Sticky buttons - Page 11 - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 161 Old 06-09-2016, 06:47 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Kind of going off track here, but has anyone tried 3D printing keycap replacements for these? Mid-range printers can handle multiple plastic colors and types, so I would think that you could get the translucent center symbol worked into that also as a single piece, allowing illuminated buttons. This avoids the issue of stripping and painting the whole thing black then having to use appliqués for the button symbol.

I don't really care if the final result hard plastic, similar to the Start button, instead of rubberized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 161 Old 06-10-2016, 01:19 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
3D printers still don't have good enough resolution. The finished part will not look anywhere near as good as a properly refinished part, especially one that has been laser etched as the factory did it (less the sticky soft touch of coarse). And, the cost to 3D print these would be crazy expensive.

- 2008 MGT Nero / Cuoio
- 1998 355 F1 GTS Nero / Beige
- 1995 F355 Berlinetta Rosso Corsa / Beige
- 1995 F355 Berlinetta Rosso Corsa / Nero
post #153 of 161 Old 06-20-2016, 05:10 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 62
I contacted Maserati and they claimed that they had never heard about their cars having sticky buttons. However, my Mechanic tells me that virtually every Maserati made since the late 90's (when they started using the current defective coating) eventually gets sticky buttons. I think that if enough people contact them and complain about the shoddy parts they will eventually do something about it out of fear that people won't buy their shoddy cars anymore.

Maserati could solve this problem easily by making a kit available that contains all of the components that get sticky. Right now, the only way to replace the buttons on the radio are to buy a new radio or have one of the guys who advertises on this website repair the buttons (but they still won't look factory). The radio is horrendously expensive and is 15 or more year old technology. Maserati could sell the buttons separately and then they could be installed in the radio. I can't imagine the buttons cost more than a few cents apiece when Magnetti Marelli buys them when they make the radio. Maserati just needs to go negotiate with Magnetti Marelli and make a deal to buy the buttons separately.

post #154 of 161 Old 06-21-2016, 01:07 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I contacted Maserati and they claimed that they had never heard about their cars having sticky buttons. However, my Mechanic tells me that virtually every Maserati made since the late 90's (when they started using the current defective coating) eventually gets sticky buttons. I think that if enough people contact them and complain about the shoddy parts they will eventually do something about it out of fear that people won't buy their shoddy cars anymore.

Maserati could solve this problem easily by making a kit available that contains all of the components that get sticky. Right now, the only way to replace the buttons on the radio are to buy a new radio or have one of the guys who advertises on this website repair the buttons (but they still won't look factory). The radio is horrendously expensive and is 15 or more year old technology. Maserati could sell the buttons separately and then they could be installed in the radio. I can't imagine the buttons cost more than a few cents apiece when Magnetti Marelli buys them when they make the radio. Maserati just needs to go negotiate with Magnetti Marelli and make a deal to buy the buttons separately.
With all due respect, you clearly are not in the manufacturing business as these parts are far more that "a few cents". The part gets molded, then painted, then laser etched. It's not a few cents. Also, it's not just the buttons - it's other trim pieces such as vents and bezels, etc.

I'm not defending the manufactures for using soft touch coatings that fail, I'm just saying it's far more expensive than you understand.

- 2008 MGT Nero / Cuoio
- 1998 355 F1 GTS Nero / Beige
- 1995 F355 Berlinetta Rosso Corsa / Beige
- 1995 F355 Berlinetta Rosso Corsa / Nero
post #155 of 161 Old 07-09-2016, 03:47 AM

Well, "a few cents" was a bit of artistic license. However, I don't believe the cost is far off from that. The buttons on the maserati radio are really no different than the ones that come on a $99 Clarion radio at Pep Boys. The reason a Maserati radio costs so much is 1. Maserati marks them up 100 or 200 percent or more above what they pay Magneti Marelli for the radio. Magneti charges Maserati a lot more for the Maserati radio than an Alpine would cost because they have to set up production and then just produce a small number of radios vs the hundreds of thousands that Alpine would sell.

That said, once the molds are built, forms and tooling built, etc the actual cost to make 20001 buttons instead of 20000 is very low. I would be surprised if an individual button cost the manufacturer more than a few cents, however, let's splurge and say they cost a dollar each. The point is I can't buy that button for a dime or a dollar or $1000 dollars. The only way to buy it is to buy the whole radio.

The same thing goes for all the other parts that get sticky. The vents cost about $60 at the dealer. I don't imagine Maserati pays more than $15 for them, if that.

Like I said, you or I can't go to the manufacturer of the radio buttons or the plastic piece that goes around the mirror switch or the buttons for the AC and Vent and Sport button. However, Maserati could do it with a couple phone calls to their suppliers.

If Maserati wanted to do the right thing about this problem they would contact their suppliers and order just the parts that get sticky. Not the whole mirror switch but just the sticky surround. Not the whole ventilation assembly but just the buttons that go on the assembly. Etc Etc. Then they would assemble all the parts into a kit that they would sell to customers either at cost or at a reasonable markup above cost. I'll bet that Maserati could easily sell a kit containing all sticky parts brand new for a couple hundred dollars (an probably still make a profit).

Buying all of the assemblies required to replace the sticky buttons from Maserati would cost way north of $10,000.

Normally, if a Maserati part broke you could just go to a junker and get the part there. However, you can't really do that for sticky buttons since if you buy the button used it's either already sticky or will become sticky soon. So, you're stuck.

Anyway, I think if enough customers complained to Maserati it might get them to take notice and put together the kit like I suggest.
post #156 of 161 Old 07-09-2016, 11:02 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 316
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Good idea, I think it stinks that a high end manufacturer like Ferrari and Maserati can produce a faulty product for so many years and not be hit with a class action or consumer demand for the replacement. They have known this has been a problem since the early 90's.
They should offer a free replacement when you have a dealership service this would be a win win.
post #157 of 161 Old 07-13-2016, 03:23 AM

Everyone needs to write to Maserati and complain strongly about this sticky part problem. This problem has existed for more than 20 years and Maserati has done nothing to fix the problem. It's caused by a coating they put on the plastic parts to make them seem more silky. It looks nice when the parts are new but in ten years every Maserati and Ferrari owner is looking at a bill in excess of ten thousand dollars to replace all the defective sticky parts. I asked Maserati to replace my parts because they are defective but Maserati USA told me to pound sand.

I know Maserati is an expensive car to maintain and I'm OK with that. However, paying thousands of dollars to replace parts that failed because Maserati hasn't bothered to fix a defect they have known about for 20 years is just too much.

If everyone started writing Maserati and promising not to buy any of their cars in the future it would make them sit up and take notice. They could easily solve this problem by making available kits containing the various buttons, trim pieces, etc that get sticky. They could even charge for the parts. I don't object to paying for new buttons. I just object to paying thousands for a new radio or vent control simply to replace a few sticky buttons that cannot be purchased separately.
post #158 of 161 Old 07-13-2016, 07:12 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 1,959
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Have you written yet?

C

The Alfisti formerly known as Catman:
4.2 GT Automatic, 147 TS, Sprint 1.7
post #159 of 161 Old 07-13-2016, 02:24 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 16
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
G'day
Is anyone interested in letting me try to fix/de-stick a "sticky" part/s they have?
It doesn't have to be an "in use" part (unless you are prepared to risk it and knowing that you can replace it if I'm not successful). An old/disused sticky part/s would be best.
One of my hobbies is antique and clock collecting/repairing and over the years I have experimented with different formulas, coatings and things. I live in Melbourne Australia.If you're prepared to try it, let me know - if you are local we can organise picking up or collecting, otherwise it can be posted - I am yet to take delivery of my 2005 GS (has some sticky parts) so will address it after I have experimented on old disused parts. I'll return the part/s back to the owner for them to confirm if satisfactory or not.
The more disused / broken parts the better (stickies from any model maser even better) as it will allow me try numerous variations and also test the finish tolerances under various environment condition.
Cheers
Ed
post #160 of 161 Old 07-13-2016, 11:06 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 722
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
^^^

Ed, u hve PM

gs mcv#128
post #161 of 161 Old 07-14-2016, 11:42 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Maserati Life Posts: 4,123
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Lorenz-06MT
I just finished these so they are ready to go,Thanks,,,no clue why the pics are upside down, I cant seem to figure out why that happens,,,thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160709_091733.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	81417   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160713_101619.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	81425   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160714_072602_HDR.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	81433  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode