Sticky buttons - Page 3 - Maserati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 161 Old 08-27-2012, 06:43 PM
 
285ferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast
Maserati Life Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AERspyder View Post
Some of the users asked for pics in your previous thread months ago, but you never provided them. Can we see some up close pics of your work?
285ferrari is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 161 Old 08-27-2012, 08:18 PM
 
AERspyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Maserati Life Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 285ferrari View Post
Some of the users asked for pics in your previous thread months ago, but you never provided them. Can we see some up close pics of your work?
Here you go... the shroud around the steering wheel base was super sticky and gummy (picture #1 is in the gummy/sticky state, picture #2 is after the oven cleaner and sanding & picture #8 is the final product with plasti-dip), as per the instructions I posted in the thread, I used oven cleaner for the bulk of the gummy stuff, the rubbing alcohol and finally a light sand. then sprayed 2-3 coats (i don't remember if it was exactly 2 or 3 coats) of the Plasti Dip spray to get the final result.

the buttons where scratched up, though the picture is from a recent few scratches and the touch ups I just did a little while ago... not how bad they originally where. The original state was much worst, so they where touched up to a pretty heavy extent (instructions in the thread as well). The buttons around the Nav where all scratched up originally as well, and using this same method I slowly touched them all up with both the end of a q-tip (multiple coats of light dabbing) and used a paper matchstick cut at an angle with scissors to get in between the lettering & numbers around the Navigation unit while still preserving the original prints.

my ashtray cover was badly scratched, so I sanded and sprayed with plasti dip too.

This method is by no means ablsolutely perfect or back to "as new"... But they look & feel great and it all together cost me under $10, plus some elbow grease to do. If you want to pass it as a new car or show car interior, you'll have to spend to either get new ones from the dealer or have them refurbed by someone like sticky-no-more.

but again, they look great for very little cost.

See pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1774.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	12280   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1775.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	12281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1776.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	12282   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	12283   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1777.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	12284  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	12285   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	12286   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo5.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	12287   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo6.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	12288   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	12289  


--------------------------------------------------------------------
Rosso Mondiale on Cuoio hides Spyder ....Sold....
Formula Dynamics Drive By Wire
Formula Dynamics Sport Springs
Formula Dynamics Carbon Kevlar Pads
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Denso Iridium Plugs
Larini X-Pipe and DeCats
AERspyder is offline  
post #33 of 161 Old 08-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Moderator
 
TravisJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Maserati Life Posts: 5,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looks great. How does the texture compare to the original?

https://www.instagram.com/revtravis/

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
TravisJ is offline  
 
post #34 of 161 Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 PM
 
AERspyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Maserati Life Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisJ View Post
Looks great. How does the texture compare to the original?
Thanks Travis! Yes, I thought it ended up looking better than I even expected. The texture is nearly identical to the factory finish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Rosso Mondiale on Cuoio hides Spyder ....Sold....
Formula Dynamics Drive By Wire
Formula Dynamics Sport Springs
Formula Dynamics Carbon Kevlar Pads
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Denso Iridium Plugs
Larini X-Pipe and DeCats
AERspyder is offline  
post #35 of 161 Old 08-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Sponsor
Sponsor
 
Lorenz-06MT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarasota fl.
Maserati Life Posts: 4,120
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Lorenz-06MT
AER spyder,,, i think u did a pretty good job,,looks great to me
Lorenz-06MT is offline  
post #36 of 161 Old 08-27-2012, 09:48 PM
 
285ferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast
Maserati Life Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AERspyder View Post
Here you go... the shroud around the steering wheel base was super sticky and gummy (picture #1 is in the gummy/sticky state, picture #2 is after the oven cleaner and sanding & picture #8 is the final product with plasti-dip), as per the instructions I posted in the thread, I used oven cleaner for the bulk of the gummy stuff, the rubbing alcohol and finally a light sand. then sprayed 2-3 coats (i don't remember if it was exactly 2 or 3 coats) of the Plasti Dip spray to get the final result.

the buttons where scratched up, though the picture is from a recent few scratches and the touch ups I just did a little while ago... not how bad they originally where. The original state was much worst, so they where touched up to a pretty heavy extent (instructions in the thread as well). The buttons around the Nav where all scratched up originally as well, and using this same method I slowly touched them all up with both the end of a q-tip (multiple coats of light dabbing) and used a paper matchstick cut at an angle with scissors to get in between the lettering & numbers around the Navigation unit while still preserving the original prints.

my ashtray cover was badly scratched, so I sanded and sprayed with plasti dip too.

This method is by no means ablsolutely perfect or back to "as new"... But they look & feel great and it all together cost me under $10, plus some elbow grease to do. If you want to pass it as a new car or show car interior, you'll have to spend to either get new ones from the dealer or have them refurbed by someone like sticky-no-more.

but again, they look great for very little cost.

See pics:
So you never stripped the buttons down, you just touched them up here and there? BIG difference stripping them all the way down and only having a touch up here and there.

You got lucky and had some decent buttons that were not bad. Here is a pic of bad ones a customer had, no touching these up. You would have no choice but to totally refinish. No amount of Plasti Dip will help these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014 [800x600].JPG
Views:	293
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	12290   Click image for larger version

Name:	009 [800x600].JPG
Views:	292
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	12291  
285ferrari is offline  
post #37 of 161 Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 PM
 
AERspyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Maserati Life Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok yes, I suppose if the printed buttons are in fact that bad, then yes, simply touching them up wouldn't fix them.

Look, I am not posting these here to argue with you as to what you can do better... This is a forum. and as with any other forum, it is here so people like us (the maserati owners) can exchange ideas, methods, thoughts & experiences about our mutual interest (the maseratis we own). In most cases, the buttons on our cars are not that bad, not bad enough to replace or send out for refurbishing. I am only putting up my own experiences to help others on this forum.

After all, you asked me for pictures.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Rosso Mondiale on Cuoio hides Spyder ....Sold....
Formula Dynamics Drive By Wire
Formula Dynamics Sport Springs
Formula Dynamics Carbon Kevlar Pads
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Denso Iridium Plugs
Larini X-Pipe and DeCats
AERspyder is offline  
post #38 of 161 Old 08-28-2012, 01:35 AM
 
285ferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast
Maserati Life Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AERspyder View Post
ok yes, I suppose if the printed buttons are in fact that bad, then yes, simply touching them up wouldn't fix them.

Look, I am not posting these here to argue with you as to what you can do better... This is a forum. and as with any other forum, it is here so people like us (the maserati owners) can exchange ideas, methods, thoughts & experiences about our mutual interest (the maseratis we own). In most cases, the buttons on our cars are not that bad, not bad enough to replace or send out for refurbishing. I am only putting up my own experiences to help others on this forum.

After all, you asked me for pictures.
Those above pics are what we encounter 70% of the time with those buttons. After doing over 300 sets, I have seen some bad buttons.

I had several users PM me thinking what you have done here and there with your own car is what we are doing at Stickynomore. I am just trying to make sure users understand what we do is 50 times different than what you guys do. We don't touch up anything, we strip all parts down to bare plastic or metal and start from scratch. 99% of regular guys do not do that.

Not arguing either, just want users to understand you did not refinish the buttons, you touched up a few bad spots on the buttons. I want users to know there is a huge difference in touching up a few bad buttons and actually stripping them down to bare plastic and starting from scratch.

I think it is great for guys to do there own work and learn about there cars. The only that sucks about that is some users will read various forums and threads and think it is so easy because three users posted how easy there own parts were. Not realizing every car is different and parts vary from car to car on stripping methods and how to solve issues. Only to get in way over there head and ruin parts or break parts, etc. Then a simple refinish job ends up costing hundreds or a thousand more. I have seen that scenario about 20 times. Guys should do as much research as possible and way all options before taking on a job like this. One broken button and your day is done, since you cannot buy another, you have to buy the entire NAV unit.........


We stay plenty busy from all the dealer/shop accounts we have.
285ferrari is offline  
post #39 of 161 Old 08-28-2012, 02:34 AM
 
AERspyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Maserati Life Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I completely get that "70%" of the buttons you get are as bad as the picture you posted. My post has nothing to do with buttons like that.

My post is for the vast majority of us who have buttons which are scratched at some level, but not bad enough to warrant the cost of a complete replacement or complete refinish job BUT YET still have visible scratches. You get 70% or more completely gummy buttons because those are the ones that get to the point where they HAVE to either refinish or replace. The rest of us, can benefit from some creative touch ups. Not for everyone. Though I will eventually tackle the rest of the interior parts from scratch with the proper paint from Alsa or other competitor brand.

Alsa Corp | Soft Feeling Paint

After all, some of us like DIY jobs. It's part of the passion & fun for some of us.

But again, my post is in no way judging your work. As I have no knowledge of your process.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Rosso Mondiale on Cuoio hides Spyder ....Sold....
Formula Dynamics Drive By Wire
Formula Dynamics Sport Springs
Formula Dynamics Carbon Kevlar Pads
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Denso Iridium Plugs
Larini X-Pipe and DeCats
AERspyder is offline  
post #40 of 161 Old 08-28-2012, 12:50 PM
 
285ferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast
Maserati Life Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AERspyder View Post
I completely get that "70%" of the buttons you get are as bad as the picture you posted. My post has nothing to do with buttons like that.

My post is for the vast majority of us who have buttons which are scratched at some level, but not bad enough to warrant the cost of a complete replacement or complete refinish job BUT YET still have visible scratches. You get 70% or more completely gummy buttons because those are the ones that get to the point where they HAVE to either refinish or replace. The rest of us, can benefit from some creative touch ups. Not for everyone. Though I will eventually tackle the rest of the interior parts from scratch with the proper paint from Alsa or other competitor brand.

Alsa Corp | Soft Feeling Paint

After all, some of us like DIY jobs. It's part of the passion & fun for some of us.

But again, my post is in no way judging your work. As I have no knowledge of your process.
Tried the Alsa stuff a long time ago. Good luck with that stuff, you can have it.
285ferrari is offline  
post #41 of 161 Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista
Maserati Life Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Random thought: Sticky no more needs to get a new PR/customer service person. After reading this thread, I wouldn't use sticky no more's service just because of how aggressive and condescending 285ferrari is acting. Wow. Is it that serious?

'06 GS LE Blue with Peanut Butter interior. 100% stock
Synistur is offline  
post #42 of 161 Old 11-13-2012, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Maserati Life Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update

I started this thread with my question about sticky buttons. I had all of the trim pieces refinished by Robbie with Sticky No More, coordinated through Boardwalk Maserati of Dallas who handled removing and reinstalling the trim pieces. Very pleased with the work and I would recommend this solution to anyone with this problem. Thanks, Robbie.
cfriedman is offline  
post #43 of 161 Old 11-13-2012, 02:28 PM
 
esprits4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Millville, MA
Maserati Life Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's difficult to tell from the pictures on the Sticky No More website, but are the symbols on the refurbished buttons white text printed on stick on black labels? In some of the pictures, they look like the button overlays that I have seen offered for other vehicles as a low cost way to repair (or cover up) faded or worn button graphics.

-Gary

'05 Coupe
'03.5 & '95 Lotus Esprits
A few Porsche 928s
esprits4s is offline  
post #44 of 161 Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 PM
 
esprits4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Millville, MA
Maserati Life Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Never mind. I went back and read the thread (I should have read it before posting). It looks like the solution, at least for the Maserati buttons, is to refinish the button to black and then use a sticker for the graphics. That's not something that I would be thrilled with, but I haven't seen any other realistic option for buttons that are totally trashed.

BTW, the vendor could certainly be clearer about their process on the website, IMHO. Maybe they are much more explicit about setting expectations when someone requests a specific quote?

-Gary

'05 Coupe
'03.5 & '95 Lotus Esprits
A few Porsche 928s
esprits4s is offline  
post #45 of 161 Old 11-18-2012, 06:01 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Maserati Life Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For what it's worth, I have had my steering column, my glove box latch and all of my fron A/C vents refinished by StickyNoMore. I was VERY happy with all of the work. I still need to send the ash tray and it's associated console assembly & buttons to him - when I get the time to figure out how to remove it. It may seem a bit pricey, but not compared to ordering new parts.
Need4Speed is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome