in my 2004 Cambiocorsa and as I was pulling up to red light my car stalled. I tried to turn the car off and back on but it wont turn back on. I had to call a tow truck and got it towed back to my house. When I try to turn on the car there is no noise. All the lights come on but the engine doesn't engage. Almost two years ago something similar happened and mechanic said to replace the F1 pump, which we did. Could it be the same issue in two years? How often does one have to replace the F1 pump? I've put less that 10K miles on the car in that time. When I open the front door there is also no noise which is what the mechanic said was one of the indications that the F1 was done.

Couple other side notes. 3 weeks ago the sound went out in my car. Stereo turns on but no sounds plays from radio, cd. Any idea what is causing that?
Also, yesterday when I was driving back I had the defrost air on for 15min and nothing seemed to be defrosting so I had to open the windows. Could this all be related? or just random things happening at same time?

Lastly I was on vacation for the last two weeks so the car was not driven. When I came back I had to have the car jump started because the battery was dead.

I love my car but there always seems to be issues when I come back from winter vacation :(
Its like when your dog shits in the house to let you know you were gone too long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 01-05-2017, 08:41 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
The pump should run you open the door...Search the forum for pump relay location...You might might to try that first as it could be just a faulty relay....Jason

ASE Master Tech. 28 years experience
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #3 of 38 Old 01-05-2017, 11:09 PM
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 2,283
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Well seems like you laid it all out there....lol. Jason you didn't want to answer all that....ha ha?

So I'm pretty certain the car is shitting on you like a dog, best leave it with a house sitter/dog sitter (car sitter). Alternatively, put it on a trickle charger, these cars are known to have parasitic draws. You could also just turn off the battery switch in the back.

Jason answered on the relay, very good advice. To focus on the question about how many times you'd have to replace an F1 pump, it really depends how much maintenance you've done on the F1 system. How many pump cycles in a minute with the car running in neutral will indicate how much shelf life you have on the accumulator. Run the solenoid leakage rates to see if they are out of spec. Most of this is done by the Tech you have working on the car that has the proper scan tool.

No sound, check the 5/10 amp fuse on the back of the NIT unit in the center console. You will have to open up the top part of it and look back behind the NIT, pretty sure it's a red 5 amp fuse but cannot be certain.

Not sure on the defrosting, as you didn't mention if you had it on A/C or heat when defrosting. If heat you might want to check your coolant reservoir to see that your anti-freeze is where it's supposed to be. The heater cores will have to be replaced on these as well. (Whole other issue).

Finally, if you are trying to get it started with no hydraulic pressure or a dead pump it's not going to happen. If it's not priming, and you've checked both the 30 amp fuse, and relay J suggested, you need to replace it. THEN this time find out why it's burning up your pumps in the first place. No it's not normal to have to replace them every two years, hydraulic fluid flush yes, pumps no.

craig-waterman.com

post #4 of 38 Old 01-06-2017, 08:55 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
I figured getting it to run was the larger issue...lol....Jason

ASE Master Tech. 28 years experience
Guru in Atlanta of Jaguar V12 & XJS cars.
post #5 of 38 Old 01-06-2017, 03:32 PM
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@ Enzo`s Atlanta View Post
I figured getting it to run was the larger issue...lol....Jason
I know buddy, more picking at you. He put a lot out there. Well if he can't get it to run now he can at least sit in it and listen to the radio! lol

craig-waterman.com
post #6 of 38 Old 01-06-2017, 04:40 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 67
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Really? A car that won't start can be caused by F1 issues.

I have a 3 pedal / stick shift GT so I won't even know this; however, I have a 360 F1 before which is almost (if not the same) F1 system. It will only cause it not to go in gear BUT it will never prevent the car from starting.

I agree that the pump should prime when openning the drive side door but really? F1 for the Coupe can cause the car not to start? Seems odd.

Ferrari 360 Gated w/ Removable Top (1 of 24)
Maserati Coupe GT w/ Vintage Pack (Stick Shift)
Ducati Monster 796
MB S600 V12 BiTurbo (Beeeaast!)
Land Rover Range Rover
Toyota Crewmax (Grappler Setup)
Other daily vehicles not worth mentioning...
post #7 of 38 Old 01-06-2017, 06:54 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 12
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My two cents, start with the battery first. It sounds like there are various voltage issues and our cars are electric-heavy.

Current Maser: 2006 GranSport
Stablemates: Alfa 164 Super, Evo VIII, Ducati 916Senna, Ducati 904SP
post #8 of 38 Old 01-06-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCpersian View Post
My two cents, start with the battery first. It sounds like there are various voltage issues and our cars are electric-heavy.
This one makes sense. Bad battery can cause F1 not to prime when the door is opened AND will cause the car not to start as well (any car not to start).

I'm suprised that the mechanic when you had this same issue years ago said that F1 not priming is the symptom that the F1 system is preventing the car to start.

I may be off base here and the mechanic is maybe right but I really think it's odd that the F1 system will cause the car not to start. Very odd. To the OP, hopefully the mechanic / shop is trust worthy and didn't simply replace the battery and billed you with an F1 fix. Which is way more $$$.

I'm sure this is not the case with my Ferrari 360 when it was F1. In my experience, F1 will only prevent the car to shift if there's an issue IMHO.

Ducati Monster 796
Land Rover Range Rover
post #9 of 38 Old 01-06-2017, 08:18 PM
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drestless View Post
Really? A car that won't start can be caused by F1 issues.

I have a 3 pedal / stick shift GT so I won't even know this; however, I have a 360 F1 before which is almost (if not the same) F1 system. It will only cause it not to go in gear BUT it will never prevent the car from starting.

I agree that the pump should prime when openning the drive side door but really? F1 for the Coupe can cause the car not to start? Seems odd.
Hmmmm......trying to be more diplomatic as I get older. You might have missed that J and I actually work on these cars, sometimes day in and day out. You are correct the F360 is almost the same, not entirely, it has a bladder type accumulator, that sits above the valve body. These have piston type accumulators that sit horizontally on top of the gear box. The actuators are also slightly different. Cannot remember the solenoid valve nomenclature off the top of my head but they are similar enough.

In either case, if you bleed the system pressure completely out on an F360 it will also fail to start. However, as long as the system holds pressure correctly you would be able to start the car a few times until it bled out with a failed F1 pump. You don't have to take our word for it however, find someone with an F1 car, whether Ferrari or Maserati. Take the F1 pump fuse out. Start the car let it idle in neutral. Keep trying to shift it. It should stop trying to shift at 580 psi or 40 bar. There will still be system pressure to start the car...... Kill the car, and keep trying to start it. Eventually you will see it will not start. The CC light or F1 light will stay illuminated in the dash as well. The last car I had do this was a Vintage edition Maserati Spyder flat bedded to me from CT from the NorthEast Harley Davidson regional sales manager. The pressure literally read -1 on the scan tool. Once the pump was replaced the car pressurized and started right back up.

craig-waterman.com
post #10 of 38 Old 01-06-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Hmmmm......trying to be more diplomatic as I get older. You might have missed that J and I actually work on these cars, sometimes day in and day out. You are correct the F360 is almost the same, not entirely, it has a bladder type accumulator, that sits above the valve body. These have piston type accumulators that sit horizontally on top of the gear box. The actuators are also slightly different. Cannot remember the solenoid valve nomenclature off the top of my head but they are similar enough.

In either case, if you bleed the system pressure completely out on an F360 it will also fail to start. However, as long as the system holds pressure correctly you would be able to start the car a few times until it bled out with a failed F1 pump. You don't have to take our word for it however, find someone with an F1 car, whether Ferrari or Maserati. Take the F1 pump fuse out. Start the car let it idle in neutral. Keep trying to shift it. It should stop trying to shift at 580 psi or 40 bar. There will still be system pressure to start the car...... Kill the car, and keep trying to start it. Eventually you will see it will not start. The CC light or F1 light will stay illuminated in the dash as well. The last car I had do this was a Vintage edition Maserati Spyder flat bedded to me from CT from the NorthEast Harley Davidson regional sales manager. The pressure literally read -1 on the scan tool. Once the pump was replaced the car pressurized and started right back up.
Great knowledge. As previously stated, "I maybe off base" but shared my experience.

Learned something new today regarding F1. I'm glad that both of my italians are now gated because these cars gets convoluted when F1 is involved.

F1 is exhilarating to drive but bit me a couple of times. I gave up after my F1 stalled me twice in two months. Risked my safety too. It won't go in gear in the middle of the street. The cause is just brake bulb the first time and the other time it's the brake sensor. Wow.

Ok back to the OPs topic. There you go! I was able to summon the pros by being sarcastic a little.

Ducati Monster 796
Land Rover Range Rover
post #11 of 38 Old 01-07-2017, 02:06 AM
B R

Maserati Life Posts: 244
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCpersian View Post
Was going to say this. I had all kinds of krazy things going on with my AMG SL55, which I ended up figuring out, was all due to a failing battery. A couple of years ago I also had a couple of strange things happen on my Maser, which led me to replace the battery, and that made it work fine again. Modern cars can not tolerate a marginal battery, and the symptoms don't show up as a traditional "can't crank over the engine" problem.

2005 Cambiocorsa Coupe, w/ some options
post #12 of 38 Old 01-08-2017, 01:02 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just 2 observations. Seems like replacing the battery fixes everything. I'm gonna get a new one and see if it causes the IRS to drop my audit. lol

Secondly, Craig IMHO, as a newbie, you are a terrific asset to this forum. Thanks for your input on some very persistent complex issues!
post #13 of 38 Old 01-09-2017, 03:50 PM
Supporting Member

InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juris View Post
Just 2 observations. Seems like replacing the battery fixes everything. I'm gonna get a new one and see if it causes the IRS to drop my audit. lol

Secondly, Craig IMHO, as a newbie, you are a terrific asset to this forum. Thanks for your input on some very persistent complex issues!
Sometimes the battery can be at issue however given the circumstances specifically mention above I think J and I were leaning towards the pump. In either case I must say, if it does help with the Audit let me know. Currently my lil Sis is a CPA, she loves to battle with IRS, and has won every audit so far, usually with money in my pocket! However, since she deals with so many clients, I can just send her a battery to help with her business.....lol.

Secondly, I do appreciate the affirmation, I believe Jason would say the same. It can be a thankless job at times. We like to help people with their cars, and it really takes being on your toes with these F1 systems. If we can help people here and there we do so. We really don't want to argue over the issues just address them best we can. Our reward really comes in helping someone else keep their Mas on the road.

craig-waterman.com
post #14 of 38 Old 01-09-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
.... Our reward really comes in helping someone else keep their Mas on the road.
Very nice objective. Maseratis are worth keeping on the road and not garage queens (either by choice or because it had a catastrophic failure.),

Ducati Monster 796
Land Rover Range Rover
post #15 of 38 Old 01-10-2017, 05:06 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,954
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
It can be a thankless job at times.
Indeed! But I also appreciate you

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
4.2 GT Automatic, 147 TS, Sprint 1.7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode