LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 Old 07-01-2013, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heater / AC not working

Hi,

So my heat/AC and fans are all not working in my 2006 GS. If I turn on the unit from Off to Auto I get very little airflow. I don't hear the ducts open like they use to. No matter what I knob I turn, temp, fan or settings nothing happens. I click Econ off and the very first time you hear something as if the AC compressor starts but if I turn that off and on after that no more sound from the engine. I can't tell if the first click actually clicks on the AC or not.

When I click on the Econ button again it will blink about 6 times then the light goes solid, I can't remember if it did that before.

I checked my battery, it was 12.20V, is that voltage fine? I read that a low battery could cause problems.

I checked all Fuses and they all looked fine.

Any ideas what I can check next? How do I test relays? I was thinking I may need to check them next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 07-01-2013, 10:56 PM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 2,163
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Is that 12.2V at idle, or engine off or what? Is it taken from the battery with a proper meter, or from the dash gauge?

You could *try* the reset, which is to hold down both econ and re-circ buttons until the display on the dash flashes. It'll then produce a code which may, or may not be useful. There doesn't not seem to be a defintive list, and I've never found this to actually fix my rather tempremental aircon.
Is your car right, or left hand drive?
The main connector to the blower is on the left hand side, under the dash (at least on my RHD 4200). I have some issues with it that means it sometimes provides no power to the fan. This causes similar symptoms as well.

HTH

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
4.2 GT Automatic, 147 TS, Sprint 1.7
post #3 of 64 Old 07-01-2013, 11:30 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
There is also a way to reset the HVAC by doing a reset when you start up the car. I can't remember off the top of my head but do a search on the web site about an AC reset.
if the battery reset and me HVAC reset both don't work and all fuses and relays are working it may be the HVAC unit itself. I had to replace mine as I would get very light blow when fans were on, and the "low batt"would display on the NIT under the fan level indicator.

2002 Maserati Spyder CC - Grigio Nuvolari - TUBI exhaust, upgraded fuel rails and injectors, FD performance air filter.
Ultimate pedals, Carbon fiber steering wheel, Carbon fiber Shift paddles, FD DBWEM, cup holder from 2006 installed, & my plastic window roof upgraded to a glass window!!!

Other vehicles:
2004 Chrysler Crossfire/2008 Racing Bathtub

post #4 of 64 Old 07-01-2013, 11:45 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
HVAC Reset

Ah...found it. Try this next:

With the ignition off, turn the left hand rotary knob to full cold, the middle and right hand rotary knobs to Auto, press the recirc and econ buttons together and whilst still pressed, turn the ignition on. Keep them pressed until the green lights start flashing then release. When the lights stop flashing the reset is complete.

2002 Maserati Spyder CC - Grigio Nuvolari - TUBI exhaust, upgraded fuel rails and injectors, FD performance air filter.
Ultimate pedals, Carbon fiber steering wheel, Carbon fiber Shift paddles, FD DBWEM, cup holder from 2006 installed, & my plastic window roof upgraded to a glass window!!!

Other vehicles:
2004 Chrysler Crossfire/2008 Racing Bathtub
post #5 of 64 Old 07-02-2013, 12:35 AM

InnerCircle

Oh, didn't know that one, thanks, Tubber.

C

post #6 of 64 Old 07-02-2013, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmanv2 View Post
Is that 12.2V at idle, or engine off or what? Is it taken from the battery with a proper meter, or from the dash gauge?

You could *try* the reset, which is to hold down both econ and re-circ buttons until the display on the dash flashes. It'll then produce a code which may, or may not be useful. There doesn't not seem to be a defintive list, and I've never found this to actually fix my rather tempremental aircon.
Is your car right, or left hand drive?
The main connector to the blower is on the left hand side, under the dash (at least on my RHD 4200). I have some issues with it that means it sometimes provides no power to the fan. This causes similar symptoms as well.

HTH

C
Thanks for the help!

12.20V is with my meter directly on the battery with the car off. My steering wheel is on the left side, for US.

I held the 2 buttons and I get this code: AAOO

Any idea what that means? To reset the battery, will turning the switch off next to the battery be enough or do I need to un-plug the negitive terminal? Is this worth a try?

Also, I do get the E display.
post #7 of 64 Old 07-02-2013, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubber273 View Post
Ah...found it. Try this next:

With the ignition off, turn the left hand rotary knob to full cold, the middle and right hand rotary knobs to Auto, press the recirc and econ buttons together and whilst still pressed, turn the ignition on. Keep them pressed until the green lights start flashing then release. When the lights stop flashing the reset is complete.
I just did this, and I got this code, AA9265. Then, the CEL light went on, I read the code and it came back with P0071. Now, I had this before and had cleared it about 3 weeks ago.

Any idea what this means, and is it worth doing a battery rest?
post #8 of 64 Old 07-02-2013, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmanv2 View Post
C
Was the connector just lose or you had to replace it? I will look to see if I can find it, not sure what it would look like though.
post #9 of 64 Old 07-02-2013, 01:57 AM

InnerCircle

12.2 is fine for car off, be interesting to see what it would be when idling.
No idea what AA00 means, unfortunately. The only one I'm pretty sure on is AA55 which happens on mine when the temp drops and the flaps get a tiny bit sticky.
Battery reset is fine by turning the switch. Give it a few hours, or overnight if you like.
As for the connector, I've not had to replace it *yet*....
It's difficult to see. Large, square, black, right under the dash. Not sure how I can describe it as clearly your underdash in that area is different from mine.
One thing, however, is there is clearly some kind of system check going on because even when I'd fixed the connector, I still had to reboot the HVAC by turning the ignition off and back on again.

C

post #10 of 64 Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 2,888
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maseray View Post
I just did this, and I got this code, AA9265. Then, the CEL light went on, I read the code and it came back with P0071. Now, I had this before and had cleared it about 3 weeks ago.

Any idea what this means, and is it worth doing a battery rest?
IIRC it's ambient air temp. Since you have hvac problems, I would check the sensor under the mirror.

Dave
2006 Coupe CC Blu Nettuno Vintage with Forgestar wheels, FD: DBWEM & springs , BMC filter, SuperSprint De-Cat, custom cat delete headers, custom x-pipe with 100cell race cats, RRP valves, G&S Exclusive Granturismo front bumper
post #11 of 64 Old 07-02-2013, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdave View Post
IIRC it's ambient air temp. Since you have hvac problems, I would check the sensor under the mirror.
Is this on the rear view mirror?
post #12 of 64 Old 07-02-2013, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

First off, I want to thank everyone for helping!! I'm new to this car so I'm still learning. I found this post.

So it seems the sensor is in the passenger side mirror, and it looks like I have to take the door panel off in order to get to it. I moved the mirrors up so I could look in and it does look like the sensor is in the passenger side only, I see a plug in there. I hate to take off the panel for this.

Just wondering, has this solved this type of problem for someone? I do have the E message in the display, in fact I had seen that before the problem started.

Last edited by maseray; 07-02-2013 at 04:06 PM.
post #13 of 64 Old 07-02-2013, 04:49 PM

InnerCircle

I have had the sensor fail on an Alfa 156. As far as I know it's the same part. The results were 'similar' although I had outside temp readings of 145F.

The sensor is just on the one side. Door panel removal is one of the easiest I've done. It's mostly screwed on, which makes a refreshing change.
I'm not sure I'd be swapping the mirror, just to see, unless I got a very cheap one lying around. FWIW it's the same as the Alfa 166 mirror as far as I know.

C

post #14 of 64 Old 07-02-2013, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

I ordered the Temp sensor today, once I get it I will replace it and let you guys know if it helps.
post #15 of 64 Old 07-03-2013, 05:12 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 284
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I responded to Maseray in a direct message too, but for others I'll mention that if you get the Ambient Temp Sensor code, it will keep the AC from working, whether in Auto or manual settings. This is a really bad design IMO - manual climate settings should do what the driver says irrespective of the ambient temp sensor - it really sucks if your sensor goes out on a hot day; no AC...

The car throws a CEL because apparently that same temp sensor is used in part of the emissions feedback loop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode