Supercharger Kit - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 Old 03-31-2013, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Supercharger Kit

Every single one of my friends have moved on to GT-R's and I do not want to be one of them. I enjoy being different! But please help me at least stay up with them :P I patiently await Formula Dynamics forced induction options for the 4.2L engine hopefully making the 650+ hp crank for no more than the $15k as previously discussed. This engine deserves to go faster!

'02 Maserati Coupé CambioCorsa (Grigio Touring on Blue Spaziale)
Same color combo as featured on Top Gear !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 03-31-2013, 12:36 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 108
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
More Power for my GT

I'm in the same boat. Been really eyeing the GTR supersilver also but love my QP. So sad. I know they have superchargers for the 4.7.(around 30K) But I would think there are a lot of 4.2 owners with the F1 that would love one (maybe)
post #3 of 77 Old 03-31-2013, 03:39 PM
SMU

Maserati Life Posts: 62
I'm having Twin superchargers or possibly Twin turbos installed in my GS over the summer. superchargers should put me at 650 and TT's more around 750. engine will be built and i'm gonna beef up the tranny a little too. I have a thread on here about it but it's kind of hit a pause due to the shop's schedule

2006 Gransport - Bianco Fuji Pearlescent
2012 CLS63 AMG - Black
1968 Camaro SS 468BBC. 700whp

Family Cars:
2010 Bentley SuperSports
2006 F430 Scuderia
2008 Porsche Cayenne S
2009 Chevy 2500HD
2013 Audi a7

post #4 of 77 Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 5,887
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Silex840;183156I patiently await Formula Dynamics forced induction options for the 4.2L engine hopefully making the 650+ hp crank for no more than the $15k as previously discussed. This engine deserves to go faster![/QUOTE]
Is FD resurrecting that project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colekatie View Post
I'm in the same boat. Been really eyeing the GTR supersilver also but love my QP. So sad. I know they have superchargers for the 4.7.(around 30K) But I would think there are a lot of 4.2 owners with the F1 that would love one (maybe)
There is at least one company that was selling a SC kit for the 4.2. Similar price. It was running around $30K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMU View Post
I'm having Twin superchargers or possibly Twin turbos installed in my GS over the summer. superchargers should put me at 650 and TT's more around 750. engine will be built and i'm gonna beef up the tranny a little too. I have a thread on here about it but it's kind of hit a pause due to the shop's schedule
I applaud you for taking this on. The hardest part will be the transmission. These clutches have a hard time with 400hp, I can't imagine clutch life with a 650 hp engine. What is your guess? Maybe 5K miles at most in between clutch changes?

https://www.instagram.com/revtravis/

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
post #5 of 77 Old 04-01-2013, 03:23 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 467
Is it the clutches or the F1 system that has trouble and would need to be upgraded?

I too am wondering where more power could be purchased. Love my car - just want to make it go faster.

06 Coupe GT
X-Pipe
Decats
DBW
FD ECU
GS Wheels
post #6 of 77 Old 04-01-2013, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 2,888
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisJ View Post
These clutches have a hard time with 400hp, I can't imagine clutch life with a 650 hp engine. What is your guess? Maybe 5K miles at most in between clutch changes?
It seems to me that the clutch issue is mostly at lower power settings/engine speeds. Once the engine is in the power band, there doesn't seem to much problem. Am I missing something? The torque applied to the transmission however, will likely need to be sorted out. I have no idea if it will handle that much more torque.

Dave
2006 Coupe CC Blu Nettuno Vintage with Forgestar wheels, FD: DBWEM & springs , BMC filter, SuperSprint De-Cat, custom cat delete headers, custom x-pipe with 100cell race cats, RRP valves, G&S Exclusive Granturismo front bumper
post #7 of 77 Old 04-01-2013, 04:21 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 1,542
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
How many hp do the Trofeo cars produce? I believe they are in that ballpark and that the remainder of the power train is the same. Should be no need to beef up anything.....except your boxers.

2006 GranSport
1967 Mistral
post #8 of 77 Old 04-01-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBigs View Post
How many hp do the Trofeo cars produce? I believe they are in that ballpark and that the remainder of the power train is the same. Should be no need to beef up anything.....except your boxers.
Trofeos were/are only about 5% more powerful than a stock 4200 I think. Something like 420bhp.

06 Coupe GT
X-Pipe
Decats
DBW
FD ECU
GS Wheels
post #9 of 77 Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdave View Post
It seems to me that the clutch issue is mostly at lower power settings/engine speeds. Once the engine is in the power band, there doesn't seem to much problem. Am I missing something? The torque applied to the transmission however, will likely need to be sorted out. I have no idea if it will handle that much more torque.
Clutches are worn by heat and slipping. Lots of extra HP would create more of both. The reason clutches are worn the most at lower speeds is because that is where the most slipping happens. More power would make slipping even worse.

The problem with "upgraded" clutches is that we have yet to see someone pull it off. As you know, there are many threads on new clutch material attempts for F1 transmission cars and not a single report of success.

Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
post #10 of 77 Old 04-02-2013, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 2,888
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisJ View Post
Clutches are worn by heat and slipping. Lots of extra HP would create more of both. The reason clutches are worn the most at lower speeds is because that is where the most slipping happens. More power would make slipping even worse.

The problem with "upgraded" clutches is that we have yet to see someone pull it off. As you know, there are many threads on new clutch material attempts for F1 transmission cars and not a single report of success.
I understand what causes clutches to wear and my point was more that the slipping would normally occur more at lower engine speeds before the torque has built up either boosted or not. Yes, if you hammer it off the line and try to get engagement at 3000rpm, you would have more torque applied and therefore more difficulty ending the slipping that started when the clutch is released. The Maserati does not slip at max torque now, the question is; what is the maximum torque the clutch will allow before slipping. Horse power has little to do with this. It's only a time component for measuring work. That's why motorcycles can have lots of HP and still use tiny little multi-plate clutches: they only produce so much torque, and of that, only so much can be applied to the ground. Increase the torque too much by fitting bigger tires and longer swing-arms and find out how strong that clutch is. Torque is what causes clutches to slip and transmissions to break. That's why they rate them for torque and not HP. I stole some dyno charts off the internet that show down to the typical rpm 's the clutch engages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0710_1_z+2008_lexus_isf+dyno_graph.jpg
Views:	1946
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	14255   Click image for larger version

Name:	dyno.jpg
Views:	1623
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	14256  

Dave
2006 Coupe CC Blu Nettuno Vintage with Forgestar wheels, FD: DBWEM & springs , BMC filter, SuperSprint De-Cat, custom cat delete headers, custom x-pipe with 100cell race cats, RRP valves, G&S Exclusive Granturismo front bumper
post #11 of 77 Old 04-02-2013, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 712
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colekatie View Post
Knowing other Mas owners are in the same boat makes me not feel alone in this decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMU View Post
What is the link to this project? I want to subscribe as I am very curious on the TT project side of things!

'02 Maserati Coupé CambioCorsa (Grigio Touring on Blue Spaziale)
Same color combo as featured on Top Gear !!
post #12 of 77 Old 04-02-2013, 06:35 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 216
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Do you think this will really happen?
For the 4200/GS the numbers made and current value, the youngest will be 6 years old, the cost of the conversion will be as much as the car is worth, certainly for the earlier ones.
Just can't see it being commercially viable?

2002 4200 Cambiocorsa Coupe
1974 Triumph Stag
2010 BMW 3 series Touring M Sport
post #13 of 77 Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 PM

Like most modifications---it is not an investment. Nobody buys a supercharger thinking that it is adding value to their car, so the relative cost of the conversion to the value of the car is immaterial. The cost of the conversion must be related to the value that the potential buyer places on the results - a faster Maserati 4200. If it is worth $15k or $30k for that matter for the buyer to have a 4200 that can keep up with his GTR buddies, then they will be a buyer.

The commercial viability of the project would then be a function of the cost to research, design, test, manufacture the kit and the number of buyers who value the kit enough to purchase it at a certain price point. If there are enough buyers to recoup the investment then it is commercially viable. Nobody is suggesting that a maker is going to be supporting themselves on these kits but so long as they don't lose money, a shop like FD would add this to their bag of tricks. They make a bit of profit and gain notoriety for having done something few others have accomplished.

06 Coupe GT
X-Pipe
Decats
DBW
FD ECU
GS Wheels
post #14 of 77 Old 04-02-2013, 03:07 PM

If keeping up with GTRs is the goal, I think a GranTurismo is a much better starting point. Why not start with that platform and eliminate the need to wrestle with the F1 system?

post #15 of 77 Old 04-02-2013, 03:07 PM
SMU

Maserati Life Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silex840 View Post

What is the link to this project? I want to subscribe as I am very curious on the TT project side of things!
It's on page 2 i believe. as "TT GS build thread" or "Here We go...."

It will definitely be roughly 35-40k but i'm trying to make this car into the ultimate sleeper and one that i can keep forever. I already have extremely rare paint (1 of 14 US) and i'm just trying to add to that. and most likely underground racing will be building it so hopefully they make a video

2006 Gransport - Bianco Fuji Pearlescent
2012 CLS63 AMG - Black
1968 Camaro SS 468BBC. 700whp

Family Cars:
2010 Bentley SuperSports
2006 F430 Scuderia
2008 Porsche Cayenne S
2009 Chevy 2500HD
2013 Audi a7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode