Clutch replacement questions - Page 2 - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 Old 04-30-2009, 06:17 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Drive Bearing warranty campaign?

Regarding the first post, is there a campaign that allows you to have the bearing replaced on a GS with CC regardless of issues? If not what should I be looking/listening for that would indicate I have a problem?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 Old 04-30-2009, 06:39 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 232
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundas View Post
the dealer(crook i dealt with) in columbus ohio charged me 3500 in 03 car had 8k and needed a clutch
Did you get the car at the Dublin dealership?

07 Quattroporte Exec GT- blu oceano
98 Mercedes C230
post #18 of 31 Old 04-30-2009, 06:43 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,405
To be honest, I wish I had the TO bearing replaced, just in case.

2005 GranSport Nero Carbonio-The Fastest color
FD DBW
FD ECM
FD Springs
FD Brake Pads
BMC Air Filter
Cat Bypass (custom)

post #19 of 31 Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 167
Hey guys,

Perhaps this is a bit extreme but, if I (still) lived in a town like Columbus Ohio and the only local place to service my GS was the dealer..I would have no issues with paying $1000 to truck/ haul the car out of state to a great independent.
post #20 of 31 Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 210
OK so I just picked up my 2003 Coupe GT from fusion Motor Sports. The car was spot less inside and out,plus under the hood has well.
Now the total bill with all of the clutch parts plus the clutch slave and a fluid service was $3,900.
The Auto Gallery gave me a discounted estimate for just the clutch job with out the service or the clutch slave of $3,800 - $4,200.
I can not believe how much better it drives with the new clutch. The peddle is so much lighter and the clutch engages in the first 1/3 of the travel instead of the top 1/3. I now know what a new Coupe GT must have been like. I bought my car used with 14,000 miles on it three years ago.I also had them adjust the shift linkage as well; it is way better (less effort required and more precise).
So I think the price that I paid was terrific!! I highly recamend Damian for those of us in the Valley,his # is 818-773-9636.
Ron

Last edited by Ron Avery; 05-07-2009 at 01:29 PM.
post #21 of 31 Old 05-06-2009, 08:36 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 793
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Damian is indeed very talented and very capable.

You just have to get around the British accent?

Did you know he is the voice of the Geico Gekko?
post #22 of 31 Old 05-07-2009, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 262
Send a message via AIM to brumma Send a message via MSN to brumma Send a message via Yahoo to brumma
Quote:
Originally Posted by masergss View Post
Regarding the first post, is there a campaign that allows you to have the bearing replaced on a GS with CC regardless of issues? If not what should I be looking/listening for that would indicate I have a problem?
Thanks
From what I understand, it is a well-known issue. There was a service document that out. Listen for a "hooting" or "screeching" noise on takeoff. I don't know if the dealer ever confirmed the noise, but they did do the work.

-brumma

'05 Maserati GranSport Coupe - Gone But Not Forgotten
'07 Aston Martin V8 Vantage
'06 Mercedes SL500
post #23 of 31 Old 09-04-2012, 05:08 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by brumma View Post
From what I understand, it is a well-known issue. There was a service document that out. Listen for a "hooting" or "screeching" noise on takeoff. I don't know if the dealer ever confirmed the noise, but they did do the work.
Thread resurrection. My car made that sound the other day.... anyone know exactly what needs to be replaced and if it's doable by myself?. I'd like to DIY it if possible and I don't need a SD2 computer etc.

p.s. I got my car codes and I had 3 arrows from wat hey said all pointed towards actuator/bearing.
post #24 of 31 Old 09-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Master Mechanic

Maserati Life Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to JoshH
The issue is the input shaft support bearing inside the bellhousing. The outer race of the bearing spins inside the case. The factory fix was to remove the bearing, rough the inside of the case up with a hammer and punch, apply bearing retainer loctite and reinstall the bearing.

You could DIY the job to an extent. It will take a press to R&R the shaft & bearing. You will also have to bleed the clutch circuit after opening everything up. It's suppose to be done via the Diag computer, however with help from a friend you can crack the bleeder open as someone selects 1st and Neutral repeatedly and get the same result.
post #25 of 31 Old 09-04-2012, 06:27 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
You will also have to bleed the clutch circuit after opening everything up. It's suppose to be done via the Diag computer, however with help from a friend you can crack the bleeder open as someone selects 1st and Neutral repeatedly and get the same result.

Josh- are you referring to the cambiocorsa hydraulic circuit? I wasn't aware that there was a bleed routine a DIYer could follow. This would put another item that many view as a "dealer only" procedure --changing the CHF fluid-- into the hands of a competent "shade tree" mechanic.

'03 CambioCorsa Coupe
post #26 of 31 Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 5,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinBrian View Post
Josh- are you referring to the cambiocorsa hydraulic circuit? I wasn't aware that there was a bleed routine a DIYer could follow. This would put another item that many view as a "dealer only" procedure --changing the CHF fluid-- into the hands of a competent "shade tree" mechanic.
There have been a few threads on the DIY to bleed the system. Try a search and you should find some good info.

https://www.instagram.com/revtravis/

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
post #27 of 31 Old 09-05-2012, 04:01 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
The issue is the input shaft support bearing inside the bellhousing. The outer race of the bearing spins inside the case. The factory fix was to remove the bearing, rough the inside of the case up with a hammer and punch, apply bearing retainer loctite and reinstall the bearing.

You could DIY the job to an extent. It will take a press to R&R the shaft & bearing. You will also have to bleed the clutch circuit after opening everything up. It's suppose to be done via the Diag computer, however with help from a friend you can crack the bleeder open as someone selects 1st and Neutral repeatedly and get the same result.
I have access to a lift and every tool imaginable other than SD2 computer lol. In other words this sounds like an easy DIY. Although I might as well just get the whole clutch replaced considering the last time I had it checked out it was at 92% and it has this issue. I think it might be safe to assume I just need new stuff.
post #28 of 31 Old 09-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Master Mechanic

Maserati Life Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to JoshH
It will take a couple days to get it done since it's not a routine for you, but definitely do able. At 92% accompanied by the squeal, I have to agree that the car would probably appreciate a good going over.

To replace the bearing you are doing everything to do a clutch job, except removing the pressure plate and flywheel.
post #29 of 31 Old 09-05-2012, 05:14 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisJ View Post
There have been a few threads on the DIY to bleed the system. Try a search and you should find some good info.
I tried a number of searches, and the wonderful on-site search engine here hasn't pulled a thread up for me

'03 CambioCorsa Coupe
post #30 of 31 Old 09-06-2012, 06:01 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 283
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinBrian View Post
I tried a number of searches, and the wonderful on-site search engine here hasn't pulled a thread up for me
You might try Google, specifying "site:maseratilife.com" at the end of the search string, which will limit searches to this site. I know I've had in-site content show up in general Google searches for Maserati info before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode