Oil pressure Gauge light Flickering - Maserati Forum

Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Modern Maserati Coupe, Spyder, GS ::

Oil pressure Gauge light Flickering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 05:12 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 159
Angry Oil pressure Gauge light Flickering

My Oil Gauge light has been flickering along with the oil symbol on the dash even while the needle is at 70 psi. I had the the oil sensor replaced but the problem still persists. The oil pump is OK, the mechanic now feels this could be a grounding issue. So he is going to check all the grounds. Anybody ever experience this? BTW occasionally the CC flickers as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Master Mechanic
Sponsor

Maserati Life Posts: 1,252
Send a message via Yahoo to ECSofVirginia

We've seen a few different issues with the dashboard electronics. It could be a loose ground, it also need a software update. Sometimes the software in the modules get glitchy and need to be cleared and reprogrammed.

Exotic Car Specialties
www.exoticcarspecialties.com
201 Davis Dr. Suite L
Sterling, VA 20164
Old 08-27-2010, 04:31 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 148

sometimes random lights flash on and off on my dash... Often all of them will flash. For some reason, if I turn the key on and off three times it seems to re-set and all works normal....???

05 GS - silver/black
Old 08-27-2010, 08:35 AM
InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 563

I had the oil light flickering at idle issue. After hooking up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and seeing that in fact the oil pressure was right where it should be, the tech did some more in depth diagnosing and determined that the alternator wasn't putting out enough amps at idle, causing the lights to illuminate in error... It was replaced and the problem hasn't returned.

Andrew
Currently Maserati-less
Old 08-27-2010, 11:07 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 351

If its truly an electrical issue and not a low oil or mechanical problem, then its most likely the alternator and or battery. These cars will start and run normally, but if the charge is too low, it will randomly throw error codes. Check your battery, may need a fresh charge or replacement.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 2,906
Send a message via MSN to LORENZ-GS06

if u have low idle it doesnt help these things either. does anyone know what the proper idle is for our cars. mine is about 8rpm after warm up
Old 08-27-2010, 03:34 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 474

I was told by a tech that having your oil pressure gauge pegged at 70psi (i.e. after warm up) is symptomatic of the pressure sender shorting out inside. There could be issues involving the low pressure light related to this too, if your sender unit is bad.

I had a similar issue with mine. Would peg at 70psi on startup, then drop to around 35 when warmed up. When revving the engine agressively, the presure gauge would go lower (as opposed to higher) and even flash the low pressure light. Under just normal light throttle presure (cruising) it would load up with the throttle normally, hitting a high of 70psi at higher RPMs. it was the sudden revving that caused it to operate strange, in my case.

The tech though it could just be a loose connection, and it was -- so he was able to fix it for free when the car had it's oil change. Thing is, though - I wasn't watching him work on the car when it was fixed so I don't know where the "loose" connection for it was. Likely at the back of the block where I believe the sensor is, but who knows?
Old 08-27-2010, 06:50 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 159
Default I had the sender unit replaced

and it did not solve the problem
Old 08-28-2010, 03:20 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 1,685

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORENZ-GS06 View Post
if u have low idle it doesnt help these things either. does anyone know what the proper idle is for our cars. mine is about 8rpm after warm up
Lorez.. 8 RPM is normal

2005 Nero Coupe' CC Vintage
2005 Audi A8L Quattro
2005 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab
Old 08-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Maserati Life Posts: 2,906
Send a message via MSN to LORENZ-GS06

ok tks buzz, i thought i saw someone in here that said there rpm was at 10. not sure which thread it was in
Old 08-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 85

I have same problem:
My Oil Gauge light has been flickering along with the oil symbol on the dash. At 1000rpm have 5 Bar on the gauge and If i accelerate to 30000Rpm the oil presure goes to 2.5 and 1.5.???!!
I immediatly stopped ans check the oil level, it was good.

It was rainy so maybe a bad contact ?

Can you tell me how many volts I should have at the batery if the alternator is good ?
I have 12.67 v on the battery engine stopped ans 13.87 engine started.
thanks for help

Last edited by ahvlanico; 08-05-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:33 PM
InnerCircle

Maserati Life Posts: 5,871

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahvlanico View Post
Can you tell me how many volts I should have at the batery if the alternator is good ?
I have 12.67 v on the battery engine stopped ans 13.87 engine started.
thanks for help
13-14 volts is normal at the battery with the engine running.

(SOLD) 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa, Rosso Mondiale/Nero
Larini mufflers & X-pipe, Sport cats, FD sport springs, FD DBWEM, BMC air filter, FD brake pads
Old 08-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Maserati Life Posts: 85

ok thanks so the alternator is ok.

Please look this video to say if yours are same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UBzW...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-05-2012, 08:22 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 46

Bought Andrew224's gransport earlier this yr. I believe he had the oil sender unit and alternator already replaced but I still get the flickering light after driving aggressively on a warm day. Planning on putting some 10w60 oil in and seeing if that resolves it. My shop says oil sender looks good so will try new oil 1st.

-Kevin

06 Cayman S with 3.8 x51 swap, track modded
09 997.2S PDK
09 Cayenne Turbo
06 Maserati Gransport, FD Mods coming!
Old 08-05-2012, 10:29 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 55
Default Flickering Oil Pressure Light

I have an '03 Spyder with 35,000 miles and recently on three ocassions I happened to see the oil pressure dip just briefly and the light flickered on. In checking oil level, that was fine.

Service advisor at Maserati of Atlanta thinks it could be the sending unit but I haven't had them look at it yet. I thought I would keep an eye on it to see if it happens again.

Incidentally, recently when in Orlando I stopped by Ferrari of Central Florida. They have the engine for the Maserati on a stand for display. The fellow there was saying how difficult the sending unit is to reach as it is the very back of the engine - and it really is.
-Mike S.
Maserati Forum Maserati Forum Modern Maserati Coupe, Spyder, GS Oil pressure Gauge light Flickering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.