Clutch replacement questions - Maserati Forum

Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Modern Maserati Coupe, Spyder, GS ::

Clutch replacement questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 262
Send a message via AIM to brumma Send a message via MSN to brumma Send a message via Yahoo to brumma
Default Clutch replacement questions

So I've dropped off my GranSport to have the drive bearing replaced under warranty. I figured I may as well replace the clutch while it's apart, thereby avoiding the $3-4K in labor charges later. Well, my dealer quoted me $3600 to replace everything, incl. clutch, thrust bearing, flywheel, and clutch sensor. I really cannot afford to do it. My question is this... When any of you have replaced the clutch, have you replaced everything or did you just do the clutch itself? Just replacing the clutch and thrust bearing would cost me about $2300, which seems like a more reasonable option. Any opinions?

-brumma

'05 Maserati GranSport Coupe - Gone But Not Forgotten
'07 Aston Martin V8 Vantage
'06 Mercedes SL500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 791

If you can't afford to do it the right way now, don't do it partially.

Live with what you have until it absolutely needs to be done and do it fully then even if more $ than now.

The flywheel and pressure plate should be resurfaced or you will destroy a new clutch disc.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 210
Smile Clutch

The parts are around $2,000 so your quote does not add up. I am going to have mine done on Monday by a good independent. They got the parts from the Auto Gallery in the San Fernando Valley California.
And I am replacing every thing that you can. Better to not be penny wise and pound-foolish. I will post how it turns out later next week. I almost made to 30,000 miles (29,230 to date).
2003 Coupe GT.

Ron
Old 04-24-2009, 02:33 AM
Send a message via AIM to brumma Send a message via MSN to brumma Send a message via Yahoo to brumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Avery View Post
The parts are around $2,000 so your quote does not add up. I am going to have mine done on Monday by a good independent. They got the parts from the Auto Gallery in the San Fernando Valley California.
And I am replacing every thing that you can. Better to not be penny wise and pound-foolish. I will post how it turns out later next week. I almost made to 30,000 miles (29,230 to date).
2003 Coupe GT.

Ron
I researched the parts on Ricambi, and came up with a total of around $2700 for everything I previously mentioned. Obviously the dealer is taking quite a bit of mark-up at 33% or so.

-brumma

'06 Mercedes SL500
Old 04-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 40
Default Clutch replacement

Just had mine done 24k miles, how many miles have you done?,

Not everything needs to be replaced, but everything does need throughly checking, I had everything except the flywheel replaced because it need it, you should not normally need to repace the flywheel , nothing should be resurfaced if damaged replace it, unless the clutch has worn down to the rivets and got so hot to cause damage all should be ok including the bearing, while it is apart go to the garage and look at check the parts yourself, check for damaged O Rings on the bearing etc. see how much the plates have worn down, you can aproximate how many miles you have left from that.

Be interested to know why they think you need a new flywheel it the by far the most expensive bit,

Cheers Keith
Old 04-29-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.groves View Post
Just had mine done 24k miles, how many miles have you done?
I'm at about 17k, but I'm the second owner and who knows how the first one drove. While one dealer tells me the noise I hear is probably the drive bearing, another seems to think it's probably the clutch. I don't know who to believe.

Quote:
Not everything needs to be replaced, but everything does need throughly checking, I had everything except the flywheel replaced because it need it, you should not normally need to repace the flywheel , nothing should be resurfaced if damaged replace it, unless the clutch has worn down to the rivets and got so hot to cause damage all should be ok including the bearing, while it is apart go to the garage and look at check the parts yourself, check for damaged O Rings on the bearing etc. see how much the plates have worn down, you can aproximate how many miles you have left from that.
I gathered as much by talking to a gent down at F1 Imports in Naples. Apparently they have an SD3 and can properly do clutch replacements. They'll even resurface the flywheel--just rough it up--to even out any wear, etc. Going to the garage in Naples is a possibility, but not to my AD. They're in Fort Lauderdale and that's about 2 1/2 hours away.

Quote:
Be interested to know why they think you need a new flywheel it the by far the most expensive bit
Apparently it's they're standard procedure. I suppose it's mandated by their Service Manager (at least that's the impression I get). They don't even have it apart yet, so that's a worst case estimate. But if I don't get it all replaced I have to sign a waver effectively eliminating the warranty on the clutch. It's a bunch of BS and I'm obviously not happy about it. The amount of greed these guys exhibit amazes me...

-brumma

'06 Mercedes SL500
Old 04-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 1,685

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumma View Post
So I've dropped off my GranSport to have the drive bearing replaced under warranty. I figured I may as well replace the clutch while it's apart, thereby avoiding the $3-4K in labor charges later. Well, my dealer quoted me $3600 to replace everything, incl. clutch, thrust bearing, flywheel, and clutch sensor. I really cannot afford to do it. My question is this... When any of you have replaced the clutch, have you replaced everything or did you just do the clutch itself? Just replacing the clutch and thrust bearing would cost me about $2300, which seems like a more reasonable option. Any opinions?
Hey brumma.... Boardwalk Ferrari/Maserati charged me about $1600 for everything (minus labor). The service manager said they only turn the flywheel if it's heavily scored, thay almost NEVER replace them. Not sure about the TOB.

I would say "go ahead and tear it down for the pilot bearing and let me inspect the flywheel/TOB". You can inist on a clutch only. A LOT of dealer shops just package it that way for maximum shop revenue (i.e. non warranty $$$). If possible, take it to another shop if they don't play ball.

Buzz

2005 Nero Coupe' CC Vintage
2005 Audi A8L Quattro
2005 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab
Old 04-30-2009, 12:23 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Avery View Post
2003 Coupe GT.

Ron
Love to hear how the replacement went, where you had it done, and how much it cost.

02 Coupe Cambiocorsa
82 911SC - Sold
81 911SC Targa
Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 338

My experience has been that it varies by shop. The last thing any shop wants to do is do a partial replacement and then have to deal with problems after the fact. Replacing everything is always the safest bet although not the most costs effective!

Check around if you have another dealer close to you for a second opinion. They all seem to be pretty good at providing quotes without even looking at your car!

2011 Tesla S
2005 Maserati Quattroporte
2004 Panoz Esperante
2001 Lincoln LS Sport
Old 04-30-2009, 04:58 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 1,402

I had mine done by Auto Gallery and they charged me only for the new clutch ($1,300) + 2 h extra labor ($300). They said everything else was fine. Since they're authorized dealer, I don't understand your shop's "standard Procedure" regarding the flywheel.

2005 GranSport Nero Carbonio-The Fastest color
FD DBW
FD ECM
FD Springs
FD Brake Pads
BMC Air Filter
Cat Bypass (custom)
Old 04-30-2009, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteroi View Post
I had mine done by Auto Gallery and they charged me only for the new clutch ($1,300) + 2 h extra labor ($300). They said everything else was fine. Since they're authorized dealer, I don't understand your shop's "standard Procedure" regarding the flywheel.
Yeah, well neither do I.

They're working on some other warranty odds and ends and haven't moved on to the drive train yet, so I don't have any updated info. Perhaps I can get by with just the clutch and thrust bearing. (I still find it odd that I'm getting free labor, and I would still end up paying $600 more than you did.) I also don't understand why they're forcing me to do the clutch AND thrust bearing--they absolutely insist on that...

If the clutch is OK for a bit, I'm just going to invest in the FD DBW mod, purchase the clutch myself, and have it installed by F1 Imports here in Naples. Beats driving further and paying more, don't ya think?

-brumma

'06 Mercedes SL500
Old 04-30-2009, 01:09 PM
InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,309

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumma View Post
Yeah, well neither do I.

If the clutch is OK for a bit, I'm just going to invest in the FD DBW mod, purchase the clutch myself, and have it installed by F1 Imports here in Naples. Beats driving further and paying more, don't ya think?
I always wondered if the DBW would squeeze a bit more out of the clutch when it was nearing its end-of-service life. It's worth a try IMHO.

Vincenzo
'06 GranSport Spyder - Rosso Mondiale
FD DBW, FD Springs, FD SS Brake Lines, Larini De-Cats, BMC
'07 Tundra - it's just big
'09 John Deere - Green as it gets... 2009 - 'Best in Grass'
Old 04-30-2009, 03:40 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 574
Default clutch

the dealer(crook i dealt with) in columbus ohio charged me 3500 in 03 car had 8k and needed a clutch
Old 04-30-2009, 05:08 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 104

I had mine done in December at an independent shop in So cal. You def should change the sensor while your doing it also yes you can resurface the flywheel. The whole thing with labor cost me 2600.00 not bad considering dealer would have cost me over 3500.00. But I agree do not do it half way wait till you absolutely have to do it then do everything at once.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 210
Default Clutch

I was going to post the info on Friday when I get the car back. However I will give you some info now, the shop is called Fusion in Chatsworth. # 818-773-9636. I worked with Jim, he is the service writer. The mechanic owner is Damian; he has owned the shop for 20 years. The over all impression I had of the shop is it’s very clean and organized with a lot of room for the cars inside. They had a lot of high end Ferrari’s and a couple Coupes.
They quoted me $3,200 for every thing, Clutch, fly wheel and all of the Bearings, throw-out and pilot. Remember my car is not CC it is a true six speed manual.
I was supposed to have the car back on Wenesday, how ever they found that I also needed a clutch slave. Of course it was not in stock so maybe later today.
They did say that my car will be detailed before it is returned to me that made me happy considering how anal I’m about my car.
So for now all looks good.
Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.