Looking to buy a 2002 Maserati Spyder... - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 02-24-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking to buy a 2002 Maserati Spyder...

from a dealer in Texas. Sounds like a great deal at around $29,000. Am I crazy? Opinions? Bad or good long-term investment? What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-24-2010, 03:50 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,258
What's the mileage & condition? Did you see a Carfax report on it? How about maintenance history? Also, what kind of maintenance does it need right now? If the 30k service hasn't been done, that'll run you anywhere from $1,500 to $2k, depending on the dealership (based on figures I've seen & also have paid myself).

'02 CC Coupe
'75 Merak
post #3 of 27 Old 02-24-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Mileage is like 18,000. Condition looks to be...

excellent from the photos that I have seen. Saw the CarFax report and it was clear. I know nothing about the maintenance. I collect Shelby's. Have 4 now and plan on having my Shelby mechanic service for me. Technically he is excellent. Am I crazy?
post #4 of 27 Old 02-24-2010, 04:52 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 573
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
At 18,000 miles figure that the clutch needs to be replaced soon. Cost somewhere between $3,500 and $5,000 depending who does it and what needs to be replaced (i.e flywheel, pilot bearing etc.) This has to be done by someone that has the Maserati specific code reader so they can adjust the clutch after replacement. Some independents have these. While your current mechanic can probably handle routine maintenance you should try to line someone up that knows these cars as they have their own little quirks at times amd you will save a lot of money in the long run if the mechanic working on it has experience.

"If you haven't seen the future you haven't gone fast enough!"

2003 Maserati CC Black/Cuoio
1986 Mercedes 560 SL Black/Palomino
post #5 of 27 Old 02-24-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgenhard View Post
At 18,000 miles figure that the clutch needs to be replaced soon. Cost somewhere between $3,500 and $5,000 depending who does it and what needs to be replaced (i.e flywheel, pilot bearing etc.) This has to be done by someone that has the Maserati specific code reader so they can adjust the clutch after replacement. Some independents have these. While your current mechanic can probably handle routine maintenance you should try to line someone up that knows these cars as they have their own little quirks at times amd you will save a lot of money in the long run if the mechanic working on it has experience.

I think that what you are telling me is that a Shelby guy living in the mountains of North Carolina with an outstanding Ford HiPo mechanic but no Maserati dealer for 150-200 miles would be insane to buy a car like a Maserati Spyder. Right?
post #6 of 27 Old 02-24-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Bailey View Post
I think that what you are telling me is that a Shelby guy living in the mountains of North Carolina with an outstanding Ford HiPo mechanic but no Maserati dealer for 150-200 miles would be insane to buy a car like a Maserati Spyder. Right?
The closest Maserati dealer to me is about 400 miles away - I figure since there's a couple of indy shops here that work on the handful of F-cars & Masi's in the area, I'll be ok for most routine stuff (plus, I can do some minor work myself), but if I need to have something major done, like a clutch or major service interval, I'll need to send it out of town. You'd be in a similar situation, most likely.

'02 CC Coupe
'75 Merak
post #7 of 27 Old 02-24-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
The closest Maserati dealer to me is about 400 miles away - I figure since there's a couple of indy shops here that work on the handful of F-cars & Masi's in the area, I'll be ok for most routine stuff (plus, I can do some minor work myself), but if I need to have something major done, like a clutch or major service interval, I'll need to send it out of town. You'd be in a similar situation, most likely.
How do you send it out to them?
post #8 of 27 Old 02-24-2010, 06:20 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 5,887
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Bad or good long-term investment?
Awesome car, horrible investment. Modern, mass produced cars, like the 4200 series Maseratis, won't even keep up with the rate of inflation in the long-term.

Quote:
excellent from the photos that I have seen. Saw the CarFax report and it was clear.
All cars look good in the photos. Get a complete PPI before you buy.

Quote:
I know nothing about the maintenance.
There have been many other threads on maintenance costs. I think $3K-$5K per year (fluids, tires, and clutch if driven 6K miles/year) is realistic as long as repairs aren't needed. Repairs will raise that figure accordingly.

Quote:
Your Ford guy won't be of any help outside of changing tires and oil. Lots of owners are a good distance from their nearest dealer. Just ship the car off when it needs service.

Quote:
How do you send it out to them?
Most owners just pay for a flat-bed tow. Some dealers offer pickup and delivery service for a fee.

https://www.instagram.com/revtravis/

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
post #9 of 27 Old 02-24-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Not really. Routine maintenance can be handled by any skilled mechanic, but for more complicated issues you will need the code reader and someone that understands all the workings of these cars. Unfortunately, a little more complicted than a Ford. Just be prepared and aware of the potential cost. Generally these cars a pretty reliable as evidenced by all the forum members that use them as daily drivers. The joy these cars bring outweigh any issues to most of us here on this forum!

post #10 of 27 Old 02-24-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

I think that I better stick with collecting Shelby's.

I love the Maserati styling and grace but you guys have scared me to death. Thanks to everyone for the excellent feedback and educated opinions.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I love the Maserati styling and grace but you guys have scared me to death. Thanks to everyone for the excellent feedback and educated opinions.
Don't give up already! Think it through a little more, perhaps... is it worth a little hassle to have a car like that? It's not going to be your only car, so if it breaks down, you've got several spares, in your case. Call the nearest dealer & ask if they have transport available, or if they don't - who they could recommend & find out what the fees are for that.

These are not like some of the older Italicars where you can only drive them 50 yards at a time before they break down, so do a bit more homework & research & you might find you want to give it a shot after all.

'02 CC Coupe
'75 Merak
post #12 of 27 Old 02-24-2010, 09:04 PM

you might find you want to give it a shot after all.

We all did and there is nothing like driving a true Italian sportscar (with all due respect to Shelby)!

post #13 of 27 Old 02-25-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Guys, Love the Maserati Spyder but just look at...

the threads. Problems, breakdowns, performance issues, exorbitant costs, bad investments, etc. I'm just grateful that you guys are honest about all of these issues. I mean a Maserati needs a clutch after 18,000 miles?! Good Lord. I'm kind of numb right now.
post #14 of 27 Old 02-25-2010, 03:58 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 31
Just do it!

Quote:
J - FWIW, I've been a Mustang guy since before I could drive. I've had the 5.0s, the late model Cobras, a '68 J code fastback and now have a '68 X code convertible (upgraded to 4bbl of course). Still love American muscle, but I traded my '03 Cobra convertible for an '02 Spyder with 12,000 miles last year from Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro and couldn't be happier. Totally different experience, totally unique and a blast to drive with the top down. Sure repairs will be a pain, but as a Shelby collector, you certainly are used to paying major $$ for NOS parts, right?!?.

But as I'm sure you've read, if you're looking at this as any sort of profitable investment, you should look elsewhere, unless you measure profit in grins. I paid $34K and that included a new clutch install. In less than a year, I think I'd be lucky to get mid-20s if I wanted to sell. So, it'll be in my garage for awhile with no regrets.

I'm sure you'd enjoy cruising the Blue Ridge Parkway in a Spyder!

Chris
post #15 of 27 Old 02-25-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
the threads. Problems, breakdowns, performance issues, exorbitant costs, bad investments, etc. I'm just grateful that you guys are honest about all of these issues. I mean a Maserati needs a clutch after 18,000 miles?! Good Lord. I'm kind of numb right now.
I would bet that most enthusiast forums have their share of threads containing issues, gripes, bitches, etc... it's not as if we just come on here to say "Yay, I love my car & I'm so glad I bought it!". Although you do see posts like that, forii such as this one tend to be more a place to seek help, advice, opinions, etc. Go to Ferrarichat.com & you'll see plenty of bitch-threads there, too. Or if you REALLY want to have some nightmares - look up some Brit-car forums, or anything having to do with the phrase: "Lucas electronics"

I'm a relative newb here, and as a Maserati owner, as well; so definitely don't go by my word alone; but don't weigh the gripes heavier than the positive aspects of the cars... think about it - someone goes to a restaurant they frequent on a regular basis & it's routine, nothing special, but the food's what they expected & the service was fine, how many people do they tell? Usually nobody. That same person goes back to said restaurant & on one occasion the food sucks & the service is horrible, how many people do they tell then? Usually a LOT! In other words, people tend to be more vocal about problems than they are about something that meets their expectations.

These are complicated cars, from both a mechanical & electronic aspect - especially the F1 models, so there's more that can potentially go wrong, that's true. They're not for everybody - that aspect is also true. There's also a chance that if you're dating Jessica Alba, she'd be a little bit more high-maintenance than the librarian down the street.

As for me, I'll take Jessica... or at least I'd be willing try her out for a year or so & see how it goes.

'02 CC Coupe
'75 Merak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode