Totally dead battery - Maserati Forum

Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Modern Maserati Coupe, Spyder, GS ::

Totally dead battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 15
Default Totally dead battery

Hey Guys,
I have a completely dead battery. So dead, that I don't have enough power to get into the trunk. Do you guys know of a good way to get into it so that I can change it out? I would have normally thought that I could just use the key to manually pop it open, but it doesn't want to turn. I'm wondering if the chrome frame on the trunk is screwed down so tight that it's prohibiting it from turning manually. I've never really had to open it that way before and am not sure.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:28 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 90

Not knowing what model you have, ymmv...

In my -06 GS, you use the normal door key, but the lock in the trunklid is a bit tight, so it needs some negotiation. ...a good spray of WD40 or similar could also be beneficial...

HTH
/F.

- Spread some confusion -
Old 01-14-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folke View Post
Not knowing what model you have, ymmv...

In my -06 GS, you use the normal door key, but the lock in the trunklid is a bit tight, so it needs some negotiation. ...a good spray of WD40 or similar could also be beneficial...

HTH
/F.
That's my suspicion as well. I have an 02 Cambio. It's really tight when trying to turn the key and I'm afraid I'll break the key. I'll try the WD40 and see what happens.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 03:27 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 548

Try pushing down on top of trunk while turning key - the key only needs to turn a little bit to open the trunk - you will not experience the usual "pop" that you may be expecting.

"If you haven't seen the future you haven't gone fast enough!"

2003 Maserati CC Black/Cuoio
1986 Mercedes 560 SL Black/Palomino
Old 01-14-2009, 03:32 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 548

By the way - after you change the battery turn the ignition key 2-3 times to the position right before starting and let all systems reset before you crank it up (per my mechanic). Good luck!

"If you haven't seen the future you haven't gone fast enough!"

2003 Maserati CC Black/Cuoio
1986 Mercedes 560 SL Black/Palomino
Old 01-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 722

The owner's manual says to turn it on and wait 30 sec before starting after an electrical outage.

2006 GS Spyder
2007 Lexus Rx400h
2011 Nissan Leaf EV
Old 01-14-2009, 05:35 PM
InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 327
Send a message via MSN to PacoSaca

...just went through the same situation here; pushing the lid down and turning the key just like borgenhard adviced did the trick for me.

Now on the dead battery, my problem was deeper than that... the alternator went bad and that is what sucked all the power from my battery, had to buy a new alternator and will be getting my car back tomorrow.

Good luck with yours...

Paco Saca
Old 01-14-2009, 07:30 PM

I tried pushing down on the trunk, but no luck. Supposedly there's a safty release cable somewhere that should open the trunk, but I'm not sure where it is. Does anyone know where it might be located? I need to comb through the manual and see if it says anything.

thanks for all the advice.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 225
Default Paco, what did the alternator set you back?

I have a suspicion mine is going bad.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 327
Send a message via MSN to PacoSaca

fpliu, the safety cable to open the trunk that you are looking for is inside the trunk so that does not solve anything for you unless you remove your back seat and crawl into the trunk to pull it open... I went through the manual and the only solution I can think of is to get one of those battery chargers that give you a jump start through the cigarrette lighter aqnd charge it up just enough to open your trunk.

D, the "stealership" here in El Salvador did not have the alternator so I called the "stealership" in Miami, The Collection... they did not have it either but they could order it for me for the bargain price of $1,195.00 + 7% sales tax so I thought I would look for a more reasonable solution.

A quick search on ebay hooked me up with BNR PARTS ALTERNATORS AND STARTERS, they had it for $325.00 plus $19.95 shipping and handling. They shipped it to Miami and my sister who was there at the time brought it down to El Salvador yesterday.
...vrooom vroooooom

Paco Saca
Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-squared View Post
I have a suspicion mine is going bad.
Don't do what I did. Change it out right away. When I find out what Battery my shop uses I'll post it. I read a lot here about people using Interstate or Optima, etc. I think my shop uses a gel cell
Old 01-14-2009, 09:03 PM

[QUOTE=PacoSaca;50018]fpliu, the safety cable to open the trunk that you are looking for is inside the trunk so that does not solve anything for you unless you remove your back seat and crawl into the trunk to pull it open... I went through the manual and the only solution I can think of is to get one of those battery chargers that give you a jump start through the cigarrette lighter aqnd charge it up just enough to open your trunk.

Thanks. I love Italian engineering!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 695

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliu View Post
Thanks. I love Italian engineering!
That is why we are all here!

Brian - 2005 Spyder CC
Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 1,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliu View Post
That's my suspicion as well. I have an 02 Cambio. It's really tight when trying to turn the key and I'm afraid I'll break the key. I'll try the WD40 and see what happens.

Thanks
Just a slight bit of powered graphite on the key before you put it in will make it even better... You can buy it at your local hardware store.

Machines are fixed with tools and parts, people are fixed with kindness and understanding.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:08 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
That is why we are all here!
The trunk release cable is actually a safety feature to allow you to escape from inside your trunk should you happen to fall in and have the top close on you!

2011 Tesla S
2005 Maserati Quattroporte
2004 Panoz Esperante
2001 Lincoln LS Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.