F-1 Pump, the question. - Maserati Forum

Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Modern Maserati Coupe, Spyder, GS ::

F-1 Pump, the question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 01:52 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 79
Question F-1 Pump, the question.

Hello Friends,

Does anyone can explain, why F-1 needs to engage every time drivers door is opened? It would be more easy to understand, if the pump got engaged after ignition, but just to open the door!!
Thank you, Michael.
Spyder 2004 CC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 112

And worse, when you open the doors with the remote, the F1 pump engages. Then you open the door it engages again - why twice?

05' GranSport - Grigio Touring
02' Escalade
Commodity Trading Advisor
Old 12-02-2009, 05:43 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 274

Its just initializing pressure , Deliberately done by Maserati for Le Mans starts least thats waht i tell me mates oh and for the odd in a hurry Bank Robber

regards loz

The kids have grown up / sensible bit over/ now i can play again with big toys
Old 12-02-2009, 07:22 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 371

It does have a little intelligence as it doesn't engage when the door is opened after the car has been running.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:26 PM

Thats a safety measure , not possible to engage any gear with the drivers door open

regards loz

Old 12-02-2009, 07:36 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 371

I meant the F1 pump doesn't engage- not the gears. In other words no "whine" when the door is opened after the car has been running.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:12 PM

Exactly my point , its a safety feature, door open pump doesn;t cut in therefore the system isnt up to pressure therefore unable to select a gear therefore unable to drive off with the door open and cause injury /damage therefore a SAFETY FEATURE i rest my case m'lud

regards loz

Old 12-02-2009, 10:44 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 43

last night was the first time I noticed that after running the car for 1/2 hour--when i opended the door it made a quick noise instead of the normal 3 second wine. I assume that is normal, and I barely heard it.

F-1 pump must be working just fine.

But --yes I had thought it strange that when you hit the remote it kicks in to prime, then does it again when the door is open. I have made it a point that if I need to get into the car while its in the garage to retrive something from the car--I always go in through the passenger side.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:37 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,100

Whats a tell tale way to know if the F1 pump is going bad? It seems its a hit or miss thing randomly since its an electric part, if it goes it just goes? Any good preventative measure or any cost effective way of checking on it myself?
Old 12-03-2009, 04:55 PM
InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 5,882

Quote:
Originally Posted by maseratisportgts View Post
Whats a tell tale way to know if the F1 pump is going bad? It seems its a hit or miss thing randomly since its an electric part, if it goes it just goes? Any good preventative measure or any cost effective way of checking on it myself?
Pump failures are rare. But when they do happen, it is usually one of two things. Either the pump itself stop working, or the pump relay sticks open and fries the pump.

As for pump only failures, once it goes it goes. I guess you could have it rebuilkt once per year but that wouldn't be cost effective.

As for relay failures that could result in a pump failure, you could always replace your relay each year. I think someone mentioned a relay cost of about $75. Truthfully, relay failures are also very rare. Our cars have lots of relays in them. I'm certain very few of us have ever replaced even one of them.

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
Old 12-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 477

It so happens that my new F1 relay arrived at my UK apartment today and I will take it back to Ny next week and install. Worth the mney to avoid frying the pump and my mechanic recommended it. Gbp38 which is $62.50 on today's xchange rate. For any Americans who want one but don't want to pay the crazy shipping charge, feel free to pm me and I'll accept it at my UK adddress and bring them back to the us. I'm back and forth every 10-14 days so no big deal.

2005 GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.