Upper ball joint - Maserati Forum

Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Modern Maserati Coupe, Spyder, GS ::

Upper ball joint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 115
Default Upper ball joint

Seems I have a little play in the right front upper ball joint. Is this common, and is it easy to replace?

Maserati 2004 coupe CC Jaguar 1997 XK8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:50 AM
InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 786

My friend there should not be any play in any of the ball joints. If the ball joint is bad you more than likely are going to replace the entire upper control arm. I say more than likely because though I've heard talk about someone machining theirs out, and putting a different type in, this is the only case for that situation that I know of. just curious was your ball joint boot torn already, or is it still sealed? They are pretty expensive brand new, but you can get one used on ebay as well here's a link for one of the cheaper ones:

05 Maserati M128 4200 Coupe GT Front Right Passenger Wishbone Upper Control Arm | eBay
Old 08-08-2013, 01:10 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 43

As an option, front upper ball joints are available and actually easier to replace than most as they are bolt in units. The end of the upper control arm containing the ball joint is held on with two bolts as shown in the link below (item #3)

Maserati Parts USA - Front Suspension
Old 08-08-2013, 03:50 AM
InnerCircle

Good look 955, I don't know why I was thinking that the fronts are like the rears but you are absolutely correct. I have been focused on the rears a lot lately for a project I am working on. I wish they would have made the rears like the fronts but that's another story.....thank you for the correction. Funny thing is you could see that in the ebay link as well! LOL
Here's a link for a brand new one for $165.90 and you could get it cheaper by being a member there.

http://www.maseratinet.com/pc-21810-...ont-upper.aspx

Here's another link for one that says GB 76.48 which is I think $118.45 U.S. Dollars....it's the 13th item down in the list under part number: 386600129. Not sure what shipping would be:
http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/alfieri2500c.htm

Last edited by Craig; 08-08-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:05 PM

I do think it is odd.. The play in the ball joint is up and down. I have a little experience with front ends... Normally the play is from side to side. Normal???
Are there any issues to remove and replace? Looks easy.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:51 PM
InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodpkd View Post
I do think it is odd.. The play in the ball joint is up and down. I have a little experience with front ends... Normally the play is from side to side. Normal???
Are there any issues to remove and replace? Looks easy.
Kodpkd......are you saying that when you put a pry bar under the tire when you pull up on it, it then moves in an up/down motion? If so that "sounds" like it is the ball joint. If with the tire off the ground you can shake the tire side to side (like you were steering it) that would more than likely be your tie rod (either inner or outer). If I do understand you correctly in either case there is to be no play in it. I have a bad tie rod end I recently took out of a customers BMW X5 that I could possibly upload a video for you to show the difference if it would help out, or if you need a procedure to help you be sure about it....I could possibly upload a video of that as well. Another option would be is if you could upload a video to show us what it's doing, and then shoot the camera around the back of it close to the ball joint/tie rod assemblies so that we can see what's moving like you see it. (As a side note did you check your control arm bushings? I am trying to think of the motion you're speaking of and all of the points of interest that would make the movement with no other available data.)
It doesn't look that complicated to remove but you are going to need a ball joint separator at some point when you undertake the operation.

Last edited by Craig; 08-08-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:17 PM

With the tire off..... I use a bar to move the upper A arm up and down. It has about 1/8 inch play. Up and down. Since Feb, I have noticed a sound when I hit the right bump. I have a ball joint coming. I hope this fixes the noise. I will give a DIY, when finished.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:02 AM
InnerCircle

Quote:
With the tire off..... I use a bar to move the upper A arm up and down. It has about 1/8 inch play. Up and down. Since Feb, I have noticed a sound when I hit the right bump. I have a ball joint coming. I hope this fixes the noise. I will give a DIY, when finished.
Okay that's great! So you found it.....definitely sounds like the ball joint.....good luck and I look forward to it!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Default Why is it always something...

Well,,,,,,,, I got the bad ball joint off... I recieved the new one in the mail. all is good right????? NOT!!!!!!!!!! The new one has a smaller tappered shaft than the old one. It wont fit. I checked the part number for the 2002-2006 Maserati's,,,, same part number. The guy where I ordered it, checked my VIN number and did some cross checking. All the ball joints have the same part number from 2002-2005 386600129... WTF!! Anybody know if there is a different, beefed up front end for some of the 2004 maser????

Last edited by kodpkd; 08-14-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-14-2013, 07:43 PM
InnerCircle

Quote:
Well,,,,,,,, I got the bad ball joint off... I recieved the new one in the mail. all is good right????? NOT!!!!!!!!!! The new one has a smaller tappered shaft than the old one. It wont fit. I checked the part number for the 2002-2005 Maserati's,,,, same part number. The guy where I ordered it, checked my VIN number and did some cross checking. All the ball joints have the same part number 2002-2005... WTF!! Anybody know if there is a different, beefed up front end for the 2004 maser????
Wow that doesn't sound right! Can you upload some photos? I wonder if they phased out the old ball joint manufacturer and the new one was giving new specs. Man sorry to hear that! I know you were excited to get your car apart and back together again! If you can take some pics with your camera phone.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:17 PM

The part I received has a 19 mm nut on the end. The one off the car has a big 22 mm nut. I got a hold of a Maserati dealer that has them in stock...... He measured the nut,,,, hummm 22 mm. So I ordered another one.. Sending the other one back.. Be careful where you order your parts from. I think someone screwed up and remanufactured these ball joints and put the wrong shaft in them.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:51 PM
InnerCircle

Quote:
The part I received has a 19 mm nut on the end. The one off the car has a big 22 mm nut. I got a hold of a Maserati dealer that has them in stock...... He measured the nut,,,, hummm 22 mm. So I ordered another one.. Sending the other one back.. Be careful where you order your parts from. I think someone screwed up and remanufactured these ball joints and put the wrong shaft in them.
Glad you got it worked out.....I know it was a hassle but the good thing is you actually have a solution. It would have been really frustrating to find out that you weren't able to find one.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:42 AM

Wish I can post a pic on here. Seems difficult.

Last edited by kodpkd; 08-15-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: sp
Old 08-15-2013, 12:58 AM
InnerCircle

I use picasa web albums you can sign up for free for the picture hosting. Then you can upload them there and link for the picture can be used here. But you need somewhere to host your pics first. Just google picasa web albums
Old 08-17-2013, 12:11 AM

Installed the new "Maserati" ball joint.. All worked good. We will see if I get my money back from the parts house that sold the bad BJ.... I posted a DIY.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.