LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 Old 03-01-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cambiocorsa - what's your clutch life?

All,

I've been looking at getting a GT as I have been worried by the horror stories around the CC going through clutches in under 15K miles.

I'm having a hard time finding a GT in the color combination I want with Skyhook suspension. I ran into a CC owner today who told me he's at 42K miles on his original clutch, so I started thinking about all of the nice CC cars that I have passed up...

I know that clutch life varies, but I'm wondering if a few of you that always drive in manual mode, put the car in neutral when at a stop etc would share what kind of life life they have gotten?

I'm sure others would be interested in seeing this info as well.

Also, is it better to avoid the 2002 CC?

Thanks,
Brian

In the market for a Blue or Red Coupe GT with light interior
1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi (4V motor with supercharger in development)
1997 Lexus ES300

Previous cars owned
1988 Ferrari 328
1970 L46 Corvette convertible - modified

Last edited by fastkarz; 03-01-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: grammer :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 3
You shouldn't be worried about clutch life - this car is made to be driven, mine is my daily drive and I smile every day from the moment I fire up, no matter whether in traffic or on the open road. Mine is Aussie delivered in 2007, brought her 2 years ago with 9990kms - I'm now up to 33,000 - still no sign of missing a beat! Someone once said - if you have to ask how thirsty or how expensive to maintain - maybe its not for you. These are brilliant are brilliant cars.
post #3 of 79 Old 03-02-2012, 10:46 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 4,087
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
If you can/could afford to maintain those F cars, the Maserati wil not be a problem for you.

2005 Coupe GT (true manual) Grigio Palladio/Cuoio
2015 FIAT Abarth Granito Lucente/Nero
2006 GranSport Grigio Alfieri/Nero (fled to the Pacific Northwest)
2005 Quattorporte Blu Nettuno/Cuoio (Gone to parts unknown)
2002 Coupe CC Quarzo Metalica/Cuoio (now the property of our own PhillyMaser16)

post #4 of 79 Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 409
bought my 02 with 12500 on it and replaced clutch at 18200 i didn't drive it hard at all, I'm pretty mellow. When i replaced clutch I installed FDDBW I am still on my second clutch and my milage is 38400 no slipping, no CC light, and I have just barely begun to notice a little chatter as clutch engages from stop.

So by what I have read on these forums I am in the area of needing another clutch but Im gonna see how far i get, I've heard of as high as 50000 on one clutch but I think they were mostly freeway miles.
post #5 of 79 Old 03-02-2012, 03:34 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 717
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Got 42,600 on orginal clutch. Porsche dealer offered me 24K as a trade in.

I have 42,600 on my original clutch. No current slipping, car drives like a beast. I think the key for me was having the TO bearing replaced by the dealer at about 20,000 miles.

I have also spoken with some Maserati techs and they have had a few original clutches go north of 50,000 miles. All depends on how you drive. I only drive in sport, no reverse, coast in neutral to stops. The CC is a BLAST to drive.

If I were you I would consider a clean CC car 04 and older, and as soon as you get a new clutch, get the DBW enhancement and that should really extend your clutch life and enhance your driving experience. Best of both worlds.

I only drive 6,000 miles each year, so I certainly got my monies worth. I got a quote from Carlos at Classic coach, super nice guy, everything was 3,700 plus tax. However, my baby is now going to be sold or most likely traded in on a 2010 GT S. Last week a Porsche dealer offered me 24,000 towards a trade in and Algar in Philly told me they could do that as well.

That gives you an idea what the current trade in value of an 04 CC with 43K miles is. Again it could also be a grand or two higher or lower.

Best of luck in your search. Make sure you get a car you love. These cars offer amazing bang for your buck and are a blast to drive!

CM

11 Black GT-S
04 White CC Tubi ( traded )
11 Range Rover Sport
post #6 of 79 Old 03-02-2012, 04:12 PM

chris 7469 - that sounds like a pretty good offer for your car, considering it come from a dealer. Keep us posted on it.

post #7 of 79 Old 03-02-2012, 08:26 PM

Like Chris7469, only ever drive mine in sport, no reversing uphill and coast to lights in N - foot stays on gas when changing up or down and I don't have DBW. I service / maintain every 5000kms - fresh oil + adjust PIS. Worth every cent.
Nero Carbonio 2007 CC
post #8 of 79 Old 03-03-2012, 11:13 AM

InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 323
Cc clutch life

Just got my clutch changed at 36k said it was 65% worn, could have easily gotten to 50k if the TO bearing wasn't a pain in the neck, so I decided to do everything on my QP. Did install the DBW though at about 25k. Hopefully I can get to 100k with this clutch !

06 QP sport
06 GS spyder
06 GS coupe
post #9 of 79 Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 AM

When I had the '05 QP I had a similar situation. It was the TO bearing but I replace it all.
This seems to be a reasonably common failure, no? I mean more so than wear on the clutch plate itself.

post #10 of 79 Old 03-03-2012, 01:40 PM

Another factor is the PIS setting since less slip = longer clutch life. Factory settings are 4.5-5+. Mine was set after the last clutch replacement at 3.9, giving it really aggressive shifts. The only problem I had was in traffic after driving it really hard. The clutch dumped immediately and would stall the car. A trip back to the dealer, 10 minutes and a few $$ and it was re-set to 4.5 After 3.9, 4.5 resulted in more slip than I wanted, so I returned and had it set splitting the difference. The PIS setting at 4.2 gives a smoother launch, no stalling, and reasonably aggressive shifts. I suppose every car is different, but it's worth the $$ to have the dealer work with you on finding the best setting to balance clutch life and driving preferences.
post #11 of 79 Old 03-03-2012, 05:28 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Hi all great info, i have a question tho, what is DBW and FDDBW?
post #12 of 79 Old 03-03-2012, 07:42 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 283
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Drive By Wire programming upgrade by Formula Dynamics (who are also active on this forum).

http://www.formuladynamics.com/produ...auto_dbwem.php
post #13 of 79 Old 03-03-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaVa View Post
Another factor is the PIS setting since less slip = longer clutch life. Factory settings are 4.5-5+. Mine was set after the last clutch replacement at 3.9, giving it really aggressive shifts. The only problem I had was in traffic after driving it really hard. The clutch dumped immediately and would stall the car. A trip back to the dealer, 10 minutes and a few $$ and it was re-set to 4.5 After 3.9, 4.5 resulted in more slip than I wanted, so I returned and had it set splitting the difference. The PIS setting at 4.2 gives a smoother launch, no stalling, and reasonably aggressive shifts. I suppose every car is different, but it's worth the $$ to have the dealer work with you on finding the best setting to balance clutch life and driving preferences.
Josh @ ECS set mine to 4.3 which seems to suit me (and the car) fine. I agree this PIS setting is very important and especially on the 4200s, needs to be done along with the DBW

post #14 of 79 Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 744
I will offer a counter position that is in no way meant to knock my CC colleagues.

If you spend some time perusing old threads on the forum you will quickly find all manner of problems related to CC cars. These range from short clutch life (for whatever reason), software problems, cars getting stuck in gear, cars refusing to go in to gear, pump failures etc. I recognize that at the same time there are lots of guys who swear by them (an example is this very thread).

There is no way to statistically validate or refute any of these criticisms/ endorsements. What I do notice, however, is that most of the complaints about Maser transmissions came from CC owners – and there are a lot of them. There is little forum traffic criticizing the GT cars other than some comments on notichness and the like which do not really affect cost of operation.

Based on that admittedly simplistic comparison, I elected to go GT and I don’t regret it. I think the manual suits the character of these cars perfectly (e.g. kind of old school).

'10 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT
'04 Maserati Spyder GT
- FD Sport Springs
- FD Big Brake Kit with SS lines
- FD Sway bars
- FD ECM and DBW chips
- BMC air filter
- De-packed front cats, FD high flow main cats with Tubi mufflers
post #15 of 79 Old 03-05-2012, 02:56 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 75
I too chose a GT over a CC more for the old school pleasure of double clutching and rowing the gears myself. Having said that, if I had a CC I would probably be in an alternate nirvana wondering how I ever lived without a flappy paddle. When I bought the car I asked the local dealer their opinion on the matter. The service tech told me that they have not yet replaced the clutch in a GT, but they make their money on CC clutch work.

BB375H is on the money. If you worry about stuff like this, you stop enjoying the car for what it is. Good luck on your choice, no matter what you get, you'll enjoy the experience.

Al

2002 Coupe GT
Rosso Mondiale, Tubi's

14 Tundra
00 Jeep Wrangler
51 Ford 8N
35 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode