Best year? - Maserati Forum

Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Modern Maserati Coupe, Spyder, GS ::

Best year?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 10:19 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 7
Default Best year?

So... I'm in the market for my first Maserati. I didn't dome to the decision lightly, and think I've done a pretty good job of researching the market and cars before comming to this decision. I'm currently in Afghanistan working as a civilian contractor, so I have plenty of time on my hands. My "Cool Car" budget is 20k-35K, which in the used market gave me a LOT of choices. I've looked at everything from Jags, to Porsches, Ferrari 360's, and I keep comming back to Maserati coupes. They just have everything I want (Italian luxury& Style, a Ferrari inspired V8, a back seat, and best of all, the cambiocorssa transmission).
I'm well aware of the short life span of the clutch, and relatively high maintenance costs (because of this my wife made me agree to get a practical car to offset it, so I'm also on the look out for a 30mpg car that isn't totally lame, a used clk230 seems to be the front runner).
Anyways... That's the back story. I've found quite a few nice 2002-2004 coupes with low miles, and good records within my price range. My question is... What is the best year? Also, other than Miles, Service records, and the options I want... Is there ANYTHING in perticular that I need to be looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 76

I think the consensus around here is newer is better. If you are willing to pay 30-35k, I don't see why you couldn't get a '05-'06 CC Coupe. These have the updated GS bumpers. Look at miles, records, options, and then get a PPI.

Not that you asked for it, but I would be careful with used MB cars, depending on the year. I don't have any first hand knowledge, but I've always heard Daimler-Chrysler era MBs suffered in quality. And parts for those ain't cheap either.

2006 Coupe GT
Old 07-07-2011, 12:03 PM
InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 5,882

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEREMIAH2146FA View Post
My "Cool Car" budget is 20k-35K, which in the used market gave me a LOT of choices. I've looked at everything from Jags, to Porsches, Ferrari 360's, and I keep comming back to Maserati coupes.
Where did you find a Ferrari 360 for anywhere even close to $35K????????????

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
Old 07-07-2011, 12:47 PM

Is it mearly a performance/styling improvement for the 05-06, or are there problems with some of the earlier years that were worked out on later models? I've seen several nice 05-06's in my comfort zone price range (which actually shrank after discovering the Value to be had in used Maserati's), but all the really low (sub 20k)mile cars with extensive preventitive care, and great records that I have found have been 2002-2004's. The 05-06's I've found with the same standard have been substantually more expensive. I probably would have been inclined to jump on them had I not discovered how much I like the understated styling of the 02-04's. That said, I am still new to Maserati's and am more than willing to listen to reason if there is some compelling reason to go with a later year.

as to the 360 comment: Off and on over the last few months I've found a couple 99's in the 40k's,that really wasn't meant to be the point of the post though.
Anyways...
Old 07-07-2011, 01:06 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 549

There were some changes from 02 to 03 that are worthwhile (see my post on this forum). From '03 on the changes are mostly cosmetic. The '04 has a cup holder instead of the ash tray so if you like bringing your coffee in the morning this may be the starting year for you.

"If you haven't seen the future you haven't gone fast enough!"

2003 Maserati CC Black/Cuoio
1986 Mercedes 560 SL Black/Palomino
Old 07-07-2011, 04:03 PM
InnerCircle

Quote:
as to the 360 comment: Off and on over the last few months I've found a couple 99's in the 40k's
If you can find a good condition 360 even in the $50s, I'll buy one today. Any links to these cheap Ferraris?

Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
Old 07-07-2011, 04:06 PM
InnerCircle

Quote:
What is the best year?
Buy the newest car you can afford. 2004 is when the Coupes and Sypders started to get good and 2005+ had a bumper facelift. If you prefer a Coupe over a Gransport, go with a 2005/2006. Remeber, never buy without a solid PPI from a mechanic with significant experience working on modern Maseratis.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:58 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 549

I have had a 2003 for three years and 12,000 miles wth ZERO issues so I would take Travis's comment with a grain of salt. My mechanic thinks 2003 on is good and many members here have 2002's that they are very happy with. I think the advise to buy the latest model you can afford is good, but colors, options, mileage, service history etc. also certainly play into the choice.

"If you haven't seen the future you haven't gone fast enough!"

2003 Maserati CC Black/Cuoio
1986 Mercedes 560 SL Black/Palomino
Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 PM
InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 3,902

Travis - I thought the same thing, a 360 for 40K, I'll take two please.

2012 FIAT 500 Prima Edizione #474 Dark Gray/Black (needed it to meet personal CAFE standards)
2004 Cadillac XLR Silver/Black (going strong)
1991 Alfa-Romeo 164L Silver/Nero (the other Pininfarina QuattroPorte)
2006 GranSport Grigio Alfieri/Nero (fled to the Pacific Northwest)
2005 Quattorporte Blu Nettuno/Cuoio (Gone to parts unknown)
2002 Coupe CC Quarzo Mettalic/Cuoio (now the property of our own PhillyMaser16)
Old 07-08-2011, 04:07 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 31

There was one 360 on ebay/cars.com that was right around $55k. However, the only other ones I have ever seen for less are all scams, i.e.: "I'm out of the country in England as part of the Army. I cannot meet you but I can arrange the deal..." Please do not fall for this, it will be a $40k life lesson.

The other Ferrari that seems to be "crashing" in value are the 550s, which seem to be pretty reliable and at least a few people DD them over on F-chat; they seem to be in the $55-60k range. (I also know that the newer 575 are now sub-$100k) 550 seems like a very good DD, especially if not in red b/c they seem to not attract quite as much attention as say a bright red 360.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:13 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 31

TravisJ, I forgot to mention, there is a 360 on autotrader for $60k even. Its a 1999 with higher mileage (42k, although many argue that they getter better with mileage, but I have no personal knowledge), new clutch and belts within last 2k and tubi exhaust. I have no affiliation w/ the car, I have never talked/e-mailed them and have no idea if it is legit or scam. I do know it has been up for sale for like 5-6 months, so they may be willing to deal... just a for what its worth.

Cars for Sale: 1999 Ferrari 360 Modena in WEST COVINA, CA 91790: Coupe Details - 286455113 - AutoTrader.com
Old 07-08-2011, 04:45 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 744

You seem to be quite concerned about cost. If that is the case, I would suggest a late model 6MT car (called a GT) rather than a CC. 2004 - 2005 are the range to look at. Maintenance costs will likely be lower than a CC car of similar vintage.

'10 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT
'04 Maserati Spyder GT
- FD Sport Springs
- FD Big Brake Kit with SS lines
- FD Sway bars
- FD ECM and DBW chips
- BMC air filter
- De-packed front cats, FD high flow main cats with Tubi mufflers
Old 07-08-2011, 08:41 AM

Cost is always a factor, I'm married, and have 3 young kids! (it also doesn't help that my wife thinks that I have too many toys already, and this would be my 2nd "play car")
As for a regular "stick shift", That was what I thought I wanted until I started reading about the cambiocorssa. The CC is what made the Maserati's stand out for me though. Even with the short clutch life, It's really the main attraction.
I think I may have had my main question indirectly answered though by what I "HAVEN'T" heard... I was worried that there might be some serious issues like; "stay away from 2002's because there was a weak whatever bearing that caused premature engine failure" or "whatever you do, don't get one made after this date, because you'll spend $10,000 to have it reprogrammed to run right and pass emmissions"
I could be wrong, but what it sounds like is that a well cared for, low mile example of anything 2002-2006 should be a joy to own, and that the seperation between them is more a matter of styling, features and a little horsepower???
Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 149
Default 2002 versus 2004 and later

About a month ago I had to make a decision between a 2002 and 2004 Spyder CC and based on all the great advice offered from this forum went with the more expensive (+$9,000) 2004. You may want to do a search for the "pick one" thread, there's a lot of good information especially the response from member "Borgenhard".

Member "Travis" also gave a very strong recommendation to stay away from the 2002/2003.

I am very pleased with my decision and just love to drive this car.

Tom

Tom

2004 Spyder (CC, Rosso Bologna, Vintage Package) sold
2011 Lexus ES 350 (wife's ride)
2008 BMW 750Li
Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 AM
InnerCircle

To be clear, I don't think 2003s are bad car. They just got better in later years. IMHO, 2002 would be a year to avoid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.