Maserati Forum banner

Power Steering Fluid

54K views 63 replies 18 participants last post by  tonylinc 
#1 ·
My power steering fluid needs topping-off & can't find any kind of specifications in the manual on it... what's a good brand of PS fluid to use on these cars?

#4 ·
I had to replace my power steering cooler radiator, got the fluid equivalent ( which he checked on the Mobil site) called Mobil ATF SHC, ( Synthetic Automatic transmission fluid), states on side for applications where Dextron IIE fluids are recommended..........hope this is of use.

P

#7 ·
...states on side for applications where Dextron IIE fluids are recommended..........hope this is of use.

PLEASE NOTE: The PS fluid spec'd for the 4200 Coupe is Dexron IId (not IIe).

Dexron IId is no longer made, and some of the newer formulations (like dexron V) can cause damage to seals in cars requiring the earlier fluids. From what I found, it appeared that IId was an extreme duty, high temperature ATF fluid.

I went through this same dance recently. Although Mobil synthetic ATF seems as though it would be acceptable from what is on their WEBsite, I found RedLine brand synthetic ATF (and also their PS fluid) explicitly stated they are a substitute for Dexron IId fluids and are what I used.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=50&pcid=9

Not available at Wal-mart, but I believe it is available at Pepboys and Autozone. I'm just not looking to monkey around with this car.

#12 ·
power steering fluid

I am in UK so pepboys and autozone are a bit far for me. I have plenty of Dextron 3 ATF will that do? I understand that Dextron 3 can be used instead of Dextron 2. They are both deep red in colour.

Pentosin 11s is less viscous and is a olive green in colour- I use it in the beemer 8 series. They are not miscible!

#18 ·
The only comment I would add is to check the color of the existing fluid before topping up. If it's red, I've read that that is the color of traditional type ATF and PS fluid.

HOWEVER some dealers are changing the systems over to CHF (central hydraulic fluid) type fluid like the one in the CambioCorsa F1 hydraulic gearbox circuit. BMW and VW use this fluid in their power steering system at present.

Perhaps someone here can confirm, but I believe these fluids are traditionally green.

#19 ·
BRIAN , i think ur right cuz my dealer says their using chf 202 and i noticed just at first glance i may add, that my fluid seems to be on the clear side. ill take a better look when i get home to see if its greenish. SEE this is where i got confused yesterday cuz the book says DEX II and the dealer in Naples said they used DEX ATF, then the dealer in Tampa SAID THEY USE chf 202. im going to see whats in my resevior and go with that

#20 · (Edited)
Turns out the parts guy Tampa Mas. is wrong. after he said they used chf202 i double checked today with the tech that actually works on the cars. he said do not use CHF for power steering. he said they use Valvoline NON SYNTHETIC Dexron II OR III and actually the book says this >>OIL TYPE ATF DEXRON II D LEV,SAE 10W. SO I have to ask why some of you here using Synthetic.. what am i missing here? is it just preference? SORRY but im editing this cuz i want to make sure i stated my car is 06GS and above is what my manual says. Maybe other years are synthetic.

#21 ·
First of all- to adress the confusion in your first post Dexron II, IId, IIe, and III are all ATF fluids -- Dexron is a manufacturer spec developed by GM (yeah, I know - it makes me sick to put anything like that in my car too).

Why synthetic? Well, not because it's synthetic but because Dexron IId spec transmission fluids are not produced any more. Neither is Dexron IIe, or Dexron III for that matter. I've been told anything with that label is either OLD stock, or mislabeled. If you can find Dexron IId -- then go for it.

In the absence of that, you need to use a fluid which is a specified replacement for Dexron IId ATF. That means it works under the same operating conditions, and will not damage the seals and components in the PS system.

My search led me to only 2 products that fit this bill: Redline PS fluid and Redline Synthetic ATF that I posted pics of earlier in this thread.

#22 ·
I went to MOBILE 1 website and found this under their ATF Fluids section >>>Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring: GM Dexron IIIH, GM Dexron IIIG, GM Dexron IIE, GM Dexron IID, GM Dexron II, GM Dexron, Ford Mercon, Voith H55.6335.3X, MAN 339 V1, Volvo 97340 and Volvo 97341

#24 ·
That sounds fine too. To me, using a reputable brand name is sometimes what is the most important when searching for substitute fluids. GM no longer supports* older fluids other than their current version - in this case Dexron VI. So any manufacturer can claim that their fluid meets some older spec. So, "trust" from the consumer is required that the fluid really is similar to that older spec, thus the need to use a reputable brand name.

*When GM licenses out their trademark product name, they are zealous in constantly checking that the licensee is meeting the specifications of that product. However, once the product has been superseded by a newer version, GM no longer checks or analyzes old spec product from the manufacturers. With regard to the new version of Dexron, GM states it is backwards compatible and that Dexron VI is fine to use in the older Dexron II and Dexron III applications. This, of course, has sparked numerous arguments in the internet forums.

#23 ·
So you may have a third option then.

I steered clear of the Mobil 1 because they are a international company that tends to tailor the fluids they offer market-by-market. Although that compatability is listed on the U.S. WEBsite, the bottles on the shelf here in Canada do not list it as a replacement for Dexron IId fluids.

I went the Redline route to feel 100% safe.

#27 ·
Bcube - that is right on!!!

#28 · (Edited)
Pffft.....their problems go much, much deeper than management -- and on both the engineering AND labor front.....and do they even have a mainstream OHC V-8 in their lineup yet?

You couldn't pay me to drive a GM designed or built car. You just couldn't.

Sorry, but the only people who think GM is "highly regarded in the engineering design world" are Americans, and that's just a result of misplaced pride. All told, the company is a complete and utter train wreck.

Anyways- time to get this thread back on track. The original poster asked about PS fluid :)

#29 ·
OK, I went to the local BMW dealership to see what they had, and found some Dexron-VI ATF fluid; it's synthetic, backwards-compatible with all earlier Dexron fluids, and... it's the right color as the P.S. fluid in my car (red), which is always a good sign. No joke, it's that color for a reason.

Unless anyone can tell me categorically that I shouldn't use this for any reason, I'm going with it.