Has anyone done an engine swap in a Biturbo? - Maserati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 107 Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone done an engine swap in a Biturbo?

Hello, this is my first post but I've lurked around for a while.

I've always liked the Biturbo but been scared off by its reliability issues. I drove one (automatic) about 20 years ago and really liked it. It did snap oversteer on me, while making a left turn going through an intersection-LOL.

I've searched off-and- on for several years for anyone doing engine swaps and can't find anything. One would think that there would be some reliable engine swap out there that could be adapted/fabricated for the car. And, since they are so cheap to buy, you could have a nice reliable exotic. Maybe a japanese turbo 4, Porsche 944 engine, GM Quad4, etc?

Is there anything out there like this that's actually been done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 Old 02-25-2013, 05:57 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 659
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I saw a thread (not sure if here or somewhere else) on somone putting an S2000 Honda engine and transmission in a Biturbo Spyder. He also used the Honda steering rack and it was quite an undertaking. He had excellent detailed photos and am actually curious to see how it ended up.

Former '85 Biturbo E owner 20+ years ago.
post #3 of 107 Old 02-26-2013, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Maserati Life Posts: 2
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yikes! I think I found it. maserati biturbo race car project :: axiom1

These gusy are hardcore. Not your normal.....weld in motor mounts and bolt in a chevy 350. I wish there were other simler options. I really like the car but am not really willing to deal with their problems.

post #4 of 107 Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Maserati Life Posts: 440
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I know the V8 biturbo engine out of a Shamal, QP IV and 3200GT swap right in with minor modification,
if your going for a Honda swap i'd take a look in to C-Series V6 engine that would keep the car in the spirit of a Maserati but then reliable,

If your turbo's are in good shape you could swap those over.

post #5 of 107 Old 01-23-2015, 11:40 PM

Maserati Life Posts: 124
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Yes, I have installed a Lexus 1UZ-FE V8 engine into a Maserati Biturbo. It's amazing. Feel free to PM me, it's not a simple thing to do, but you can put any engine you want in a Maserati Biturbo.
post #6 of 107 Old 01-24-2015, 03:09 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 105
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade View Post
Yes, I have installed a Lexus 1UZ-FE V8 engine into a Maserati Biturbo. It's amazing. Feel free to PM me, it's not a simple thing to do, but you can put any engine you want in a Maserati Biturbo.
Do you have any pictures of the finished product? What transmission and differential did you use?
post #7 of 107 Old 01-24-2015, 11:45 AM

Maserati Life Posts: 659
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
We need pics!!!!

Former '85 Biturbo E owner 20+ years ago.
post #8 of 107 Old 01-24-2015, 01:05 PM

Yes sir!

Here's the car, been working on it for a month or two. It has the Automatic transmission and the engine from a Lexus LS400 in a Maserati Biturbo. It hasn't driven yet, but it's nothing more than a driveshaft away from driving around the block. It had to have the firewall cut out and the engine pushed back into the cab, plus a new trans tunnel fabricated. It's all in, doing the roll cage now..

I still have to re-assemble the interior, but you get to hear the open headers and the car running.
And a video of the engine running IN the car-
post #9 of 107 Old 01-24-2015, 01:07 PM

I'm in Cleveland Ohio, but I don't like most American attitudes on US forums, so I frequent the UK ones, where everyone is polite and friendly. Here is a complete build thread from a UK based site called Retro Rides:
1985 Maserati Biturbo 1UZFE Transplant | Retro Rides

Last edited by Grenade; 01-24-2015 at 01:45 PM.
post #10 of 107 Old 01-25-2015, 11:47 AM

Hi- I finally got to play with my toy today. Tomorrow will be minor braces & final welding, but this cage is IN. It's exactly like I pictured it in my rattling little brain. There will be sound proofing, floor carpeting and partial Maserati door cards. I think I can start the body work soon.
Once it's all painted and assembled, it'll look cool- it won't seem like such a stripped out old thing. I was going for what's basically a street legal rally car. With the reconstruction of the floors, firewall & trans tunnel, there was no way this car made sense to try and restore. So we decided to turn it into something loud and tire shredding.

When the wheel spacers arrive, I'll pull it outside into the daylight and take pics with proper wheels on it. I'm looking for a rear boot lid spoiler if anyone has one, PM me.
post #11 of 107 Old 01-25-2015, 09:06 PM

Garage
Very impressive. I always ways wanted to do something like that but I lack the mechanical knowhow. This thing will fly when it's done. People don't realize how light weight that V8 actually is. All that power and torque in such a lightweight car, what a blast! Are you planning to use the stock Diff? I'm not sure if it can take it. Brakes might need an upgrade too. Keep posting your progress, very exciting!

Your project reminds me of a Matt Farah drives Lexus V8 powered '75 Corolla. The only thing is this guy adapted a manual transmission. See link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJMAy7Z6zys
post #12 of 107 Old 01-25-2015, 09:20 PM

Garage
Grenade, I forgot to mention. If you checkout that youtube video of the Corolla, check out the headers. The guy fabricated 180 degree header which make that lexus V* sound like a Ferrari flat plane crank engine. Thought you would find that interesting.

Cheers

1979 Merak SS (Isabella) - sold
1987 Biturbo Si (Francesca)
2003 4200 Coupe Gt (Grey Mare)
2005 CLK 320
2007 E350
2008 C300
(Yes, I name my cars, but only if they have personalities)
post #13 of 107 Old 01-25-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcorati View Post
Grenade, I forgot to mention. If you checkout that youtube video of the Corolla, check out the headers. The guy fabricated 180 degree header which make that lexus V* sound like a Ferrari flat plane crank engine. Thought you would find that interesting.

Cheers
Matt Farah is cool, I liked watching him when he was on "The car show" although it was short lived. That Corolla video is freaking amazing! My headers are so tight in the car, but yes- I find that fascinating and am now beginning to rethink my exhaust, when I get there. I posted that video on my regular car forum- what a build.

He said in the video that he has over 4,000 hours in the car. They didn't mention money, but I bet it's quite high. As far as the manual transmission- there are several options for me to use one, but the build cost shoots up an additional $3,000 and let's just say that I won't have too much more than that- in this entire car, after wheels, paint, everything. The purpose of this one, was fun & challenging but only for me. When it's done, I'll sell it and be on to something bigger, better and faster. I'm just keeping the build costs low on this one.
post #14 of 107 Old 01-25-2015, 11:55 PM

I emailed Matt Farah.. maybe when my car is completed, he'll take a look at it. (yeah- right)

This cage, was really time consuming. I've built cages before, but usually the car has no glass in it and you can weld easily. This thing was like a SMOKING TENT! I banged my head 100 times, my welding helmet was totally pissing me off, this was tough. But it looks like I had envisioned it would. Now that I can post pics and talk about it, the last 2 days were awesome. While I was actually doing it? Umm, no I was swearing & cursing out loud. You know the drill...
post #15 of 107 Old 01-26-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcorati View Post
Very impressive. I always ways wanted to do something like that but I lack the mechanical knowhow. This thing will fly when it's done. People don't realize how light weight that V8 actually is. All that power and torque in such a lightweight car, what a blast! Are you planning to use the stock Diff? I'm not sure if it can take it. Brakes might need an upgrade too. Keep posting your progress, very exciting!

Your project reminds me of a Matt Farah drives Lexus V8 powered '75 Corolla. The only thing is this guy adapted a manual transmission. See link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJMAy7Z6zys

Yes, you're right. The rear diff is likely to explode. The brakes, might as well be made of bottle caps. I'm going to test drive it. If it's unsafe and hideous- then I will buy an Audi and start welding the suspension under this car. Hopefully- it will be alright.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode